PLAYERS
ENGLANDmrob (3way DRAW)
FRANCEvoidoid
ITALYAlbert Einstupid
GERMANYRLE1988 (3way DRAW)
AUSTRIAmuggah
TURKEYsurrendered
RUSSIARoar (3way DRAW)

This game was rather spoiled in the early stages by the surrender of a majority of the countries! Thanks to some substitutes we did end up having an enjoyable game with a few interesting features. In this quick review from my perspective I've divided the game into a series of phases - apologies for inaccuracies and no disrespect is intended to any of the players:

Opening moves
Germany signalled the intention to attack France by moving to Burgundy in spring 01. That put me in the great position of deciding between the two for alliance - both offered to help me into Belgium. My initial intention was to ally with France - I thought it would be a challenge to make a Franco-English alliance work (unusual I think) and was concerned by Germany's immediate aggression. In the south I was impressed that Turkey sent me an early communication - I didnt't get any response from my vague feelers to Austria and Italy. Russia was reassuring. In the south Austria seemed to distrust both Italy and Turkey whilst ignoring Russia's spring '01 trip into Galicia which resulted in the loss of Vienna in the Fall

The end of France and funny doings in the south
France showed every chance of fending off Germany's attack until my stab in Spring 03. Until then I had been able to keep my options open. My decision was based on two things 1) My judgement that France was the less experienced player - they seemed rather paranoid about the ENG - this view may have been reinforced by my eventual stab but I think that would be a mistake - it is natural and quite benign for England to not want ENG to be a DMZ in the early stages. France also didn't acknowledge the difficulties implicit in an Anglo-French alliance 2) The strategic situation - Russia was off to a flier and I needed Germany to act as a bulwark quickly else the game could have been lost very quickly. I was sorry to stab France because they seemed a nice person - but that's Diplomacy.

Russia probably wasn't helped by what - to be frank - was a load of rubbish in the south. Austria quickly collapsed and Italy couldn't get going - both just seemed to give up the ghost early on. Turkey and Russia seemed to have set up a juggernaut - then Russia stabbed and Turkey quickly joined Austria and Italy in dropping out. In a way this probably didn't do Russia any favours but in my opinion, he overreached him/herself by stabbing me as well- and blaming me for it which I thought was a bit 'undiplomatic'. Whatever the rights and wrongs I think that was the end of any Russian chance of victory since it just strengthened the Anglo-German alliance.

France also surrendered - that speeded up our victory in the west but France was doomed anyway and Germany was very inconvenienced when France moved after surrendering - I assume this was a bug!

The mid game

Thanks very much to the people who took over Austria and Italy - without them Russia would have won. However I did find Italy's performance a bit confusing - they didn't really communicate, made a very strange move from Tun-Naf which annoyed me but didn't achieve anything, and then seemed a bit naive in allowing me to storm into WMED and TYR to 'help them'. They must have known the stab was coming - would be good to get their perspective? Germany hammered away against Russia which suited me as I was able to expand without much of a problem. However I was fairly committed to our alliance although I was concerned at how we would maintain our alliance to a two-way draw. I had a romantic notion of my final move being to convoy A St P-Smy!

The end-game
I think Russia probably did some good diplomacy at the end - they kept proposing draws which seemed strange to me but perhaps stirred up some distrust between me and Germany? In the event I was completely shocked by Germany's 'stab' (no centres actually lost). This was for me a rather confusing episode - I was so trusting I didn't even notice until Russia pointed it out to me! In the event Germany's excuse - that I had broken our agreement by building an Army - turned out be genuine. ButI wasn't sure about that at the time - it was an A L'pl and I didn't see any need to inform him - learning point for me! I was quite pleased to then fool Germany and return the stab - I think you were very shocked! My reasoning was 1) Your moves implied that trust was not as strong as I had thought 2) having 'fixed' alliances is a bit against the spirit of the game 3) probably most importantly I thought I could win as there were virtually no other fleets on the board! I never thought there could be a rapprochement between Germany and Russia - respect to both of you. However Russia had nothing to gain from this and immediately stabbed Germany. But in the end as both wanted a draw I reluctantly agreed - still think I could have won because Russia couldn't get to me for several years and must surely have had a go at Germany. But in the end a three way draw was probably a fair result give the early surrenderings.

Would be great to hear from others.
mrob

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1039)
All-game rating: (1041)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Game 147764 - English perspective

Postby Jegpeg » 14 Oct 2018, 22:23

mrob wrote:France also surrendered - that speeded up our victory in the west but France was doomed anyway and Germany was very inconvenienced when France moved after surrendering - I assume this was a bug!

This wasn't a bug and something to be aware of when a country surrenders. If a country surrenders in the middle of (say) Spring 04, if he entered moves before surrendering they will be carried out, obviously you don't know whether or not that is the case until the season ends. In this case France did enter moves for Spring 04 before surrendering later that season.

Even for subsequent turns there is no guarantee a surrendered country will NMR as at any time a player can pick up the position and enter moves eve 1 minute before the deadline.
Jegpeg

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)

Re: Game 147764 - English perspective

Postby mrob » 15 Oct 2018, 10:28

Thanks for clarifying this. This game was my first using this site and I meant to add what a brilliant facility it is. Thanks to everyone involved.
mrob

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1039)
All-game rating: (1041)

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)