The players:

AUSTRIA: prgm
ENGLAND: nanooktheeskimo (3 way draw)
FRANCE: Iggy
GERMANY: Pootleflump
ITALY: dib
RUSSIA: Alman (3 way draw)
TURKEY: RedSun (3 way draw)

This was a Classicist game (as advertised for here), started on the 1st of November, and finishing up today, the 12th of March. Everyone involved, please feel free to leave your comments or your side of the story here!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: AAR: 136485. Marcus Tullius II

Postby Nanook » 13 Mar 2018, 02:58

Before anything else, a picture of the final board state:

Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Nanook » 13 Mar 2018, 03:20

Now, a couple comments.

First off, thanks to dib for setting this game up! It was at times an exceptionally frustrating game for me, but overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. I hope I wasn't so much of an ass that I'm blacklisted from your games now! ;)

Second, there was some nastiness that developed between myself and Germany. Personally, I credit most of that nastiness developing to conflicting views of the game--namely, that I treat it as a game and consider there to be certain lines that shouldn't be crossed in communication, and Pootle seems to take it a bit more personally while caring less for lines. I think this created a natural issue, and I probably won't go into this in much detail if any, but suffice it to say that I will likely not be playing any full-comms games with pootle in the near future.

Thirdly, this game started at the exact worst possible time for me! It started the day I left for the Carnage FtF tournament in Vermont, and the deadline fell while I'd still be there. And on top of it being a FtF tournament, my girlfriend tagged along with me to make it a vacation. So it was not a recipe for successful communication, is what i'm getting at.

Fourth, some people complained in the shoutbox about it being a bit of a boring ending...this is sort of true, but from my POV...I got off to a riproaring start, but every time I tried to push along a path that would lead me towards a solo, I had to change course. So yeah, kinda of a steady end to an otherwise exciting game...but from my perspective, I tried to push towards a solo a couple times, but I could never gain enough traction to get myself past the stalemate line. I tried with an early push into Russia, I tried by stabbing Germany and lulling Russia to sleep with that, I tried by stabbing France and getting Italy to work with me so I could hopefully slip past Italian defenses, and near the end I tried by seeing if France and/or Italy actually wanted to shake things up and make them interesting by putting me across the stalemate line in exchange for me ignoring Iberia. None of these approaches panned out, but I definitely pushed for the solo shot at every opportunity I thought was viable. At the end there was no path past 16, maybe 17 centers tht didn't involve 8-12 more years and probably an NMR. Russia and Turkey could've set up a stalemate line very effectively and very quickly, and while I wasn't sure of Turkey's tactical acumen, I was 100% sure that Russia would get it done.

That's all I've got for now. Anyone with questions for me or things they want covered more I'll happily address. Would love to hear more of other people's stories too!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Nanook » 13 Mar 2018, 06:25

Oh, and I forgot to say this, but in connection to numero tres above: I actually did not send a message the entire first turn. Not a single one. I read the messages I was receiving via email notifications, and obviously I entered orders, but I didn't send a single message the entire first year, and I confused which messages were from France and which were from Germany (despite Germany saying German or Germany several times in her messages!). That I turned that start into a solid 3 way and the most realistic shot at a solo through most of the game makes this one of my most shameful (cause I hate having to gunboat a full comms game for a day and a half, let alone an entire turn) and most proud moments (cause I worked my ass off to turn things around and have a solid game).
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby dib » 13 Mar 2018, 14:38

I have amended the result and posted in the classicist league here - (There doesnt seem to be one for 2018):

viewtopic.php?f=672&t=55077&p=923639#p923639
dib

Standard rating: (1824)
All-game rating: (1942)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Nanook » 13 Mar 2018, 20:20

dib wrote:I have amended the result and posted in the classicist league here - (There doesnt seem to be one for 2018):

viewtopic.php?f=672&t=55077&p=923639#p923639

Give us your side of what happened! I'd love to hear the story of the game from your POV, there's a lot of stuff I've sort of guessed at in your general area of the board, but I don't know how accurate some of my inferences were.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Iggy » 13 Mar 2018, 21:16

This was one of my most disappointing performances in any game ever. Not because I lost - that happens. More from participation. As noted by nanook - ealry on I had zero communication from him and things got off on the wrong foot. Then we sort of got things back on track and then the end of December happened. I work IT in a retail company and holiday times can be hectic. Things went really south at some point and my participation became almost nill.

I've only missed 3 turns ever since I started playing on this site. The first one I don't recall but looking back at a couple games, I think it was my final turn in a game that I was eliminated from but really had no move options but appears I didn't put in the hold order. I missed 2 turns in this one, although I thought I had put in orders for at least one of them. I think I may have put them in, then deleted them to re-do them, then got distracted and never got back to the game. Those missed turns cost me any chance of actually working with the people I was trying to, but my extremely limited communication at that same time surely didn't help.

After that I just limped along and tried to work with Italy to make things difficult on anyone I could. I'm not much of a kingmaker unless someone just completely ticks me off so when nanook finally came asking about what could be done to get him the solo, I had no interest in helping at that point. Throw me a bone when I still might have some glimmer of hope, IMO, and maybe I'd have been more accommodating. Despite my unacceptable missed moves, it was still fun playing and communicating with all involved.
Iggy

Standard rating: (1187)
All-game rating: (1259)

Postby Nanook » 13 Mar 2018, 21:20

Iggy wrote:I'm not much of a kingmaker unless someone just completely ticks me off so when nanook finally came asking about what could be done to get him the solo, I had no interest in helping at that point. Throw me a bone when I still might have some glimmer of hope, IMO, and maybe I'd have been more accommodating.

Italy made this difficult--by the time he wasn't a nuisance, you were knocked down too far for me to really offer anything more than "I won't take Spain." Which obviously isn't all that appealing. I don't begrudge Italy being a pain in the side at all, just made it harder for me to come to you with this before I made sure Italy wasn't going to make it backfire--an unfortunate set of circumstances, basically.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby RedSun » 18 Mar 2018, 03:12

This is my AAR based off of memory:

So I actually openned up the game intending to cut off Russia early. I wanted Germany, Austria and myself to kill Russia early and then I could go across the board. I was planning on entering the Black Sea and Austria went into Romania so we could easily cut off Russia early on. Yet Italy wouldn't agree to DMZ the Ionian Sea and I wanted Greece. I kept trying to communicate to him that he should just take Tunis and not make a big conflict but he refused. The fact he wouldn't agree not to move into the Ionian Sea was a deal breaker and then Russia told me he was planning a Lepanto which I suspected I moved on a gut instinct and didn't move into the Black Sea because I didn't want to anger Russia if a Lepanto was actually coming for me. Turns out it was a good decision. Austria was still hopeful that I was part of his group with Germany and I kept leaking information to Russia hoping he'd trust me. When we were backed into a corner and he allowed me to move into Rumania and then Sevastopol our alliance was pretty solid since we trusted the other to do exactly as stated.

The next stage was I wanted to get Germany off Russia's back. I also wanted to keep France around to pressure Italy and thus I tried to get the two of them to ally against England in order to stop him since he had the most centers on the board. However this wasn't working out and since England was poised to attack several members I lied to him and told him I heard Germany was out to get him. If he were to attack Germany it'd weaken Germany's involvement in the war on Russia and would get England off Russia's back. England was furious at Germany and so rolled over Germany and eliminated her first from the game finally loosening some breathing space for my friend to the north Russia.

The next stage was trying to get France to help me with Italy. I was trying for a while to get the French to assist me in engaging with Italy. I asked the English to hold back on destroying France hoping France would attack the Italians. The French never assisted me. Meanwhile the Russians and I were cracking down on Austria. Then Italy and France stabbed each other and France PMd me he was willing to help me destroy Italy after the stab. However he still wasn't helpful and I stopped asking the English to hold back on their destruction of France a the three major powers realized their final attack plan. England finished off the Iberian Peninsula and southern France as I attacked the Italian peninsula. And a three way draw resolved.

The most fearful point of time was that the Russians and English were always wary of each others moves and yelling at each other. I was afraid that if war erupted then I would loose out since I knew I was in the weakest position for a solo and thus a three-way was more suitable. I was pretty sure my shot at a solo was gone as soon as the Lepanto came for me. Anyway I thought it was a pretty good game. I will say that if Italy hadn't been so stubborn on moving into the Ionian in the Spring and telegraphing his planned moves to me the game would've gone a very different way for me though.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Nanook » 18 Mar 2018, 03:33

2 things.

1, I attacked Germany for reasons entirely unrelated to Turkish comms.

2, me and Russia weren't yelling at each other--I feel fairly confident he can yell better than that, and I know for sure that I can ;)

Bonus 3rd: Italy has no reason to DMZ ION. If you want some security against a Lepanto, asking him to put the fleet in Tunis instead of convoying the army.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Next

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)