Deadline Exception Failure

Miscellaneous information about using the site.

Deadline Exception Failure

Postby Will the Great » 24 Aug 2020, 03:57

Hey folks. I'm a player in game #181823. Yesterday August 22nd a deadline exception for August 23rd was proposed and accepted. However today, the Orders phase proceeded to advance as scheduled. What gives? This feature is very poorly documented.
"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe
Will the Great

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1080)
All-game rating: (1086)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Deadline Exception Failure

Postby super_dipsy » 24 Aug 2020, 07:41

If you mean the latest exception request, it has not been accepted by everyone.

If you mean the earlier one that has finished, I suspect the problem is that unfortunately all times on Playdip are Central European Time (where the servers are). This is the same issue that affects people with things like 'no processing at weekends'. So when someone requested a pause for Aug 23rd, it gives you a pause from midnight to midnight CET. If for example you are on the West Coast, this is actually a pause from 3pm on Aug 22nd - 3pm on Aug 23rd.

Unfortunately there is no way around this issue. For example, trying to fix it for the weekends issue for everyone would mean a 'no weekends' excpetion would turn into a 3 day exception because it would have to allow for people 12 hours ahead and 12 hours behind.

Perhaps what we could do is to put something on the page where you can request a pause that states it is CET. That might help, although in my experience people would ignore it because they wouldn't 'see' it ;)
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Deadline Exception Failure

Postby condude1 » 25 Aug 2020, 06:37

super_dipsy wrote:Perhaps what we could do is to put something on the page where you can request a pause that states it is CET. That might help, although in my experience people would ignore it because they wouldn't 'see' it ;)

Couldn't you just have the message state which phase the extension would start in, assuming no one finalizes? Put a disclaimer about finalization potentially changing it and to double check the time the day it happens.

Although I see the problems inherent with that too...
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Return to Information