AAR PDET 2017: Top Board

Discussion of finished games.

Re: AAR PDET 2017: Top Board

Postby boldblade » 08 May 2018, 20:47

WHSeward wrote:The winners write the history...

...though in this case it will just be the drawers. :mrgreen:

Lol!
boldblade

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Lebigmac » 08 May 2018, 21:30

WHSeward wrote:The winners write the history...

...though in this case it will just be the drawers. :mrgreen:

I can live with that, especially when I was told on multiple occasions my choices would cause me to lose.
Lebigmac

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1265)
All-game rating: (1256)

Postby gsmx » 08 May 2018, 23:40

Lebigmac wrote:
boldblade wrote:Only 2/7 have meaningfully contributed. It is unfortunate. So much drama I was looking forward to hearing about.

At the very least, I'd like to hear from Turkey. :?

I'm just looking forward to hearing Russia call everybody a bunch of dumbasses in long elaborate description. Where's that?!
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx

Standard rating: 2088
All-game rating: 2424
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Lebigmac » 09 May 2018, 00:00

gsmx wrote:
Lebigmac wrote:
boldblade wrote:Only 2/7 have meaningfully contributed. It is unfortunate. So much drama I was looking forward to hearing about.

At the very least, I'd like to hear from Turkey. :?

I'm just looking forward to hearing Russia call everybody a bunch of dumbasses in long elaborate description. Where's that?!

All over the website, including private press.

I do believe, however, he was somewhat mollified by Germany's elimination. Russia was quite right that Germany's decision to eliminate him would be costly.
Lebigmac

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1265)
All-game rating: (1256)

Postby BullCall » 13 May 2018, 23:20

Sorry for not getting an AAR in here earlier. To be honest I was gone so long before the end of the game my interest level declined as time passed. In my mind the game had a few significant turning points in my limited time of relevance.

I thought 1901 went pretty well from an alliance point of view. I was happy with the discussions about a Central Alliance were going well. I had some good discussions with Russia and could have worked with France as well, but at the end of the day it seemed like the Central Alliance had the most potential in my mind. In retrospect however maybe I should have gone for Trieste or Tyrolia, but at the end of 1901 when Russia missed the build I felt like I had made the right choice. My relationship with Turkey was the one that never seemed to get into the level of good discussion and while not impossible for an I/T alliance I never got the feeling Turkey was inclined to accept that though I felt like he was warming up as it appear R/T were at war with no hope of patching things up. Although I never feel great as Italy until I get to 6 or 7 SCs, I thought with R/T fighting and E/F at war the Central Alliance was looking really good. I exchanged probably a dozen messages with Austria in each of the spring and fall and a good number on the build turn. I usually like the Central Alliance as Italy, but my major concern is usually that Germany will expand too quickly and the board will be forced to rally against them to stop the solo. Needless to say after this game I have a new reason to dislike the Central Alliance.

Then there was the accident. I am so happy Buchaille has made progress on the road to recovery because the whole thing sounded horrific. But on a game level, to add insult to injury I misplayed the transition of Austria to Lebigmac. I thought we had a pretty good back and forth going, but the reality was the level of disclosure dropped and Lebigmac didn't want to reveal whether he was going to side with R or T in their fight. I was pushing a little for R, but mostly just wanted to ensure the I/T was good, but I didn't do it well enough. Mostly I thought new Austria was still onside with the Central Alliance, but clearly he was already making other plans as he felt isolated from Germany and I as allies. I mostly failed to reassure him I was on his side. The problems started in Fall 1902. Austria wanted me to move to AEG, but I still didn't know what he was doing and my chance of getting a build looked slim. We discussed a plan where Austria would hit Bulgaria and I would slide into Greece with Turkey's support, but Austria hated the idea and stabbed me putting Turkey into ION. The irony being I actually did what Austria wanted, but an attack on BUL would have worked and I could have been in GRE had we gone that way. But Turkey showed Austria a level of trust and followed through on the move to ION when he could have supported me to GRE. At the same time, my move into Spain worked that Austria had suggested, though I refused to tell him what I was doing in France as I didn't feel I was getting a similar level of disclosure. I thought Austria and I patched things up after the turn, and when Austria finally took Bulgaria in spring 1903 I thought things were going well. Clearly I hadn't realized how deep the cracks were.

So the relationship with Austria SEEMED ok, but I couldn't see me getting any builds in the east while things were working somewhat in the west. Austria had already mini-stabbed me when I suggested getting Greece so pushing back east and abandoning an attack on France while hoping to get SMY or CON in two years seemed like I'd fall way too far behind. I thought Austria on 7 or 8 SCs could take on R/T alone when the two were clearly not co-operating and I'd have a chance to take Iberia and head for MAO. In my head Germany and I would clean up the west. I did fear Germany would clean up England first and perhaps go for the solo, but it seemed like still the best path for me. Unfortunately Fall 1903 Austria decided to back out of the attack on Turkey. He blamed me for not support him in the east, but I think BPA just did a better job of convincing that an A/T would work, while I didn't convince him I would help out with Turkey once I had another build or two.

From here, my attempts to get Austria back or Turkey to break rank unfortunately fell flat and I soon found myself trying to squeeze into Iberia. Another failing on my part was my belief that Turkey would stab Austria at some point. I thought Austria had made a grave mistake, but it turned out I was the one who was mistaken. Had I realized how tight they were I would have begged Germany to break off the attack on England who I got along well with and try and preserve a 5-way. I think Germany thought as I did that the A/T would eventually fail, but clearly they were more solid than we thought. There was a chance to hold a 5 or 6 way draw at one point I think, but England decided to torpedo the plan rather than give Germany any help.

In any case, a well played mid-game and end game by Lebigmac and BPA. I thought my opening was good, but I botched the transition to a new Austria where I/A never got as close as it should have and got outplayed by Turkey's diplomatic strength. Shoulda, woulda, coulda... But thanks to all for a great game and the organizers for all their work!
BullCall

Standard rating: 1554
All-game rating: 1592
Timezone: GMT-7

Previous

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)