DoIaF AAR

GMd by presser84. Winner: Tagaryen (shockj)

Re: DoIaF AAR

Postby lecrae » 04 May 2013, 19:37

Zadaron wrote:I'm surprised that people thought Targaryen would be weak! While they only start with 2 centers, they have a great position, they can grow unimpeded early while everyone else is almost guaranteed to come into conflict immediately.

How come everyone feared the "alliance" between Baratheon and Lannister? I was busy trying to defend my home centers from the start and i was just praying Baratheon wouldn't snatch King's Landing.

I too am curious why people wanted iu dead so early.
lecrae

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1282)
All-game rating: (1292)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby stalin813 » 05 May 2013, 01:48

I don't think it was fear so much as a good acceptable rationale for everyone to follow to attack you. As in, "look, if they survive the early game, it will be a tough nut to crack" All 5 other players could easily agree to this and thus a sort of clear the center alliance was born.
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)

Postby presser84 » 05 May 2013, 02:16

stalin813 wrote:I don't think it was fear so much as a good acceptable rationale for everyone to follow to attack you. As in, "look, if they survive the early game, it will be a tough nut to crack" All 5 other players could easily agree to this and thus a sort of clear the center alliance was born.

Did the fact that Tyrell or Targ could do very little to you early (distance and the mountains)?
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)

Postby stalin813 » 05 May 2013, 05:29

The fact is SOD borders all three of my SCs, and is absolutely crucial that Baratheon doesn't occupy. As a result, any "excuse" to attack him and justify it was good enough for me.
stalin813

Postby presser84 » 05 May 2013, 06:05

stalin813 wrote:The fact is SOD borders all three of my SCs, and is absolutely crucial that Baratheon doesn't occupy. As a result, any "excuse" to attack him and justify it was good enough for me.

it seems though that the lack of potential pressure from Tyrell makes that easier though. Lannister/Greyjoy have a similar issue with Golden Sea touching 2 of their centers each.

Are you saying there is no way as the map is currently set up that Martell and Baratheon can ally? I see if somewhat like Russia and Turkey with the Black Sea. They both start with fleets across from each other, where allowing the other in would not bode well but at the same time they may need each other's peace.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)

Postby stalin813 » 05 May 2013, 06:55

presser84 wrote:
stalin813 wrote:The fact is SOD borders all three of my SCs, and is absolutely crucial that Baratheon doesn't occupy. As a result, any "excuse" to attack him and justify it was good enough for me.

it seems though that the lack of potential pressure from Tyrell makes that easier though. Lannister/Greyjoy have a similar issue with Golden Sea touching 2 of their centers each.

Are you saying there is no way as the map is currently set up that Martell and Baratheon can ally? I see if somewhat like Russia and Turkey with the Black Sea. They both start with fleets across from each other, where allowing the other in would not bode well but at the same time they may need each other's peace.

It's not balanced for Martell. Let baratheon into SOD and he has access to 3 SCs of yours. Only one other space on the board borders three SCs and its a a land space up by Starks which you can't move to in the 1st two years! never mind season 1. It is not the black sea, because the risk is far greater to martell than it is to Baratheon.
stalin813

Postby Blackfish » 05 May 2013, 07:15

presser84 wrote:I'll give you guys this sneak peak

added more texture, and changed the coloring and the units themselves so they would stand out better against the background. I also removed the mountains in the south. I think this looks pretty good and honestly, just removing those mountains looks like it balances the center and the south more.

Starting-Map.gif

Just a heads up on the new map: Tyrosh isn't clearly defined as an SC. The black dot is hidden.
"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war." - Plutarch

Game History
Blackfish

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby Blackfish » 05 May 2013, 07:18

Stalin, I have to ask you a question that has been plaguing me since Spring 301AL.

Would you have attacked me soon, had I not attacked you, due to the reasons I mentioned in my AAR?

The truth now! Don't be shy! The game's over! :lol:
"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war." - Plutarch

Game History
Blackfish

Postby stalin813 » 05 May 2013, 07:23

No, my plan was to attack Targ all along. The mountains were such a good buffer, I had hoped that would work out. But as soon as you did attack, I turned around.
stalin813

Postby Blackfish » 05 May 2013, 07:43

stalin813 wrote:No, my plan was to attack Targ all along. The mountains were such a good buffer, I had hoped that would work out. But as soon as you did attack, I turned around.

:? I was needing justification for my paranoia.

So, Paranoia cost me everything. I need to talk to my shrink. :lol: :lol:

Game History
Blackfish

PreviousNext

Return to Game 1