Postby Jack007 » 25 Feb 2018, 07:12

England: Ikonoklast
France: ebobo
Italy: AntiStateQuixote
Germany: Bengal Tiger (2-way draw)
Austria: dobiszu
Turkey: UBZugzwang
Russia: Puzzleleafs (2-way draw)

Well done, guys and girls. This was a good game with no relevant dropouts. There have been worries about different levels of Diplomacy experience among the players at the beginning of the game, but as it turned out, the winners were not the most experienced. Congratulations all.

Now it's time to let the players speak. Looking forward to read something about the diplomatic backgrounds.

Link to the game: https://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play ... _id=138614
Jack007 (xxxx.) unbanned for dubious reasons
Member of the Honorables
There is no greater solitude than the samurai's,
unless it be that of the tiger in the jungle… perhaps…
-bushido
Jack007

Location: Apulia (Sta Maria di Leuca) ⛵ Instagram @jack060856
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1531
All-game rating: 1669
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: AAR: 138614. Mentor Game - January 1, 2018

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 25 Feb 2018, 12:46

Russia in Rome..! :shock:
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Mild Hiatus.
Don Juan of Austria
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1051
All-game rating: 1148
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby AntiStateQuixote » 25 Feb 2018, 16:22

My biggest strategic error: telling Russia repeatedly that I was going to try for solo victory, and expecting that she would do the same. I've played a dozen or so face-to-face Diplomacy games, and I've rarely seen a game end in a draw. It never occurred to me that playing for a draw was a reasonable strategic option. Knowing that she always intended to achieve a draw position with Germany would have very much changed how I dealt with her.

My biggest tactical error: not turning on Russia a year or two before her goal became obvious. I had a brief window during which I could have decimated her in Austria and the Balkans, but I chose not to do so as we had worked very well together for several years, and I didn't want to stab her.

My biggest diplomatic error: Lying to Austria in the first two years. I'm sure my treatment of Austria impacted how Russia dealt with me and had some impact on Russia's goal of achieving a 2-way draw instead of accepting a 3-way draw. I should not have made agreements with Austria, and instead should have attacked straight out with no promises/lies.

My biggest regret: playing Italy. It's very hard for me to play Italy and not go after Austria. I know there are other options, but none seem palatable to me. I'm playing two other games now. In one I'm Austria, was allied with Italy, and have watched as Italy struggled to achieve 6 SCs while I'm now sitting at 12. In another game just started, I'm playing Italy again, and finding it very difficult to make peace with Austria.

Overall I had a great time and learned a lot about the very different animal that online/postal Diplomacy is compared to face-to-face. Looking forward to more.

Thanks everyone for the game!

ASQ
AntiStateQuixote

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1093)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Bengal Tiger » 27 Feb 2018, 03:47

Hello all and thank you for that game, it was quite an experience! So, this is a bit of how things happened from my point of view.

Communicated with everybody and reached to some conclusions: England and Italy were the most experienced players even though they haven;t played for years, some of us have played once or twice before and the rest were complete beginners. Italy approached me with an offer for a Triple Alliance between me (Germany), Italy and Austria. I had nothing to lose since I wasn't planning on attacking Austria (well, according to Richard Sharp's manual that our mentor was kind enough to provide). I wouldn't have done otherwise to be frank, it's quite obvious that Germany has other fronts to worry about to open an additional one in it's rear! Furthermore, Austria seemed like a useful breakwater If anything went wrong and Turkey or Russia got very strong. They would have to pass through her to reach me so I needed Austria alive and kicking for as much as possible. Italy was not a lucrative target as well, it would be hard to penetrate into the peninsula (oh, I was to experience it first hand later in the game) and would require safe borders on every other front so I decided to agree on the Triple Alliance plan and focus on England, Russia and France.

France was a total beginner while England was seen as one of the two "veterans". Russia was novice, like me. I had to decide If it was better to attack the strongest player first or, on the other hand, ally with him. I chose to attack, especially from the moment that rumours spread that England and France are collaborating. It seemed to me that England has taken France under her wing. By that time I have established a very good communication channel with Russia and we seemed to get along very well and I decided to ally with her. And it was quite an alliance!

So, my moves in the first year were towards Denmark and Holland, I tried to get into Burgundy with no success (France supported from Marseilles, I was quite surprised he did that, I thought it was English counselling) but I attacked Burgundy again at the fall and managed to leave it empty and make sure Munich was safe for now. Of course, I let Russia into Sweden and I was so determined to eliminate England that one of my two very first builds was a fleet.

Italy stabbed Austria in the Fall of '01 while we have agreed on a combined attack against France. Well, Italy convinced me that he will ultimately attack France and that Trieste was but an easy prey for him with no intention of an all-out attack on Austria. So much for the Triple Alliance, I thought, but to be honest I couldn't have spared an army to defend Austria against Italy.

I forgot to talk about Turkey, but Turkey was a mystery to me. Communication was not very good, I tried to take any information I could and supply it to Russia.

Bengal Tiger

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (977)
All-game rating: (977)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Puzzleleafs » 27 Feb 2018, 08:51

Hey folks! Russia(Laura) here.
I don't know to what extend strategy actually played into my draw with Germany, I feel like I got quite lucky with how things turned out. I had a lot of fun with the game and really appreciate having the chance to play with all of you. In all honestly I think the biggest thing I learned from this particular game(may not follow through later) is that despite it being a strategy game that heavily relies on deception and trickery. Honest human interaction played a huge part in how the game turned out. Germany and I had contact early on and I genuinely consider him a friend. Betraying Austria was incredibly hard(I was honest with her about largely all of my moves) as I grew to really appreciate her support. Maybe I'm just naive on this, but I think even just regular communication can be really helpful as that's what forms stronger alliances.
I wish you all good luck in your future games!!! It was fun playing with you.
Puzzleleafs

Timezone: Pacific

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)