Pause Mechanics

Miscellaneous information about using the site.

Pause Mechanics

Postby Jegpeg » 26 Jan 2018, 02:26

I have proposed a pause in a game (138702), everyone claims to have agreed to it except one player who had his remaining units destroyed in the previous turn (spring) and will probably lose his remaining centres this winter. If my calculations are right if we have a there are no finalises the build phase should finish about 1 hour before the first day of the pause CET. This raises a few questions about pause requests:

If a player has no units and his only supply centre is not a home centre I assume he is still alive regarding votes for pauses. If this happens would a mod be willing to impose a pause manually?

Do pause requests expire (obviously they expire at the end of the requested period but do they expire after a certain period or at the start of the pause request period)?

If a player is eliminated is there a check for the pause request to be accepted?

If the above answers and my maths or a processing delay means the pause is rejected can you request a pause with today as the start date that will come into action as soon as everyone has agreed, even if it is the next day before everyone sees it?
Jegpeg

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Pause Mechanics

Postby super_dipsy » 26 Jan 2018, 08:30

The simple way to think of it is the Pause Proposal mechanics are a copy of the Draw Proposal mechanics. So yes, everyone has to agree, and sadly the game software does not distinguish between having a supply centre that is a national centre and one that isn't. The sw just counts your centres and if it is not 0 you are alive. However, in your situation I would be happy to implement the pause if the only hold out is actually dead but the sw has not realized it. Also, just as draw requests, they do expire after the same period (can't remember what it is, I think it is a year but it is whatever it is for a draw proposal), and status is checked every turn processing to see if all active players have accepted. However, the Pause Proposal mechanism does not account for the times specified in the proposal. So for example, if a Pause request is accepted half way into the Pause period requested, it still takes effect.

It might also help to outline how the actual Pause works. Basically, once a pause is accepted two things happen:
- A game processing exception is added just like when you say 'no weekends' or something. Then, whenever a turn is processed, the new deadline is checked to see if it falls in the exception period. If it does, it is moved beyond that period.
- If the CURRENT deadline at the point the Pause is accepted lies within the Pause times, the deadline is immediately moved beyond

I hope this helps.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)

Postby Jegpeg » 26 Jan 2018, 20:33

Thanks Dipsy
Jegpeg

Postby Jegpeg » 26 Jan 2018, 23:22

It looks as if the pause expired in the fall turn that France was eliminated, so I've set up another vote.

This raises an issue which might be better in suggestions (let me know if you want me to repost).

If a pause or draw proposal expires in a fall turn wouldn't it make more sense to eliminate the dead players, the see if any proposals have unanimous support and then check for expiry conditions on the proposals:

Of course this might already be the case and in my game someone was not entirely truthful when they posted they had agreed to the pause on PP. :shock:
Jegpeg

Return to Information