Classicist Application

If you wish yo join the Classicists group, post here.

Moderators: JonS, Buachaille, Fatmo

Re: Classicist Application

Postby gareth66 » 27 Jul 2013, 00:43

Ok, despite what I said in my previous post, some things still to be said here.

First, on the question of stats, I am grateful to sinny for pointing out to me something that I was unaware of and which explains a couple of things I have previously attributed to being just "anomolies" (but also which stretches the boundaries of logical sense to me!). This doesn't affect any of the decisions which have been made in respect of Classicist membership, but I was always of the impression that the stats include rank and norank games. It appears to be true that, whilst the surrender and NMR stats do indeed apply to both, the "games finished" count does indeed include rank games only. Why this discrepancy exists beats me, but I am grateful for sinny for clarifying the situation and I apologise for stating that she was incorrect.

Second, on the question of consideration of previous accounts, as far as precedent goes the point is precisely that I have no idea whether or not previous accounts have been ignored when considering membership applications (for the reasons already gone into - we don't ever get as far as looking into whether there are previous accounts to be considered or not. So the precedent is that to my knowledge a previous account has never been taken into account, and in the interests of consistency it would be wrong to do so for one player.

Third, on the question of adding countries to player names - need a bit more time to think about that one and would be interested if anyone else would find such a facility useful. Not ruling it out, but there are two immediate practical problems - one being that it would entail an awful lot of work, the other being that not all players give locations in their profiles.
gareth66

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Zack L1ghtman » 27 Jul 2013, 02:18

gareth66 wrote: Third, on the question of adding countries to player names - need a bit more time to think about that one and would be interested if anyone else would find such a facility useful. Not ruling it out, but there are two immediate practical problems - one being that it would entail an awful lot of work, the other being that not all players give locations in their profiles.

That's cool.

I think the best way to do it would be to make adding their country next to their name optional and to PM everyone in classicists and offer them the chance to put their country next to their name, and if they want it added they should reply saying they want it added and include their country in that reply.

That way, people get the option of adding their country or not wether it is in their profile or not - it also means less leg work as these people should include their country in their reply so you don't have to go check their profiles to find out.

EDIT: Or, in fact just create a topic for it, if people want their country added, they reply to the topic with their country - if they don't, they just don't reply.

Just an idea though :)

Penguin.
Last edited by Zack L1ghtman on 27 Jul 2013, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
PlayDiplomacy Chrome Extension

Download NOW!

Or find out more.
Zack L1ghtman

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (992)
All-game rating: (1062)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Petunia » 27 Jul 2013, 02:29

USA
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby sinnybee » 27 Jul 2013, 03:49

The Land of Oz, but Narnia when I'm on vacation ;).

gareth66 wrote:Why this discrepancy exists beats me

We used to only include ranked games in stats, then we / the admins decided that there's little reason why players should not be able to avoid surrenders and NMRs in norank games, so we added those 2 aspects of norank games to the stats. However, I think that we would find that solo and draw percentages would be different, that some do better in norank games and that some do worse in norank games. I think that most play norank strictly for the fun of the game, but as it is norank, don't want those results reported--norank kind of makes the results unofficial in my opinion.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Previous

Return to Applications