Lecrae14 - AAR

AoE-style game for 14 players on a map of Europe. Devised by lecrae, GMd by attitudes. 3-playeer draw: Pressser84 (Vienna); AardvarkArmy (Dublin), kerrmit (Madrid)

Re: Lecrae14 - AAR

Postby presser84 » 18 Jun 2013, 00:53

@attitudes, agree on all accounts.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby lecrae » 18 Jun 2013, 02:13

attitudes wrote:Thoughts on London starting in Edinburgh? I think it would provide more options, negotiating leverage, and gives Liverpool as the obvious second center.

I kind of like the idea of Zurich being neutral but I'm not sure about removing too many other nations. By making Zurich neutral, it would relieve the pressure in the middle of the board and allow the center nations a fighting chance against the corner nations.

I'd also rename the players by their country names rather than calling them by their capital cities (ie: Britain, Ireland, Spain instead of London, Dublin, Madrid, etc). I don't know about you, but I was confused when Moscow had to retreat from Bucharest. :?

I might try to run this again after summer is over with a few tweaks here and there. Keep the ideas coming. And Lecrae, please chime in with your thoughts on how the variant played out.

Well, I thought that it was pretty well balanced, however I did notice throughout the game that the corner powers had a bit more of an advantage, such as Ankara, Dulblin, and MAdrid. I think that if we take out one of the powers in the center, such as Zurich, then the tension in the center would be slightly relieved. Also, I noticed how Vienna grew to be strong when he wasn't fought against, some things such as that acan only be improved from experience, which is why I think we should give this variant another go!

Also, as far as putting it in Edinburgh, I think that would make it more so that England gets his Island while Dublin get's his, and can may weaken Dublin's strong starting position.
lecrae

Standard rating: 1288
All-game rating: 1325

Postby presser84 » 18 Jun 2013, 02:25

lecrae wrote:Also, as far as putting it in Edinburgh, I think that would make it more so that England gets his Island while Dublin get's his, and can may weaken Dublin's strong starting position.

I think that's the idea
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)

Postby marsman57 » 18 Jun 2013, 16:01

Starting London in Edinburgh would be interesting. It definitely makes building an army a feasible option (to grab Lvp in the Spring). Iceland is in play as well and there is more of a chance of going for Norway (no bounce in the North Sea with Cop or Bru) Meanwhile Bru and Bre now have Lon more in-play so they might consider a northward move more than before.

Removing Zurich would greatly improve the fortunes of Rome and Berlin without contention for Milan or Munich. If we really think corner powers are overpowered in general, that would do a lot to improve the stake of the middle powers. Heck, even Copenhagen would see gains as this is likely to help defuse immediate war with Berlin over Kiel.
marsman57

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1128)
Timezone: GMT

Postby AardvarkArmy » 18 Jun 2013, 17:50

I think removing the N Ireland supply center AND moving the English start to Edinburgh would be over-kill. It would knock Dublin/Ireland to a hopeless position. I think doing one or the other would be about right
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1050
All-game rating: 1370
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby marsman57 » 18 Jun 2013, 18:31

AardvarkArmy wrote:I think removing the N Ireland supply center AND moving the English start to Edinburgh would be over-kill. It would knock Dublin/Ireland to a hopeless position. I think doing one or the other would be about right

I meant to add that thought to my post. It is definitely one or the other.
marsman57

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1128)
Timezone: GMT

Postby lecrae » 18 Jun 2013, 23:32

AardvarkArmy wrote:I think removing the N Ireland supply center AND moving the English start to Edinburgh would be over-kill. It would knock Dublin/Ireland to a hopeless position. I think doing one or the other would be about right

Who suggested taking out Northern Ireland, that would be silly to do in my opinion, that would make England overpowered.
lecrae

Postby AardvarkArmy » 18 Jun 2013, 23:40

lecrae wrote: Who suggested taking out Northern Ireland, that would be silly to do in my opinion, that would make England overpowered.

marsman57...

... and I agree that it should be considered carefully. The move to Edi bight be the better option
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Postby lecrae » 19 Jun 2013, 00:22

When I made this variant, I made it so that most powers could get about 3 centers before having to go to war. Between England and Dublin, I thoguht that there was an even 3-3 split, and even myself I would have built an army that first year to snatch Liverpool.
lecrae

Postby AardvarkArmy » 19 Jun 2013, 00:32

lecrae wrote:When I made this variant, I made it so that most powers could get about 3 centers before having to go to war. Between England and Dublin, I thoguht that there was an even 3-3 split, and even myself I would have built an army that first year to snatch Liverpool.

I agree with this. It actually took a LOT of diplomatic coniving for me to get Liverpool.

While I acknowledge that Dublin, like ANY corner position in ANY game was a strong starter, they are also locked behind England perhaps more than any other nation is locked behind 1 specific opponent. Any serious moves to weaken Ireland will doom it completely.
SOLOS

DRAWS
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to lecrae 14 {All Maps Visible}