Postby el Swine » 19 Feb 2018, 04:51

England El Swine
France Big Bert (substitute)
Italy FloridaMan (substitute)
Germany Surrendered
Austria kwc (substitute)
Turkey PJL
Russia LordSpock (substitute)

As England, well I guess I should be happy, I won. But what I take from this game is what can and has happened in many others when players are half-hearted in their commitment to play, and when others give up and sulk when stabbed. Turkey was the only other original player, I thank him, and I thank the others for stepping in to pick up the pieces of the surrendered countries.

The one truism out of the game I have experienced a number of times before, and that is, at the end game, the more partners in the coalition of resistance against the power marching to the win, the more chance you have of pulling off the win. If I had of been facing just France and Turkey in the race to win, I probably would have been held up. With both Italy and Russia in the coalition, both spread to the winds, someone was going to get unhappy with the terms of the impending "draw" and sabotage the defence. This happened. In the end it was Russia, I would've done the same thing in his position because he was going to be eliminated by the alliance that listed him as a member. Anyway, here's how it ended in 1908

Things began in a pretty standard fashion with some weird variations. Both Germany and Austria only picked up one build. Germany forgoing Holland and Austria Serbia, which kind of painted targets on their heads. Turkey got started strongly picking up Rum and destroying the Russian southern fleet. The clearest alliance was formed with England and France.

In 02 the attack on Germany was intense and immediately successful. Germany NMR'ed into surrender S02. There would be no substitute, it was over fast. In the east, non-communication, mistrust reigned. Austria seemed to trust no one despite Italy's attempts to work with him. Signs were not good. Strangely, by the end of the 02 build, France still had one fleet. Another target was painted on a head.

Things began to move rapidly. The world collapsed on Austria and he was reduced to holding Trieste and Serbia. The remnants of Germany were blown away and StP was stolen by England, a walk in. End 03 and one was eliminated, another almost and the E/F was truly dominant.

04 and Austria was hanging on to an exiled unit in Greece (this rogue unit sneakily retrieved Trieste in a walk in the next year - a big oversight by Italy). Italy's gambit of hamstringing Austria, probably born off the back of a deal with Russia to take care of Turkey next (Italy had gotten a fleet into the East Med) failed as the French entered the Tyr Sea and took Venice. I have sympathy for Italy, he faced the devils choice. Fight and go down with Austria, or make a deal with someone to try and get a foothold. In the end any choice was death. The speed with which the E/F had reached to the Tyr Sea and captured Warsaw probably forged an organised resistance at this point.

05 and the stab was on. I stabbed France for Warsaw, Berlin and Portugal in F05. If you're going to stab, make it count and go deep. France had been a "skipping through the meadow" kind of ally, built poorly to defend against a stab and reacted badly when stabbed. He promptly left the game. Fortunately a replacement came in before the pieces sat still waiting to die. Meanwhile, Turkey tried to box out of the corner by taking what was left of Russia. Russia and Italy had also surrendered and been replaced, so you can't blame Turkey, he no doubt thought there would be no substitute, with Russia in exile in Austria/Rumania and no home centres.

Critically, the ongoing feud between R/T would decide the game. One move it appeared they moved in concert, the next they were fighting. It meant that Warsaw and Moscow would never be threatened as English holdings, which in turn meant that none of Spain, Marseilles and more critically Tunis would need to be captured for the 18.

My final negotiations were around selling the draw to two of the remaining four on the other side. That meant two of the current survivors would have to die. Turkey and Russia were already at loggerheads. The coalition collapsed and the war was won.

Final note.... don't play games with up to 5 days move deadlines. With surrenders and NMR's you'll die of old age before it's over :D
el Swine

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1251)
All-game rating: (1258)
Timezone: GMT+10

Re: AAR 137423. Serious Communicative Players Please

Postby FloridaMan » 05 Mar 2018, 01:46

I'll be responding to this with my own reflections shortly...
Check Out My Diplomacy YouTube Channel!

"I've been looking forward to this."
~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."
~ Words of House Bolton, A Song of Ice and Fire
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1676
All-game rating: 1784
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby gareth66 » 06 Mar 2018, 12:35

Wow. A game ending with 4 substitutes and 1 surrender is seriously shocking! Hats off to PJL and El Swine for seeing it through.
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)
Timezone: GMT

Postby FloridaMan » 08 Mar 2018, 05:40

In the below video, I've detailed my thoughts about the game, from the point when I took up arms.

I am interested in hearing the opinion of the German player on what happened, if the other people from this game are still following this thread at all.
Check Out My Diplomacy YouTube Channel!

"I've been looking forward to this."
~ Count Dooku, Star Wars

"Our blades are sharp."
~ Words of House Bolton, A Song of Ice and Fire
FloridaMan
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1676
All-game rating: 1784
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)