England - gingerbreadmen
France - SemiAutoDuck, ANameLessPieceOfLand, skyblueshu
Germany - Locutus
Italy - Diocrates
Austria - em01, jacko27
Russia - Tajh3, jskey
Turkey - dolphins24, kav

Spring 1901:
So I drew England, which I generally like playing. I wanted to try out a tactic which I was pretty sure would lead to immediate disaster, but I'd never done it before. I didn't talk to anyone in Spring '01. Did not send a single message. Even more ominously, no one sent me any messages either. So naturally I assumed a Franco-German alliance against me and played a southern opening, but moving the army to Yorkshire instead of Wales (I did have faint hope of eventually getting along with France). I ended up getting crazy lucky in the opening. France NMR'd while Germany opened to Denmark and Burgundy. Best possible outcome. Even Italy played to the West. In the East Turkey played very anti-Russian, Austria to the Balkans and Russia an inexplicably timid opening, holding both Moscow and Warsaw.

Fall 1901:
I kept playing gunboat, and still no one bothered to send me a message. France NMR'd again and auto-surrendered, Germany, presumably anticipating this, plunged further into France by playing to Gascony. They also bounced Russia out of Sweden, which was a very pleasant surprise. I shimmied over to the Mid-Atlantic and convoyed to Belgium to pick up my build. Italy and Austria were doing just fine playing back-to-back while Turkey stomped on Russia. Here's the unusual Winter 1901 build:

Finally in Winter 1901 I got some messages. A new France took over and proposed an alliance on the basis that as the two weakest Western powers we needed to stick together. France claimed only Spain for themselves, ceding Portugal and all of Germany's coastal territories to me. Germany also proposed an alliance, also proposing I take Portugal, while also taking Brest and Paris. The Germans claimed only Spain for themselves, just like the French. I agreed to both proposals, content to bide my time without antagonizing either.

1902: Since France and I didn't discuss the Channel in our negotiations, I forced my way into it supporting London from MAO. France also tried for the Channel. Neither of us took it personally though and we maintained our alliance. I held in Belgium and the North Sea, avoiding pissing off anyone. France held in Marsailles to avoid Italian invasion while retaking Gascony from Paris. Germany slid down to Spain, and further attacked Russia, who NMR'd. Italy's army oddly backed off the French border even while its navy continued sailing west. France and I were getting along swimmingly, and they smartly suggested we should try to add someone to our alliance. I agreed wholeheartedly, and suggested Turkey. We sent out friendly messages to the Turk hoping to secure a tripartite alliance. Unfortunately, while Turkey agreed, they gave us little more than one liners, which I took as severe disinterest. I felt Italy out for an anti-French alliance, but ultimately they didn't make me as comfortable as France did so that communication fizzled out pretty quickly. Germany and I were getting along pretty well, they wanted me to be aggressively anti-French. While I'd rather have waited a turn, ultimately I decided to attack Brest in the fall. As it turned out, I actually apparently forgot to change my orders, even though I honestly thought I had. So I thought I was attacking Brest, but I guess I never changed the order, so I ended up with my original order of attacking Portugal. I was a little worried about how Germany would react to this mistake, but they took it in stride, and on the plus side, France still trusted me, which was very helpful. Russia auto surrendered in fall 1902. I tried again to secure an alliance with Turkey, this time a bilateral one against Italy. Once again, although their responses were positive, they were short and untrustworthy, at this point I pretty much gave up on an alliance with Turkey and committed myself to Germany only (although France thought I was still on their side). Here's Winter 1902:

1903: Italy and I had had friendly but infrequent communication, and now they tried to get me to support them to Spain. I told them I would in the fall, a promise I had no intention of keeping. By 1903, there was no one on this board I was going to trust other than Germany, and the two of us combined were looking pretty damn good. Germany and I sent a flurry of messages back and forth plotting how to take over Europe. Turkey was looking solid in the East, but without a solid ally. Italy and Austria looked allied until the fall, when Italy stabbed the Austrians (perhaps due to the impression I was about to help them conquer Spain and eventually the West). I lied to Italy about Spain, then tipped off the Germans so they could make the appropriate defensive moves. A new Russia joined in fall and Austria surrendered after the stab. Here is Winter '03:

From 1904 to 1906 I didn't talk to anyone but Germany. Germany and I were systematically tearing through the board, although the way things went I ended up going from the junior partner in the relationship to the senior partner, leading Germany to ask me to cede him Belgium, which I granted. Here's Winter '04:

In 1905 Italy saw the writing on the wall and proposed a 2 way draw between England and Germany. Turkey rejected it before anyone else had a chance to respond. Winter '05:

1906 saw us conduct a lovely convoy of a German army from Belgium to Tuscany. Which worked out great for Germany, and even better for me. Germany was fighting Italy and needed an army behind their lines, while I was happy to have a German army in Italy to distract the Italian navy and also happy to take a German army off my border in case I had a chance to stab for the solo. In Fall 1906 Turkey started posting anonymous messages in the press trying to make me look bad. Turkey was pressing hard for entry into a 3 way draw, which I rejected. Germany didn't fall for it and we stayed tight in 1906. Here's Winter '06:

1907: Spurned by my refusal to a draw, Turkey surrendered. However a new Turkey joined the game immediately. I proposed a two way draw between England and Germany, and the new Turkey rejected that offer. Sensing the time was right for a stab, I took a shot at Germany, recapturing Belgium. As it turned out, the time was very right, in 1907 I captured Belgium and Holland from Germany and Rome and Naples from Italy. The new Turkey wouldn't even talk to me, but it didn't seem that they talked to Germany either. As long as Germany and Turkey didn't co-operate, it looked like I would cruise to a win. After the shock of 1907 though, I still had a good shot at winning even if they did co-operate. Here was Winter 1907:

By the end of 1908 Turkey and Germany still weren't co-operating. Turkey was actually attacking German armies in Austria. By wintertime I was at 17 SCs and looked unstoppable, I just needed to take Denmark to secure the win. Winter 1908:

1909: Denmark falls, the game ends. I have succeeded, in part due to great luck. An early NMR by France, an incompetent Turkey, and a great partner throughout the game that left themselves just a little too exposed at the wrong time.

The final position:
Last edited by gingerbreadmen on 16 Dec 2018, 02:41, edited 1 time in total.
gingerbreadmen

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1143)
Timezone: GMT-4

Re: AAR - lol!!! 149780

Postby Locutus » 16 Dec 2018, 01:16

Congrats on the solo - unfortunate for Germany that Turkey, under both masters, were lackluster performers. It might well have turned the other direction otherwise.
8-)
Locutus
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 911
All-game rating: 942
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby gingerbreadmen » 16 Dec 2018, 02:43

It definitely could have. Although if the first Turkey had been better I might have gotten that early tripartite alliance with France and Turkey I was looking for. Would have been a very different game.
gingerbreadmen

Postby skyblueshu » 16 Dec 2018, 03:55

Great report England. I assumed the French position in 1905 to help y’all finish the game. Not much of a position to be honest. Two way draws are extremely difficult to execute unless one power is benevolent and forgoes a solo opportunity. Turkey and Germany could have stopped the solo but the effort was late and poorly executed (although not too late from what I saw in my flip through the order history). A bit of a shame that turkey surrendered as the positon still had play. I don’t play here often but I notice people quitting is a problem. I sort of wonder if people on this site miss out on proper end game play because they quit to often. It’s an important part of the game - anyone can grow an easy position surrounded by weak players. Turning a weak or bad position into points is difficult and takes determination and resilience. In the games I’ve played so far here I’ve seen a scarcity of resilience.
skyblueshu

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1126)
All-game rating: (1250)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mjparrett » 16 Dec 2018, 11:01

Congratulation on a solo and a good stab... however against top quality opposition I think your gunboat tactic would have backfired heavily and you would have seen a F/G alliance eliminate you very quickly. Also a sad amount of surrenders and replacements in this game which is starting to seem more and more common. Classicist games only for me from now on....
mjparrett

Standard rating: 1488
All-game rating: 1524
Timezone: GMT

Postby gingerbreadmen » 16 Dec 2018, 15:32

Oh for sure, I was definitely not expecting that to work at all. I was fully expecting an F/G alliance headed straight for me, I almost couldn't believe my luck when I saw the Spring 1901 orders.
gingerbreadmen

Postby gingerbreadmen » 16 Dec 2018, 15:37

skyblue, Thanks for coming in to finish France for us. Of course by the time you joined I was fully committed to taking Marsailles on my way to war with Italy, so there's not much you could have done. It is of course, always unfortunate when a player decides to surrender, but Turkey had dug their own grave by the time they did. I wasn't going to work with them and I don't think Germany was either. Of course the proper thing for them to do in that hopeless situation would have been to simply accept the E/G draw on offer instead of surrendering, but they really were out of the game by the time they surrendered, despite the significant territory they controlled.
gingerbreadmen

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)