Non premium classicist

If you wish yo join the Classicists group, post here.

Moderators: JonS, Buachaille, Fatmo

Non premium classicist

Postby riskybiscuits » 22 Jul 2013, 23:46

Hello all. I'm interested in joining the classicists. But I'm not premium and can't see my stats. I have had the odd surrender - ironically for the reason I want to join the classicists - games where people haven't communicated/posted moves and they haven't been enjoyable. I don't quit if I'm losing though. Anyway, can I join if I'm not premium? I don't know what my move consistency is, but I imagine it should be good enough. Cheers
riskybiscuits

Class: Star Ambassador
All-game rating: (1517)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Non premium classicist

Postby sinnybee » 23 Jul 2013, 00:03

riskybiscuits
43 finished games
8 surrenders (rank games) (18.60% surrender rate)
1 surrenders (norank games) (20.00% surrender rate)
1656/1676 turns taken (98.81% consistency rate)

Joining requirements are specified.
You don't have to be premium.
You turn consistency is good enough for gold or lower Classicist membership.
Your finished game count is good enough for gold or lower Classicist membership.
However, your surrenders could be of concern. How many games have you finished (without surrendering) since your last surrender?
You say you don't quit if you're losing... is it better to quit if a player is winning?
Other than what you have said, do you have any excuses for any of your recent surrenders?
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby riskybiscuits » 23 Jul 2013, 20:00

Thanks Sinnybee (and Penguin for the PM with stats).
To be honest, my first couple of surrenders was when i was new and foolish and was in bad spirit. I have learnt my lesson. A couple were in games that were awful (one game as England neither Germany or France were replying to my messages and I want games with some "diplomacy"). Recently i havent had any surrenders other than one in error. Game "desmadre" i fought on as France but I missed a retreat order with my last unit due to computer issues so it destroyed. With no SCs left i thought i hit the 'ignore' button but hit surrender instead. None to happy but there you go.

My move consistency etc as you say is good enough, and I am fed up with games with 1902 NMRs etc (just had a solo in one but it felt pretty hollow :) ). So the question is, can my early transgressions be ignored and can I get in for the silver/gold or is it a no-go?

Thanks all
Mike
riskybiscuits

Postby riskybiscuits » 23 Jul 2013, 20:02

To back up my point, the below is copied from my stats page. The game surrendered is the one i mention above when i had no units left and thought it was an ignore. Other than that, clean....

Your rated games (games started from Feb 2nd 2013):

Girls - BB (GERMANY): 124
124 for solo victory
War (AUSTRIA): -29
-29 for defeat
desmadre (FRANCE): -31
-31 for surrender
Convoys Of Cutlery (ENGLAND): 128
128 for solo victory
Going in for the kill (RUSSIA): -44
-44 for defeat
War (GERMANY): 163
163 for solo victory
March Madness (AUSTRIA): -36
-36 for defeat
White Castle (TURKEY): 58
58 for draw with GERMANY
No Man's Land (TURKEY): -51
-51 for defeat
Insert Title Here (ENGLAND): 238
238 for solo victory
The dark side of the moon (AUSTRIA): -20
-20 for defeat
Whine Not (ENGLAND): 59
59 for draw with ITALY and AUSTRIA
The Game (ITALY): -53
-53 for defeat
I Like Soup (AUSTRIA): 49
49 for draw with ITALY and GERMANY and TURKEY
riskybiscuits

Postby sinnybee » 23 Jul 2013, 22:22

If we ignore the surrender in which you say you clicked surrender by accident (I believe you, but it's not up to me as I'm currently not active on the classicist team), then you have your last 13+ games without surrender, which certainly would make you eligible for membership.
Please stand-by for the arrival of a Classicist moderator.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby gareth66 » 24 Jul 2013, 11:55

Hi Risky

Many thanks for your application and for the information you have given in response to sinny's questions (and thanks too to sinny for those).

I've looked at all the relevant information and this is how I see it. Your game count and NMR rate is, as sinny has said, more than enough for membership at gold level. However, the concern is over the surrenders. Your last surrender was the one you described in the game "desmadre", and was on 28 June. Since then you have completed two games, so technically this is not enough games since your last surrender for admission yet. However, if we look at the circumstances of this surrender, you claim it was an accident intending to hit "ignore". As far as I can tell, the point at which this happened was at a stage in the game where you had no units (due to the destroy rather than retreat that you described) but still had one SC. The destroy was in a Spring move, which meant that you could not rebuild the unit immediately, and your remaining SC fell the following turn. The point at which you hit "surrender" must have been before you lost the SC (otherwise it would have been "ignore" that was available to you) and I, like sinny, am inclined to believe you that this was an accident.

In the circumstances therefore, I think a compromise ruling can be reached here. On the one hand, your NMR rate is good enough for gold. On the other, nine surrenders to your name is a concern and the fact that you have only completed two games since the last one would technically disqualify you from membership until three more games have been completed. However, accepting that this last surrender was an accident, but not having dug any deeper into the previous surrenders, I am happy at this stage to admit you to the Classicists as a Bronze member.

This is a probationary level of membership, from which a further surrender would be likely to result in eviction. However, I am optimistic from the way you have talked that surrendering is something you are seeking to move away from and if this group gives you an incentive to do that then that is great.

I am further happy to give you an undertaking that, once you have completed just 5 (not 8) further games, from the time of this ruling, with no surrenders (and assuming the NMR rate still qualifies) I will be pleased to promote you to Silver membership. For Gold, however, you will need to get to the 15 games since last surrender (the existing 2 plus another 13) that is stipulated in the constitution.

Hope you think that is fair and that you understand the reasoning behind this compromise. In the mean time - welcome to the Classicists!
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Postby riskybiscuits » 24 Jul 2013, 20:00

Thanks Gareth. Under the circumstances it seems a very fair compromise. So thanks and all that jazz. And without sounding flippant, is there any benefit to being platinum instead of bronze? Other than the self-satisfaction naturally?!

Regardless. I have space open for a game and am looking forward to playing my first classicist game. See if my recent good form holds up when people don't drop out ;)
riskybiscuits

Return to Applications