"Hapsburg Chin" - 132320 AAR

Discussion of finished games.

"Hapsburg Chin" - 132320 AAR

Postby MrShed123 » 22 Jul 2017, 11:20

Placeholder for AAR - game has just been won in a 2 way draw by Austria and England (myself playing Austria).
MrShed123

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: 1175
All-game rating: 1225
Timezone: GMT

Re: "Hapsburg Chin" - 132320 AAR

Postby MrShed123 » 22 Jul 2017, 12:39

OK - first full AAR so hopefully not doing this wrong!

Players and result:

ENGLAND reeve222 (2way DRAW)
FRANCE surrendered
ITALY Chiefmoore
GERMANY TheYoungJewels
AUSTRIA MrShed123 (2way DRAW)
TURKEY lazynomad
RUSSIA optimisms

Draw called in S10.

So this game ended up as a 2 way draw with myself and England, and was a really topsy turvy game. I personally found this game incredibly exhausting - playing as Austria tends to require a little more thought in my experience due to the really high number of options. It was also one of two 12/12/12 hour deadline games I was playing at once - not usually a timescale I like to play, especially as I am non-US so timezones get in the way. As such, this was a really tricky little game.

So, to outline how we proceeded each turn, and some of my thoughts behind it as we went. I'll post images as they become pertinent.

Spring 01
Reasonably standard opening for all players. Points of particular note:
- Russia made a strong westward opening towards Germany, and left Sev to go to Rum, allowing Turkey into BLA
- Myself and Italy managed to vacate Ven and Tri without incident , this really allowed some wider moves later in the game.
- England and France looked to have a DMZ/NAP at this point, with England making a strong northward move and France southern.

At this time, I was communicating well with Germany, Italy, Turkey and Russia. I had no preconcieved idea of who to work more with at this point although I was a little wary of Italy (nothing I could put my finger on).

Fall 01

The westward moves of Russia and keeping Gal free gave me a decent position as Austria in the fall, and I moved to take Greece and Serbia. As I mentioned, I was a little wary of Italy, so I moved back to cover Tri in case he moved from Tyr. As it happened, he made a rapid (and unexpected) move on Munich.

I had promised Turkeyt support into Rum in the fall - I hadnt neccessarily planned on following through, but the Italian position in Tyr was good enough excuse to refuse. As it happens, he got into Rum anyway and I was happy to get into Greece without any challenge.

Russia played a bit of a shocker this turn, not all his fault - he got bounced from Swe by Germany, lost Rum to turkey due to an illegal move , and as a result ended up with zero builds.

End of F01:

Spring 02
The weakened position of Russia made me smell blood. I messaged Turkey basically pleading for him to coordinate closely to take Russia down. We agreed a plan to do so. However, I was also messaging Russia and I convinced him to let me into Gal to help reclaim Rum. I had no real interest in Turkey breaking out of his corner. So in the end, I moved to Gal and took Bul from the Turk.

Italy didnt respond to my messages this turn, I was encouraging him to move his fleets eastward to help take the Turk down. This was the beginning of increased concern over Italy. I also didnt speak with Germany this turn, I dont really know why. I think I just wanted to see how hte Italian/German war continued, it certainly didnt work against me.

Elsewhere, England and Germany kept up an attack on Russia from the north, Russia in a whole heap of trouble now.

Fall 02
Big concerns for me this turn over Italy. He tried to get Trieste (which I must admit I actually didnt spot at the time), and moved his army from tunis to Albania. He messaged me after the moves to try and persuade me that he was just making some appearances to Turkey by this move - I didnt believe it.

Russia and I held Rum and Bul respectively, but Russia lost StP.

I moved Gal to Sil instead of going at War. I realised that to break Turkey down I needed Russian support so I didnt want to move on him too early. The Sil move was one of flexibility with Italy and Germany - Italy had this turn managed to take Berlin, but lost Munich.

Spring 03

I was frustrated with Italy. I supported Germany back into Berlin this turn, and Germany in turn supported my into Tyr. I looked to destroy Alb but failed. Italy and I again didnt discuss this turn.

France managed to push into German territory this turn and Sweden (STILL an empty SC in S03!) finally fell to England.

Fall 03

I got a message before this turn end, basically the Italian realising he had made a bad call and trying to get my not to move on Venice (which was wide open for the taking). He agreed a convoy away of Alb and asked me to help back into Ber.

I saw no benefit at all of agreeing, but I of course agreed and then used the situation to my advantage. I took Ven and continued to hold onto Bul.

I also took War this turn - believe it or not Russia actually asked me to do this, to bounce Italy. Dont look a gift horse in the mouth and all that! This was a turning point for me - I had the initiative in the east, with Russian blessing. Even better, Germany had asked me to take Warsaw. The diplomacy lined up perfectly.

It was unfortunate that Russia lost Sev this turn.

Spring 04

The game started to get very interesting this turn.

The diplomacy was interesting. Italy and I exchanged some interesting (and pleasant) messages despite the stab, after I explained I just couldnt trust him. We actually agreed to some continued collaboration, supporting him into Smy, and a loose agreement to allow him back into Ven (this was to become something of a topic of the game).

Germany looking in a lot of trouble, I was coordinating moves with him.

Russia and I coordinating heavily this turn, and he got Sev back.

Fall 04

Russia was very annoyed with my after S04, as I had moved Bud to Vie rather than Gal - which was unintentional from my part, it was just a poor move, and I tried to make amends. Italy, Russia and I started to make three way conversation this turn about how to deal with Turkey and resolve the situatiuon. As it happened we got a good set of moves that stopped Turkey from taking advantage. This continued into 1905.

I started trying to persuade England to turn on France this turn.

Germany wanted support to Munich - I refused as he probably couldnt have taken it, and besides which I wanted it for myself.

I only exchanged 3 messgaes with France all game, one was this turn (the final one) persuading him we should work together. This was nothing more than playing the game.

Spring 1905

Not masses to report this turn - Turkey fell, England started (loose) movements against France (at this time I thought he was bluffing). I agreed with Italy that he would have Venice this year.

Fall 1905

A hugely important turn.

- I got into Bur, critical to take down the French.
- I refused to return Venice.
- I held Gal on the Russian border.
- England moved properly on France.

Italy was, suffice to say, furious with me.

I spun a story to Italy and Russia about a personal situation - basically, that I had had a few drinks. This wasnt entirely false - I had indeed had a night out that night, and when I've had a couple I am always more inclined to play aggressively. That said, it was a very conscious decision not the "accident" that I had portrayed. Italy seemed to disbelieve me, Russia was more on board - probably as he hadnt lost anything, yet.

In reality, this should have been game over.

Spring 1906

I promised Italy Venice back, and yet again refused to do so.

I was pleased, as he took Con! Russias moves were strange as well.

However, I had a bit of a crisis of confidence this turn, and wanted to keep Russia on side, so I allowed him into Warsaw.

I was coordinating heavily with England by this time.

Fall 1906

The last turn I spoke with Italy. The Russian move on Bul worried me (some excuses from the Russian), but in general my growth and coordination with England continued. I'm interested in Russias view here, as I presume he was actually intending to take Bul.

Spring 1907

I believe this is where we had a long break, and was a chance for some of the heat to fall out. Russia supported me to Con.

Fall 1907

Probably the last turn of major importance.

I stabbed Russia as he was asking for SCs (primarily Ser). So I took the opportunity to move into Warsaw and Rumania. England made a big move on France this turn.

End game
In effect, the rest of this game was really just movements into various positions - I continued to chip away at Russia and Italy, there was no real diplomacy still going on. Russia and I had very heated conversation through 1908 (as I expected) but with no outcome (nor was I really wanting one other than possible assistance to get rid of Italy - I would never have intended to allow Russia to grow again).

Positiuon in Fall of 09:

In some ways almost too early to call the draw, but it was clear that Italy and Russia couldnt put up any further fight.

I was surprised that Italy and Russia both accepted the draw - in their shoes I usually force the issue, and try to ensure the 2 way draw cant happen.

As it happened, England and I by this point had a very strong position and agreement for various SCs and robust DMZs so this may well have actually ended up in a 2 way draw.

In a different game, I would have gone for the solo. England had gone FAR too heavy with fleets in this game, and I could have taken the solo from F09 reasonably easily. However - I was a lot (and I mean a LOT) more deceptive and two faced in this game than I usually would have been, and I had found it (and the genuine anger of Italy and russia towards me) exhausting. I'm not a player who stabs for the fun of it, and Russia had been a loyal ally throughout. That said, Russia had been weakened since very early, so I would have stabbed eventually.

A really interesting game with some different play. Thanks to all.
MrShed123

Postby MrShed123 » 22 Jul 2017, 14:48

I should have probably said as well, I feel this game was defined by two things:
1) the weak Russian opening.
2) the Italian move against Germany

Both non standard and gave me a lot of options. Combined with my decision not to go at Russia but turkey instead, the eastern war was won. It could have been slightly different if Italy hadn't moved to Albania as I may have worked with them!
MrShed123

Postby optimisms » 22 Jul 2017, 20:24

Oh. My. Goodness. I just spent over an hour writing a whole AAR, clicked save draft, then preview. I was logged out, went back, and my draft is nonexistent. I hate my life. I'll post something small at some point in the future but I need to go cry rn.
optimisms

Standard rating: (984)
All-game rating: (986)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby MrShed123 » 22 Jul 2017, 20:27

I must admit I was so pleased I copied and pasted mine as similar happened to me!!!
MrShed123

Postby MrShed123 » 22 Jul 2017, 20:28

Are you sure your draft isn't in your control panel?
MrShed123

Postby optimisms » 23 Jul 2017, 20:52

Yes I'm sure...I'd saved my draft earlier, way way way earlier, and that's the only draft that I can pull up.
optimisms

Standard rating: (984)
All-game rating: (986)
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)