DoIaF AAR

GMd by presser84. Winner: Tagaryen (shockj)

DoIaF AAR

Postby presser84 » 30 Apr 2013, 06:36

Reserved for AARs.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: DoIaF AAR

Postby Blackfish » 30 Apr 2013, 10:54

Mine is on the way. Give me a day or two. ;)
"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war." - Plutarch

Game History
Blackfish

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby letram13 » 30 Apr 2013, 18:32

The Starks allied with Greyjoy and Targaryean immediately and made the Arryns their enemy. Early on after the fall of the Arryns we considered attacking Targaryean (especially considering the metagame issue), but I decided that shockj seemed trustworthy enough. Then we got stabbed by Targaryean and Greyjoy pretty much simultaneously, and that was all she wrote. Good job taking the solo though shock, at least stabbing me ended up being worth it :D I look forward to more games!
Lord Rickon Stark and his loyal Shaggydog in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
Sultan of The Ottoman Empire in History of the World
Russia in 1700 Diplomacy Variant

GM of Ancient HOTW

Timezone - Pacific GMT -8
letram13

Standard rating: (1127)
All-game rating: (1134)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby presser84 » 30 Apr 2013, 19:28

letram13 wrote:The Starks allied with Greyjoy and Targaryean immediately and made the Arryns their enemy. Early on after the fall of the Arryns we considered attacking Targaryean (especially considering the metagame issue), but I decided that shockj seemed trustworthy enough. Then we got stabbed by Targaryean and Greyjoy pretty much simultaneously, and that was all she wrote. Good job taking the solo though shock, at least stabbing me ended up being worth it :D I look forward to more games!

I think you meant Baratheon instead of Arryn
presser84

Postby letram13 » 30 Apr 2013, 20:16

I think so too, lol. The last two games started to blur together, I was thinking about attacking asudevil in the previous game. You are right. I actually considered attacking Targaryean right away, but decided to try and ally with both Island powers on either side of me, hoping they would be happy to use me as the army (while I had fleet allies on both sides). But I actually set myself up to be stabbed on both flanks.

I always am too friendly with everyone, and then never want to stab. But you just can't be allied with too many people in a game of diplomacy otherwise you make no progress.
Lord Rickon Stark and his loyal Shaggydog in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
Sultan of The Ottoman Empire in History of the World
Russia in 1700 Diplomacy Variant

GM of Ancient HOTW

Timezone - Pacific GMT -8
letram13

Standard rating: (1127)
All-game rating: (1134)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby presser84 » 30 Apr 2013, 20:17

letram13 wrote:I always am too friendly with everyone, and then never want to stab. But just can't be allied with too many people in a game of diplomacy otherwise you make no progress.

hard lesson to learn and always difficult to balance. Like dancing on the edge of a knife.
presser84

Postby stalin813 » 02 May 2013, 04:11

I would like to comment that Martell is by far the worst starting position in this game, followed by Baratheon. You are bottled up in the south and can't really strike fast at anything without leaving a major hole open for someone to drive right through. I tried allying with Tyrell and Targ to take out Baratheon, which worked but left me open to stabs from both of them. Better luck next time.
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)

Postby lecrae » 02 May 2013, 04:20

I am going to point this out, me and Zadaron shared King;s Landgin, and guessed who were the first two out? I think that may have to do eith the imbalance, although it was a fun game, I managed to survive for a while, although I was dissapointed BLackfish didn;t tell me straight up tht he was going to get me out. Did anyone wasn't to attack me becuase of the peace on King's Landing?
lecrae

Standard rating: (1282)
All-game rating: (1292)

Postby presser84 » 02 May 2013, 05:05

here's you all go

presser84

Postby presser84 » 02 May 2013, 05:29

lecrae wrote:I am going to point this out, me and Zadaron shared King;s Landgin, and guessed who were the first two out? I think that may have to do eith the imbalance, although it was a fun game, I managed to survive for a while, although I was dissapointed BLackfish didn;t tell me straight up tht he was going to get me out. Did anyone wasn't to attack me becuase of the peace on King's Landing?

yeah I noticed this too. The corners and north seamed to converge into the middle. Having to defend a shared center, multiple spaces away from the core of your centers, AND be in the center of the map in that environment seems like a challenge. I felt Targ and Greyjoy had strong potential if they got started because of their somewhat difficult to access starting centers.

I don't know if the outcome was a result of balance, the diplomats involved here, game circumstance, all of they above. The map doesn't always have to be balanced if all the players are aware of the imbalances and adjust accordingly. I'll say this, the mountains in the south should be removed. They basically tailor a NAP between Tyrell and Martell for the first couple years. That bodes poorly for Baratheon since they are the only target in that scenario. I see Greyjoy attacking Lannister as England attacking France in the regular game. They would, interestingly, probably need a Stark Lannister Tyrell alliance to defeat them. Tyrell may or may not do this. Obviously in this game it was easier to go through Lannister than support them. Was that because of the unit forced to defend KL? possibly. Maybe Baratheon and Lannister should start with an extra unit but would need to gain a center to maintain that number of units?
presser84

Next

Return to Game 1