Another Song of Ice and Fire\Game of Thrones map?

GMd by presser84. Winner: Tagaryen (shockj)

Another Song of Ice and Fire\Game of Thrones map?

Postby Blackfish » 28 Oct 2012, 06:54

I was browsing the web and stumbled across this map of Westeros on the DipWiki and decided that it would be really fun to play on. I didn't make the map and claim no credit for it, I don't even know if it has been posted on this forum before and I apologise if it has.
I'm not sure if the link will work but it's worth a try:
http://cmtk3.webring.org/l/rd?ring=dipl ... of_Thrones
The only problems that I found with this map is that the Targaryens seem to have a little bit of a disadvantage in terms of accessible supply points, the creator has placed Deepwood Motte and Horn Hill in the wrong places, but apart from those things, it looks fine.

Can't wait to get resposnses on this and hope to play this variant soon!
Last edited by Blackfish on 14 Nov 2012, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war." - Plutarch

Game History
Blackfish

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+10

Re: Another Song of Ice and Fire\Game of Thrones map?

Postby presser84 » 28 Oct 2012, 09:54

We are currently playing a Westeros Diplomacy variant that I created and GM. viewforum.php?f=459

I like this one that you posted too. Much truer to the books in that they have the Targaryens and bring in more neutrals form the east (Braavos, Pentos etc). In my variant I focused only on Westeros (why I called it Westeros Diplomacy instead of Game of Throne or ASOIAF Diplomacy).

It certainly looks playable...though I don't like Beyond the Wall as a neutral center, The Sheild Islands as Neutral center, and the Targaryens starting in Dragonstone....However, I'd happily GM it when I was done with Westeros Diplomacy or play it if someone else wanted to GM it.

**edit** I also kind of like how fleets can sail inland via certain rivers....definitely worth a go I think.

**edit2** ohhhh and Kings Landing is a neutral center that supplies a unit to both Lannister and Baratheon to start the game....very clever design....Liking it more and more as I read.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Blackfish » 28 Oct 2012, 13:23

I have been testing this variant out on paper with a few friends and it doesn't seem unbalanced. The diplomacy of the game now centres around a struggle between Baratheons and Lannisters for King's Landing and the Targaryens on dragonstone can be the deciding factor in who gets King's Landing. The Stormlands, Dornish Marches and surrounding provinces are major war zones, staying very true to the Song of Ice and Fire books. Many of the neutral supply centres are easily contested on the first turn, for example: The Shield Islands can be caught in a stalemate between the Lannister and Tyrell fleets on the first turn, as can Beyond the Wall, between Greyjoy and Stark forces. I'm also a fan of the rivers making inland provinces into coastal provinces.
"You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war." - Plutarch

Game History
Blackfish

Postby Blackfish » 28 Oct 2012, 13:31

Also, I have no idea how to GM as I am new to this site, and subsequently, forum games. Not new to online play or diplomacy itself, though!

Game History
Blackfish

Postby carter342 » 28 Oct 2012, 15:45

I was going to have a break from dip for a while (apart from my commitments in Viking) but I would be very interested in playing this variant. I just finished the last book out and I need my fix! I wasn't able to throw my hat in quick enough when Presser84 game was presented :(
carter342

Class: Diplomat
Timezone: GMT

Postby Blackfish » 29 Oct 2012, 07:01

I think we can get enough people interested in this game. We just need someone to volunteer as GM.

Game History
Blackfish

Postby presser84 » 29 Oct 2012, 07:03

Blackfish wrote:I think we can get enough people interested in this game. We just need someone to volunteer as GM.

I would GM it when I was done with Westeros DIplomacy. If you can wait, PM Pedros and see if there are any available GMs who might be interested.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby carter342 » 29 Oct 2012, 19:54

Presser84 wrote:I would GM it when I was done with Westeros DIplomacy. If you can wait, PM Pedros and see if there are any available GMs who might be interested.

I don't mind waiting, I'm not too keen on playing two Forum games at the same time. Thanks for the offer of GMing for it though!
carter342

Class: Diplomat
Timezone: GMT

Postby Blackfish » 29 Oct 2012, 22:27

I message Pedros. He said he passed the link to GMs, although, most are busy with games already, like presser.

Game History
Blackfish

Postby shockj » 14 Nov 2012, 09:11

I'd get in on this if it started after our current Westeros ended. Really digging this variant.
Slay classy.

Washington wrote:Shockj has been known to go rouge on occasion
shockj

Timezone: GMT-6

Next

Return to Game 1