Collapse of the Dual Empire (6/6)

6 player game set in the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the final month of WWI. Devised by Richard Wein and introduced and GMd by Morg. 4-way draw: Croats (Diplomat42), Germans (Shavemybaby), Poles (Stanislaw), Rumanians (Samuri)

Collapse of the Dual Empire (6/6)

Postby Morg » 16 Feb 2013, 12:41

Probably more correctly "Collapse of the Dual Monarchy," but anyways,

This variant is set in the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the final month of WWI. The Empire collapses and ethnic tensions as well as political tensions flare up creating the ethnic competitors with competing factions under the player's control.

It is a beautiful map if I do say so myself
All standard rules of diplomacy are followed, except where outlined below.

1. Each player has control of one of the 6 ethnicities (Germans, Croats, Czechs, Hungarians, Poles, Rumanians). Each player intially controls 2 Democratic armies (blue armbands) and 2 Communist Armies (red armbands), these are placed in their respective home supply centers (blue & red stars). The Germans also control 5 Imperial armies (white armbands) initially placed in Imperial supply centers (white stars).

2. Democratic supply centers can only support Democratic armies of the owner's ethnicity, likewise Communist supply centers can only support Communist armies of the owner's ethnicity and Imperial supply centers can only support Imperial armies of the owner's ethnicity. New units must be built in their respective ethnic and political home SCs.

3. Democratic armies cannot support or receive support from Communist armies of any ethnicity. Imperial armies however can both support and receive support from both Democratic and Communist armies of any ethnicity.

4. Rules regarding self-dislodgement are specific only to units of both ethnic and political commonality. So a Hungarian Communist can dislodge a Hungarian Democrat and/or a Croatian Communist, but it cannot dislodge another Hungarian Communist.

5. Non-Home supply centers can be captured by an army of the same ethnicity, but of different politics. So a Rumanian Communist can take away a supply center from the Rumanians Democrats so long as it is not Satu Mare or West Transylvania.

6. If at any point the margin between Communist and Democratic armies exceeds 3 units, the units of the minority party go into civil disorder. So if the Poles control 6 Democratic armies and only 2 Communist armies, the Communist armies go into Civil Disorder.

7. Victory is obtained by a single ethnicity controlling 17 SCs including all SCs within their ethnic territory. However since the Germans contol Imperial armies, they must control 20 SCs to claim victory. If two players reach the finish line at the same time, whoever has more SCs wins.

Those are the basic game rules.
My house rules are:
This game will be run on a 3/2/2 schedule.
Any NMR on the first turn is grounds for immediate replacement.
2 consecutive or 3 total NMRS is grounds for replacement.
Speed deadlines will be in effect when possible (orders will be presumed finalized unless marked provisional)
Ethnicities will be assigned by blind auction (so no talking about preferences)

This game is now open for sign ups, I'll need 6, but reserves are always welcome.
1. Shavemybaby (confirmed)
2. Stanislaw (confirmed)
3. Samuri (confirmed)
4. Diplomat42 (confirmed)
5. Pharoah of Nerds (confirmed)
6. Mambam14 (confirmed)

Reserves
1. Baelor
2. Theangrycastle
Last edited by Morg on 11 May 2013, 09:03, edited 16 times in total.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Collapse of the Dual Empire (0/6)

Postby Pedros » 16 Feb 2013, 12:45

Sorry Morg, but it's also too big! A map that size should certainly be well under 60K
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Morg » 16 Feb 2013, 12:49

Pedros wrote:

Sorry Morg, but it's also too big! A map that size should certainly be well under 60K

I thought the limit was 100k. sigh. Alright I'll whittle it down some more.
Morg

Postby Pedros » 16 Feb 2013, 13:13

:)

80K is the absolute limit (without special permission for very big games), but preference for 50-60. You'd be OK if you went through the game frequently removing retreats etc and reducing earlier maps, but it's not worth the effort when the map isn't particularly big to start with.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby Morg » 16 Feb 2013, 13:19

Pedros wrote::)

80K is the absolute limit (without special permission for very big games), but preference for 50-60. You'd be OK if you went through the game frequently removing retreats etc and reducing earlier maps, but it's not worth the effort when the map isn't particularly big to start with.

Alright, I've got it down to about 66k. I'll have to retype all the province names and perhaps fiddle with the units again, but it should work. I'll replace this map when I've finished.
Morg

Postby Pedros » 16 Feb 2013, 16:17

66 is OK Morg. Sorry to hassle you!
Pedros

Postby shavemybaby » 16 Feb 2013, 17:00

I'll play. How is faction selection going to work?
ice cube in a dark drink shines like starlight
starlight shines like glass shards in dark hair
and the mind's eye tumbles out along the steel track
fixing every shadow with its stare
night train
night train
shavemybaby

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1040)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Stanislaw » 16 Feb 2013, 18:34

Looks cool. I'm in.

Question: The nuetral SCs all look like they are part of a country at the begining as they are of that color but they are not controlled by anyone correct?
When you play the game of thrones you win, or you die, there is no middle ground.

Platinum member of the Classicists
Stanislaw

Standard rating: (1434)
All-game rating: (1484)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Morg » 16 Feb 2013, 21:40

shavemybaby wrote:I'll play. How is faction selection going to work?

I'll be running a bind auction. It's becoming a pretty standard method.
Morg

Postby Morg » 16 Feb 2013, 21:42

Stanislaw wrote:Looks cool. I'm in.

Question: The nuetral SCs all look like they are part of a country at the begining as they are of that color but they are not controlled by anyone correct?

Exactly, until they become a Democratic or Communist or Imperial supply center they are not controlled by anyone, although in order to win you will need to control all the supply centers in your ethnicity's home area.
Morg

Next

Return to Collapse of the Dual Empire {All Maps Lost}