Game 146580, French solo

Discussion of finished games.

Re: Game 146580, French solo

Postby SimonMH » 31 Oct 2018, 10:49

Thanks for the comments. I agree, Charleroi: I don't know why Italy chose to bury the fleet in Trieste. Perhaps he was worried about the army in Marseilles?

Russia tries to broker a peace between England and me, so that we concentrate on Germany, who will soon be on 8 centers. I am happy for England's fleets to head to Scandinavia, so I agree not to attack him in England for a turn. I take Marseilles.

A build! And quite a difficult one. I am concerned about Germany, obviously, but I think another army is too defensive. Fleet in Brest then.

My next target is Germany. He is strong but I prefer a six-center, one-front France to an eight-center, two-front Germany. I can win this fight. Obviously, I want to persuade him to move East against the Russian, but I have no real expectation this will work. Time to take another English center too.

Yes, Germany has reached the same conclusion and we go at each other. This is the defining battle of the game: Germany's last unit is destroyed at the same time as I know the solo is 100%.
SimonMH
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1387)
All-game rating: (1682)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby SimonMH » 01 Nov 2018, 14:05

You are not welcome in France, Mein Herr! For your insolence I will have Belgium from you!

Next year.

Mid-Atlantic-North Atlantic to flank the German.

You see, I am satisfied the logic of the board is with me. Italy is strong, yes, but also static. Russia and he have worked together to carve up the South. Now, however, it seems to me Italy has little choice but to keep pushing East: he cannot abandon his position and come for me. No-one would be insane enough to risk that!

Army now, please:

At this point, I am sure that a 2-way with Italy is there. I destroy Germany; he does the same to Russia; we meet on the stalemate line. If he is careless I may have the chance to steal Tunis at the end for my solo.

Good! Keep up the scare on Germany.

OMG. Italy is moving against me!
SimonMH
Premium Member

Postby SimonMH » 01 Nov 2018, 15:11

This is the critical time. What to do?

Two builds! Belgium I have and I must take London; I must persuade England to let me in. He hates me deeply; he will not trust a word I say but I can play on his dreams. I say I will abandon the North, let him into Edinburgh and allow his fleets to hold against Germany while I deal with the Italian.

He knows I could be lying but what other play does he have?

I congratulate Russia on his brilliant diplomacy. It was brilliant: to persuade a power to trust you enough to abandon his position... Russia denies this and says this was Italy's plan all along. I point out to him that the stab is easy now and very profitable.

A day before the deadline Russia writes to say he will stab. I have a dilemma: I hate to forward other players' messages and I distrust those who do. Could this be the time to break that rule and warn Italy?

I sleep on it and six hours before the deadline I forward the message.

No reply from Italy. OK, then I must move back to North Atlantic to ensure I can put a fleet in Mid-Atlantic.

Italy ignored my warning! Russia DOES stab! Wow!
SimonMH
Premium Member

Postby SimonMH » 02 Nov 2018, 15:09

Italy is contrite; Italy is fearful; Italy is full of woe.

Generously I forgive him but do point out the urgency of stopping Russia. I tell him our 2-way is still possible, albeit more difficult. Of course, I briefly consider the possibility that he might attack anyway:

All good.

North Sea next then: when that is mine Germany is finished. A brief moment of hilarity when Russia offers to 'support' me into Norway. I accept, not taking it too seriously, and a few hours later Germany writes telling me I'd be a fool if I believed Russia was supporting me into Norway!

The pressure is telling on Germany: he didn't have to leave Denmark open like that and the retreating English fleet finds a harbour! “What is the Danish for 'God Save the King'”, I query in the PP.

SimonMH
Premium Member

Postby SimonMH » 03 Nov 2018, 04:13

The next few seasons proceed in this way: I continue to harry Germany while Russia and Italy scrap away in Austria and Turkey. At some point Italy asks me to put an army in Piedmont, where it sits.

Fall 1910:

I must take 17 now and the solo depends on Tunis: when to make my move? Fall 1911.

In the meantime though, Russia has not been idle. He can see the danger and has to persuade Italy to see it too. Not so easy when you've stabbed him! I am all emollience and sweet words: of course I am committed to the 2-way draw...

In Spring 1911 then, Russia thinks he has reached agreement with Italy and withdraws. Italy stabs him! Revenge at last!

I think Italy realises at this point what he has done. He writes to me almost in a panic begging me not to stab. Sorry, my friend.

And that's it, bar the shouting. It takes 4 more turns, but the result is sure now.

The Russian fleet in Berlin provides some mild tactical interest but the game ends in Fall 1913.

Lucky? Yes, of course, but I made my own luck by paralysing England so early and securing the edge of the board. It seems to me that an Anglo-French alliance is safer but far less likely to result in a French solo: he has to break through in the Mediterranean, and that is very difficult without help from the East.

The other key moment was when Italy moved against me. In hindsight this was terrible but it might not have been: if Russia hadn't stabbed I was in some trouble. When a player sees those ripe centers though, and their owner looking the other way... He would have needed iron self-discipline to resist.

Finally, Russia was scathing about Italy's failure to heed the warning and move against me in Spring 1911. Well, yes, of course, from a purely military viewpoint that is correct but once bitten... He had already persuaded Italy to abandon his position and move that way and was therefore at a massive psychological disadvantage when trying to do it again. If you're going to stab, make sure it's fatal!

Thanks to all for playing and apologies to everyone I had to double-cross, especially England!
SimonMH
Premium Member

Previous

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)