New Fourteen player variant!

AoE-style game for 14 players on a map of Europe. Devised by lecrae, GMd by attitudes. 3-playeer draw: Pressser84 (Vienna); AardvarkArmy (Dublin), kerrmit (Madrid)

Re: New Fourteen player variant!

Postby BlueBorjigin » 22 Jan 2013, 04:46

lecrae wrote:Well if I was Britain, I might even build an army to claim Liverpool if Ireland does not go for it, by going to Yorkshire.

I've got to say, I would never do this. An army would be very rigid and of limited usefulness in 1902 when a fleet, through Wales, could do the same thing. On a more macro scale, that would split up my centres - I'd have one facing west and one facing southeast - they'd be unable to support each other to move on a target (say, the always-critical North Sea), and it would make me look very vulnerable. I think that it's far too early to isolate yourself like this, and that it might even be suicidal.

lecrae wrote:As Denmark, true, he might go to the north Sea, but also it is possible he will go to Gotaland to choose between Norway and Sweden.

You're right, it is possible, but when you have 4 nations that can border you without you knowing their intentions, that's a bit to "possible" for my liking.

lecrae wrote:Yes, France and Switzerland might go to Burgundy, but they probably will stay on course instead of risking getting no build.

Switzerland has no guaranteed build. With an army Italy can be in a stand-off for Milan. And Burgundy for France is THE move if France's aspirations are continental. If it bounces, it can still slip back to Brest for a 1901 build. If it wants to go continental, Brest is likely too isolated, while:
-Marseilles, or
-Switzerland if supported by Italy in Milan or Germany in Munich, or maybe
-Belgium or Munich if she's sure she can get it (I don't know, people do unconventional things :p ),
have prime spots to raid nations concerned with other neighbours from the coasts and other directions.

If France has naval aspirations she'll be inclined to take Brest first, but is that really any good when she can't build fleets before winter 1902? Isn't Paris forcing her to go continental, and thus making Burgundy her best first move? (I wonder if we're skewing the game with all this analysis.)

lecrae wrote:Italy would have to cover Rome if Switzerland goes to Milan, or Denmark go back if Germany moves to Kiel.

Italy: Rome>Milan, bounces; Rome>Apulia (reasonably likely Greece will have alternate plans or want to keep Italy around), getting a build and protecting Rome.
Denmark is definitely true, but the difference is that Denmark only has to worry about Germany and Britain and Belgium I guess (but as discussed earlier Belgium probably has better things to worry about than angering a mid-distance player) bordering her home SC. Belgium would have 4 neighbours, which just seems like too unsafe a number. Again, it's like a one-SC Austria, and I don't know if Belgium has any natural strengths which are significant enough to break even for that liability. A France starting in Brest mitigates a degree of the danger.

Nice analysis of the east. A test run or two will be very telling. Random note - build anywhere with 4 nations near the Black Sea - it's going to get hectic up in there, I think more than in the Balkans.
BlueBorjigin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1160)
All-game rating: (1177)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby jkid » 22 Jan 2013, 04:56

So:

1. Change Poland to Rumania

2. Move France to Brest

3. Connect Marseilles and Switzerland

And?
Member of the Swag Bagels.
jkid

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1034)
All-game rating: (988)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby BlueBorjigin » 22 Jan 2013, 07:23

jkid wrote:3. Connect Marseilles and Switzerland

Oh, it seems I missed this. That might change my analysis :oops: What's the reasoning behind this? I read on pg. 5 that it's to make Switzerland more capable, but it seems to have tons of options (especially if France can only get to Marseilles through Gascony -- but since that suggestion was based on the understanding that Marseilles didn't border Switzerland, I may have messed up the space-time continuum :S )
BlueBorjigin

Standard rating: (1160)
All-game rating: (1177)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby lecrae » 22 Jan 2013, 14:37

That is about it Jkid, those are all the changes, and I think we can then get going! Blue______(cannot spell it :oops: ), it seems like you are interested in this variant. Do you want to be a player in it?
lecrae

Standard rating: 1288
All-game rating: 1325

Postby Pedros » 22 Jan 2013, 14:58

You don't have a GM yet!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby jkid » 22 Jan 2013, 15:02

Pedros wrote:You don't have a GM yet!

Oh, am I not cleared? I sent you a PM after you posted the GMs Start Here link, but you didn't reply.
jkid

Postby Pedros » 22 Jan 2013, 17:12

Sorry jkid - I've just checked my Inbox in case I'd missed it, but I don't have it.

Try again!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby shavemybaby » 22 Jan 2013, 23:27

I want to play! Also, a question- are denmark and sweden adjacent? The Gotaland boundary is a little hard to make out.
ice cube in a dark drink shines like starlight
starlight shines like glass shards in dark hair
and the mind's eye tumbles out along the steel track
fixing every shadow with its stare
night train
night train
shavemybaby

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1040)

Postby lecrae » 22 Jan 2013, 23:40

Nope, gotaland is between Denmark and Sweden.
lecrae

Standard rating: 1288
All-game rating: 1325

Postby jkid » 23 Jan 2013, 00:14

lecrae wrote:Nope, gotaland is between Denmark and Sweden.

Does Gotaland border Baltic Sea?
jkid

PreviousNext

Return to lecrae 14 {All Maps Visible}