Collapse of the Dual Empire (6/6)

6 player game set in the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the final month of WWI. Devised by Richard Wein and introduced and GMd by Morg. 4-way draw: Croats (Diplomat42), Germans (Shavemybaby), Poles (Stanislaw), Rumanians (Samuri)

Re: Collapse of the Dual Empire (0/6)

Postby Stanislaw » 16 Feb 2013, 22:17

Gotcha. Looking forward to getting this started.
When you play the game of thrones you win, or you die, there is no middle ground.

Platinum member of the Classicists
Stanislaw

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1434)
All-game rating: (1484)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Collapse of the Dual Empire (2/6)

Postby shavemybaby » 18 Feb 2013, 04:37

Have you thought about stalemates at all? The more I look at the map the more I'm struck by how SC-dense it is.
ice cube in a dark drink shines like starlight
starlight shines like glass shards in dark hair
and the mind's eye tumbles out along the steel track
fixing every shadow with its stare
night train
night train
shavemybaby

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1040)

Postby Morg » 18 Feb 2013, 04:44

shavemybaby wrote:Have you thought about stalemates at all? The more I look at the map the more I'm struck by how SC-dense it is.

I pulled this out of the variantbank. I don't know how balanced it will be or how stalemate lines will work, but I thought the concept of each player commanding two armies that cannot work together looked interesting.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Pedros » 18 Feb 2013, 12:08

Well spoted shavemybaby. I hadn't realised initially that the black dots are SCs - by my count that makes 44 SCs compared to only around 14 non-SCs (and no sea either). You'll face instant gridlock even if my count isn't quite accurate (I didn't double check it)!

Sadly, just because a variant is in the Bank doesn't make it a good one - as I discovered to several people's cost over London Nights.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby samuri » 18 Feb 2013, 20:36

i would like to play, i love the communist/ democrat rules and i think that the only person in the shape to set up a stalemate at the start is the grey, since his armies are everywhere they could be a real thorn in a stalemater's side. also if you think this game will be deadlocked you could try out my cavalry rules, it would be a good chance to test them.

1. charging. any land unit can charge, the order to post would be par charge hol, a charge can be made at any unit but it MUST be supported- if not (or the support is cut)the attack will automatically fail. a charging unit that is supported has 1.5 strength, thus paris charge hol, supported by bur sup par charge hol (the charge must be in the support order as well) would defeat chan move hol, north sea support chan move hol. however if a charging unit bounces it becomes ineffective ; it attacks with a strength of 0 until it spends a winter in a sc (no orders needed) but can support and move like any other unit.
2. demoralization. a force that spends 3 consecutive turns holding or supporting is demoralized, it also becomes ineffective

do you think that these would make any difference?
suprise is the greatest asset of attack, therfore, a great ally is more dangerous that a great enemy.
a good diplomat is someone who could tell you to go to hell in such a way that you would look forward to the journey
samuri

Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (952)

Postby Morg » 18 Feb 2013, 20:41

samuri wrote:i would like to play, i think that the only person in the shape to set up a stalemate at the start is the grey, since his armies are everywhere they could be a real thorn in a stalemater's side. also if you think this game will be deadlocked you could try out my cavalry rules, it would be a good chance to try them out.

1. charging. any land unit can charge, the order to post would be par charge hol, a charge can be made at any unit but it MUST be supported- if not (or the support is cut)the attack will automatically fail. a charging unit that is supported has 1.5 strength, thus paris charge hol, supported by bur sup par charge hol (the charge must be in the support order as well) would defeat chan move hol, north sea support chan move hol. however if a charging unit bounces it becomes ineffective ; it attacks with a strength of 0 untill it spends a winter in a sc (no orders needed) but can support and move like any other unit.
2. demoralization. a force that spends 3 consecuative turns holding or supporting is demoralized, it also becomes ineffective

Welcome aboard, glad to have you in the game.

Thanks for the charge rules, but I'm mostly curious to see how the Democrat/Communist dilemma effects things, and so I think we'll start with the regular rules listed.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Collapse of the Dual Empire (3/6)

Postby Stanislaw » 19 Feb 2013, 00:44

Cavalry rule sounds cool but during the first world war and after cavalry were not effective..

The density of SCs may be an issue but I think we can give it a try and if it doesn't work we can always restart.
When you play the game of thrones you win, or you die, there is no middle ground.

Stanislaw

Postby pjkon » 19 Feb 2013, 01:48

Stalemates or no stalemates the hungarians won't live to see them. Depending on the skill or lack thereof of Germany the players may or may not spend a year or two taking out all of the imperial armies, but either way the second order of business will be to decend on the middle power from all sides.
It is better to have scs then allies, assuming something aproaching equal combat power in each

Your credibility with eliminated powers is irrelavant

Keep your allies happy enough that they stay allies

If you are receiving a message from me ignore this signature
pjkon

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby samuri » 19 Feb 2013, 12:17

Stanislaw wrote:Cavalry rule sounds cool but during the first world war and after cavalry were not effective..

i just wanted a name to call them, they really should be called rules to prevent stalemates but that sounds lame
suprise is the greatest asset of attack, therfore, a great ally is more dangerous that a great enemy.
a good diplomat is someone who could tell you to go to hell in such a way that you would look forward to the journey
samuri

Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (952)

Postby Stanislaw » 19 Feb 2013, 20:41

How about the blitzkrieg rule? ;)

Stanislaw

PreviousNext

Return to Collapse of the Dual Empire {All Maps Lost}