Viewing Old Game's PMs

Miscellaneous information about using the site.

Re: Viewing Old Game's PMs

Postby super_dipsy » 06 Jun 2017, 15:47

I meant to say PDF, but typed ODF!

As for content, if I can get it to work then it doesn't really mater WHAT we put in it. Just as easy to put all the maps in too. This was one of the thoughts behind it; we delete maps / messages after a period of time to save space, but if people have a PDF they can keep it in their OWN storage for as long as they like! :)
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)
Timezone: GMT

Postby StarWatcher009 » 06 Jun 2017, 15:52

Is it possible to request specific games to be saved? Maybe if each user had one game they could 'save' permanently.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1055
All-game rating: 1466

Postby MichaelG » 06 Jun 2017, 17:01

super_dipsy wrote:it is something we have toyed with. I have just let it slide :(. Maybe it is time to reawaken it.

What I was planning was that we have installed the libraries to create ODFs, and at the end of the game I was thinking we could create a PDF of all the moves, the maps and your own messages sent and received. This could then be emailed to you for your own records, for you to keep for posterity. But it is quite a bit of work.....

That would be awesome! Might be something to make premium-only?
MichaelG

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Wethalon » 06 Jun 2017, 17:05

Game history PDFs would be awesome, and a great feature for promoting the site!!
Wethalon

Standard rating: (1695)
All-game rating: (1793)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Nibbler » 07 Jun 2017, 08:05

I know this has been answered but, as it came up again - almost in passing - DMs/PMs between powers should never be shown, in any form. It defeats the point of them being direct/private.

Personally I'm happy to share my strategy, tactics and philosophy. I spout off about that kind of thing enough! But I don't necessarily want anyone to know how I apply this brand of Dip madness.

But the key point is that publishing full press after a game is something that shouldn't be expected. Unless it's an exhibition game which is a different kettle of pish.

(Nudge to the mentors: exhibition games, with published press and follow-up Q & A sessions?).
Respect neither opinions nor beliefs; only respect the person and the right to express them.
Play by the rules but be ferocious.
Across the Board Diplomacy Blog and Site (always looking for contributions!)
Nibbler

Standard rating: (974)
All-game rating: (974)

Postby Bromley86 » 07 Jun 2017, 09:24

MichaelG wrote:
super_dipsy wrote:it is something we have toyed with. I have just let it slide :(. Maybe it is time to reawaken it.

What I was planning was that we have installed the libraries to create ODFs, and at the end of the game I was thinking we could create a PDF of all the moves, the maps and your own messages sent and received. This could then be emailed to you for your own records, for you to keep for posterity. But it is quite a bit of work.....

That would be awesome! Might be something to make premium-only?

Great idea! I've got an appalling memory, and there have been times that I wanted to see how a certain situation actually panned out (although I could stop being lazy and post AARs, but reviewing the messages once the links are broken is irritating). So definitely makes sense as a premium bonus.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Standard rating: 1880
All-game rating: 2233
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby asudevil » 07 Jun 2017, 12:25

Nibbler wrote:I know this has been answered but, as it came up again - almost in passing - DMs/PMs between powers should never be shown, in any form. It defeats the point of them being direct/private.

Personally I'm happy to share my strategy, tactics and philosophy. I spout off about that kind of thing enough! But I don't necessarily want anyone to know how I apply this brand of Dip madness.

But the key point is that publishing full press after a game is something that shouldn't be expected. Unless it's an exhibition game which is a different kettle of pish.

(Nudge to the mentors: exhibition games, with published press and follow-up Q & A sessions?).

Letting an individual get all of THEIR PM's though...should be fine.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football next season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1371
All-game rating: 1534
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby super_dipsy » 08 Jun 2017, 15:00

Just to be clear, the idea I had was that you would have a PDF at game end emailed to you containing
- The map / move resolutions you would have seen on Order History
- All of your message folders as you have them today (so for example your France folder, your Austria folder, your Sent folder) (or perhaps all the in messages as an Inbox folder, might be easier)
- Contents of the Public Press

What you would NEVER see would be anything that was private to other players. You would never see the messages Germany sent to Russia if you were Italy for example. I am absolutely of the view that you HAVE to be able to write your comms in the knowledge they will stay between you and the recipient, potentially for ever more. If the recipient chooses to forward them, then they are never guaranteed to be what you sent anyway because the forwarded can of course compeltely reqrite them. If the recipient chooses to tell the world, again it doesn't matter because you could just laugh and say he makes up a good story. There is no proof. But having them as sent in the game is totally different.

Also, this would not be a PDF file stored here so anyone could see it. It would be your own personal property.

However, saomething has been brought up here that worries me a bit. I had not thought of it before. If yuor PDF contains all your communications with other countries, you could choose to publish them. Then someone's private comms they sent to you would now be visible to everyone. If everyone in the game except one player did that, that one player who did NOT want his messages exposed would now have them all out in the open. This may cause the idea to fail. I am not sure I can think of a way around it. The only thing I can think of is just including the Sent messages for each player, but since these often include messages to which you were replying, this doesn't help much either.

Oh dear. Maybe it doesn;t fly after all.
super_dipsy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (956)

Postby MichaelG » 08 Jun 2017, 18:46

Anything you send is already potentially public. A message can be forwarded. While you can claim they edited it, they can also screenshot it. A screenshot can be edited, but it's trickier. You can also get a screen capture program and record a video of yourself pulling up the message; that's pretty hard to modify, so that would be pretty much 99.99% proof of the content of the message.
MichaelG

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby WHSeward » 08 Jun 2017, 18:50

Any player that takes a screenshot and posts it would have violated a site rule and be subject to sanction for cheating.

Yes, people might cheat. If they do, there are consequences.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

PreviousNext

Return to Information