Site Database

Miscellaneous information about using the site.

Site Database

Postby mhsmith0 » 26 Dec 2017, 01:35

I've heard that there's a database that's somehow accessible of specific game data. Is there a how to on how to access that data? Among other things I'm curious if there's something that shows the full moves list and supply center count by power by game. If that's not public, no worries, but in case it was, I figured I'd ask about how to access that data to do some analysis.
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1269
All-game rating: 1439
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Site Database

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 26 Dec 2017, 03:04

mhsmith0 wrote:I've heard that there's a database that's somehow accessible of specific game data. Is there a how to on how to access that data? Among other things I'm curious if there's something that shows the full moves list and supply center count by power by game. If that's not public, no worries, but in case it was, I figured I'd ask about how to access that data to do some analysis.

To my knowledge dipsy is the only one with access to the database.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of Sengoku, Heptarchy 14.

NorthEast

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1225
All-game rating: 1407
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Eleusinian » 26 Dec 2017, 03:59

What about Bobby Tables?
Eleusinian

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (984)
All-game rating: (981)
Timezone: GMT

Postby super_dipsy » 26 Dec 2017, 10:24

There is no easy way to get what you want. We have no Business Intelligence front end, so any data has to come from the raw SQL tables. In order to get a complete picture of a game you need to look at multiple tables together (or rather some of the fields in some of the tables). The data is Very Large too - for example the Orders database where all the orders for each game are kept for ever is >10GB (not really surprising since we have coming on for 150K games on the site so far). So dumping it is not really practical. Without a BI tool we are reduced to me trying to come up with sensible little MySQL calls and dumping the results, or knocking up a little program to trot through and put together the desired data in the desired format.

Even then, I am not sure how you would process a 50M line file of orders for every game played without some form of automation...

What we really need is someone to spring for a nice BI package which we could hook up to the tables!
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)

Postby duckling » 26 Dec 2017, 10:36

Has there been any research into possible analytics tools?
duckling
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1139
All-game rating: 1163
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby rd45 » 26 Dec 2017, 12:12

rd45

Standard rating: 1318
All-game rating: 1344

Postby duckling » 26 Dec 2017, 13:02

Yeah, there are plenty of tools.
I was wondering whether someone had looked at what tools would be suitable for the kind of data the Playdiplomacy DB holds.
I have seen a couple of threads on this subject in the past, so I thought maybe someone had some more experiences on that(?)
duckling
Premium Member

Postby duckling » 26 Dec 2017, 14:20

[edited the Splunk version. It’s the full version download that is free, not the cloud version]

MS Power BI has a lot of good options, and can probably be run with the free version.
Downside is that functionality is limited in the free version.
A good upside is that it’s well suited to sharing reports online, and the first “upgrade” is only $10/user/month if you need license for multiple users.

Splunk Free version is another awesome tool. There’s almost no end to how you can bend your data around.
Downside is that the data export might require a substantial piece of work, and the free version limits data indexing to 500MB per day. So getting started could be cumbersome.
Upside is that the free version has no limitations on functionality, and once you have data exports running (automated), it’s pretty smooth sailing. And the data is “data model agnostic”, meaning there’s no fear of getting locked in to a data model that limits your options later.
duckling
Premium Member

Return to Information