Lecrae14 - AAR

AoE-style game for 14 players on a map of Europe. Devised by lecrae, GMd by attitudes. 3-playeer draw: Pressser84 (Vienna); AardvarkArmy (Dublin), kerrmit (Madrid)

Re: Lecrae14 - AAR

Postby presser84 » 17 Jun 2013, 21:05

AardvarkArmy wrote:"Cost-Benefit" analysis of likelihood of successful solo vs likelihood of backfire is NOT a legitimate reason to accept a draw
"Exhaustion" is, ideed, the one truly legitimate reason to accept a draw

I am sooooo glad we got that cleared up!

Thanks again!

And remember to tip your servers!

CB and exhausted are not mutually exclusive.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby AardvarkArmy » 17 Jun 2013, 21:08

presser84 wrote:
AardvarkArmy wrote:"Cost-Benefit" analysis of likelihood of successful solo vs likelihood of backfire is NOT a legitimate reason to accept a draw
"Exhaustion" is, ideed, the one truly legitimate reason to accept a draw

I am sooooo glad we got that cleared up!

Thanks again!

And remember to tip your servers!

CB and exhausted are not mutually exclusive.

OK. I'm just happier than a pig in a slop-pond to finally understand that exhaustion trumps boredom in these matters. I will certainly carry that knowledge forward with me...

Thanks again!

And don't ever be fooled by that old "who's on first" routine... just re-name the dang players!
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1050
All-game rating: 1370
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby presser84 » 17 Jun 2013, 21:18

Boredom implies you know you can do more but don't want to put in the effort. Exhaustion means you've gone through the efforts to get more out of the game but are rejects, stalemated or breaking stagnation has significantly greater risk than reward.
presser84

Postby AardvarkArmy » 17 Jun 2013, 21:30

presser84 wrote:Boredom implies you know you can do more but don't want to put in the effort. Exhaustion means you've gone through the efforts to get more out of the game but are rejects, stalemated or breaking stagnation has significantly greater risk than reward.

cool!!!

story-problem time!

If Train A leaves Tokyo going south at 60kph and Train B leaves Kyoto going north at 40kph, how long does it take a grasshopper with a wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a pickle?
SOLOS
ICE&FIRE.1-Martell/EXCALIBUR.1-Angles/EXCALIBUR.2-Scots/EMERALD-Sno/MOD.4-Italy/SENGOKU.1-OdaNobu/S.AMERICA.1-Peru

DRAWS
1930-China/BattleIsleA-Winterfell/S&S-Turkey/WORLD INFL-Venezuela/LECRAE-Dublin/WWIV.2-Cali/IMPERIAL1861.1-Trky/YNGSTWN.1-Grmny/AMERICAS.2-Mex/AFRICAN.2-S.Arabia
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Postby attitudes » 17 Jun 2013, 22:03

Anything the two of you need to work out in private, by all means do so. No offense, but I think we've all heard enough on the current topic.

Any chance we can turn this discussion to whether or not the variant is actually playable?

To me, Madrid, Dublin, Ankara, and to an extent Vienna all have very powerful early game positions where London, Brussels, Bucharest, and a few others just seemed doomed from the get go. I wasn't at all surprised by the outcome.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Be careful when you blindly follow the masses. Sometimes, the M is silent.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby marsman57 » 17 Jun 2013, 22:34

I agree. I think the map is unbalanced. As I suggested in my AAR, I think N. Ire should not be an SC. I think similarly Morocco should be dropped as an SC to balance out Madrid. Ankara is a little more touchy because I don't think dropping an SC will do for the balance issue there as the region is a bit poor in them for Athens otherwise.

I'm not sure I agree about Vienna being that overpowered. He was just greatly aided by the death dance that Moscow and Bucharest performed. :)
marsman57

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1128)
Timezone: GMT

Postby presser84 » 17 Jun 2013, 23:36

Thoughts on Zurich starting as a neutral center?
presser84

Postby AardvarkArmy » 17 Jun 2013, 23:45

presser84 wrote:Thoughts on Zurich starting as a neutral center?

I think I would agree with that. Zurich obviously has a lousy starting position.

initially, I thought Zurich might serve to counter Madrid, by pushing towards Marseilles. But in hindsight, I think the muddle-in-the-middle just leaft a bunch of crippled mini-powers who could not slow down the corner juggernauts.
SOLOS

DRAWS
AardvarkArmy
Premium Member

Postby glacier777 » 18 Jun 2013, 00:14

marsman57 wrote:I'm not sure I agree about Vienna being that overpowered. He was just greatly aided by the death dance that Moscow and Bucharest performed.

AAR for Bucharest:
The Greek player suggested an alliance between me, him and Ankara. We began planning how we would divide up Eastern Europe. The next turn we got Vienna involved and we all agreed that I would go for Moscow that turn. It was going nicely as we were planning to eliminate Moscow and move onto Rome, Berlin and Copenhagen.
But all of sudden my closest ally, BigBert - Vienna, withdrew and was replaced by Presser. I could tell pretty much straight away that Presser was not keen on the alliance. Lawton also fell silent which left me and Athens. Vienna and Ankara were already ahead because me and Athens were launching attacks elsewhere. Me and Athens were stabbed that turn and pretty much gave up after that.

If BigBert hadn't have left then I think the East would have been more balanced but ultimately the game would have probably still ended up with three leaders.

I wasn't a big fan of this game but I've discovered that I'm not into Age of Empire games too.
I would definitely remove N Ire as an SC and remove Zurich as a country. Maybe remove Brussels and even Bucharest too.
Back on PlayDip after a 3 year hiatus

Silver member of the Classicists
glacier777

Standard rating: (1264)
All-game rating: (1278)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby attitudes » 18 Jun 2013, 00:31

Thoughts on London starting in Edinburgh? I think it would provide more options, negotiating leverage, and gives Liverpool as the obvious second center.

I kind of like the idea of Zurich being neutral but I'm not sure about removing too many other nations. By making Zurich neutral, it would relieve the pressure in the middle of the board and allow the center nations a fighting chance against the corner nations.

I'd also rename the players by their country names rather than calling them by their capital cities (ie: Britain, Ireland, Spain instead of London, Dublin, Madrid, etc). I don't know about you, but I was confused when Moscow had to retreat from Bucharest. :?

I might try to run this again after summer is over with a few tweaks here and there. Keep the ideas coming. And Lecrae, please chime in with your thoughts on how the variant played out.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Be careful when you blindly follow the masses. Sometimes, the M is silent.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

All-game rating: (1000)

PreviousNext

Return to lecrae 14 {All Maps Visible}