Liberty Cup AAR

Discussion of finished games.

Liberty Cup AAR

Postby FloridaMan » 05 Aug 2020, 14:08

My personal recollections on this recent Diplomacy tournament, conducted virtually using Discord and Backstabbr

Check Out My Diplomacy YouTube Channel!

"I've been looking forward to this."
~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."
~ Words of House Bolton, A Song of Ice and Fire

Tied for 10th Position in the 2020 Liberty Cup
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1655
All-game rating: 1748
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Liberty Cup AAR

Postby VGhost » 05 Aug 2020, 19:29

I was Italy in this game, just wanted to say a couple things:

- Somewhat ironically, I almost never put the army in Tunis in 1901, and this time I did to try to convince Austria I was serious about going after Turkey quickly, and it was a huge drawback trying to defend - not so much directly, because it did keep Tunis locked down for a bit, but because I didn't have the second army on the mainland. I think my other defensive moves were suboptimal in places too (F Rom might have been more flexible) but it was an unfortunate opening all around.

- When I was negotiating in 1902, I did really mean to collaborate with you because I'd finished 1901 on a poor diplomatic footing with Austria and thought he likely wouldn't help - certainly not without a really big French threat. Which turned out to be correct! But in the last couple minutes he talked about moves and I let myself get talked out of the plan we'd set up. Really this is one of my bigger weaknesses as a player, defaulting to the more conservative option under any kind of pressure.

- It was a nuisance to deal with, but I was really impressed by Austria's ability to fast-talk everybody around him the whole game.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 987
All-game rating: 931

Postby FloridaMan » 06 Aug 2020, 04:43

VGhost wrote:I was Italy in this game, just wanted to say a couple things:

- Somewhat ironically, I almost never put the army in Tunis in 1901, and this time I did to try to convince Austria I was serious about going after Turkey quickly, and it was a huge drawback trying to defend - not so much directly, because it did keep Tunis locked down for a bit, but because I didn't have the second army on the mainland. I think my other defensive moves were suboptimal in places too (F Rom might have been more flexible) but it was an unfortunate opening all around.

- When I was negotiating in 1902, I did really mean to collaborate with you because I'd finished 1901 on a poor diplomatic footing with Austria and thought he likely wouldn't help - certainly not without a really big French threat. Which turned out to be correct! But in the last couple minutes he talked about moves and I let myself get talked out of the plan we'd set up. Really this is one of my bigger weaknesses as a player, defaulting to the more conservative option under any kind of pressure.

- It was a nuisance to deal with, but I was really impressed by Austria's ability to fast-talk everybody around him the whole game.

I appreciate comments from someone who was actually in the game with me. It's pretty cool that a fellow PlayDiplomacy person was in the game with me, without me even knowing it.

You and I fighting ended up being bad for both of us, ultimately. I wish I'd kept on trying to go around you and been patient a little longer, in retrospect. Austria-Turkey were the real problem, but it was hard to know that early on, when they seemed to be fighting.

~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."

FloridaMan
Premium Member

Postby Czar99 » 06 Aug 2020, 16:31

I was Turkey in this game and it's been great seeing more connections between online and f2f players! I've been doing both and encourage anyone to consider the f2f tournaments once we're able to get together :)

For this game, it truly was a mess and kept trying to work with Russia throughout the game but was also eventually able to ally with Austria. However, the Western Triple was really what kept Italy from coming after me or the R-T alliance to really get rolling. The eventual stab by England was the main shift that saved the East countries considering the amount of time it took to sort out the Balkans. I was fortunate to survive given the back-and-forth relationship with Austria and mistakes like building too many fleets but it was an interesting game!

There was a lot of analysis done on this game so to see more opinions here are a few links:
Diplomacy Briefing Network (tournament commentators): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMz5Y4k5TcI&list=PLE585TdVAZlWiBHvWyt9F7OiC9D4LvAoC&index=2&t=0s

Russia's Analysis Video (with guest commentator): https://www.thediplomats.net/virtual-liberty-cup/blog-post-title-one-rprnn
Russia's viewpoint helps communicate my perspective in this game and in retrospect we should have just focused on a strong R-T alliance out of the game instead of messing around.
Czar99
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1293
All-game rating: 1420
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby FloridaMan » 07 Aug 2020, 21:02

Czar99 wrote:I was Turkey in this game and it's been great seeing more connections between online and f2f players! I've been doing both and encourage anyone to consider the f2f tournaments once we're able to get together :)

For this game, it truly was a mess and kept trying to work with Russia throughout the game but was also eventually able to ally with Austria. However, the Western Triple was really what kept Italy from coming after me or the R-T alliance to really get rolling. The eventual stab by England was the main shift that saved the East countries considering the amount of time it took to sort out the Balkans. I was fortunate to survive given the back-and-forth relationship with Austria and mistakes like building too many fleets but it was an interesting game!

There was a lot of analysis done on this game so to see more opinions here are a few links:
Diplomacy Briefing Network (tournament commentators): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMz5Y4k5TcI&list=PLE585TdVAZlWiBHvWyt9F7OiC9D4LvAoC&index=2&t=0s

Russia's Analysis Video (with guest commentator): https://www.thediplomats.net/virtual-liberty-cup/blog-post-title-one-rprnn
Russia's viewpoint helps communicate my perspective in this game and in retrospect we should have just focused on a strong R-T alliance out of the game instead of messing around.

Eh, I feel like this worked out pretty well for you. :)

Your anti-Western maneuvers were quite successful, and if the game had gone on slightly longer, I think you could have become the board leader.

~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."

FloridaMan
Premium Member