AAR - 122991. How Many More Times?; F solo

Discussion of finished games.

Re: AAR - 122991. How Many More Times?; F solo

Postby Nanook » 27 Mar 2017, 01:24

If you had held the line, a draw could've been had. But you played with an incredible amount of shortsightedness throughout the entire game, so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised when that continued.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Carebear » 27 Mar 2017, 02:32

nanooktheeskimo wrote:If you had held the line, a draw could've been had. But you played with an incredible amount of shortsightedness throughout the entire game, so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised when that continued.

That sounds almost bitter. :D
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby Nanook » 27 Mar 2017, 02:54

Carebear wrote:
nanooktheeskimo wrote:If you had held the line, a draw could've been had. But you played with an incredible amount of shortsightedness throughout the entire game, so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised when that continued.

That sounds almost bitter. :D

Bitter? Me? Nawwwwwww....

maybe a little
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby WHSeward » 27 Mar 2017, 08:22

justy wrote:From Spring 1903 to Spring 1908 when I was defeated, Italy went after me and nothing I said to him was able to change that. France suggested that I'd cede my home SCs to Italy and attack Turkey with Italy and France. That could have possibly kept me in the game a bit longer, but I didn't really consider it. I'm not that into playing as vassal just to survive into a draw.

*drains beer and orders a second*
Two comments on this bit. First, I didn't actually suggest you cede your home SCs to Italy. I thought you should work with Italy and started suggesting it in 1902, but the longer you waited as your position was deteriorating, the more you were going to have to give him to buy him off. I did write in F05 when E-F-G-I-R were all bearing down on you, "...you would have [to] bargain with [Italy]" and "share some SCs with him." Two turns later F-I captured Tri & Gre from Austria. I think if you had just made a deal for one or both of those SCs instead, you could have bought some allies and been better off.

As far as being unwilling to play as a vassal to try to survive to a draw, I understand that for those "soloist manifesto"-types (well, I sort of understand) but I have to say, it isn't my approach and I am not sure it is the best approach for a fun game. Most games you are aren't going to have a solo chance. Do you really just throw in the towel? One of my favorite, most memorable and fun games I have been in at PlayDip, I played Italy and had to vassal to a dominant western alliance after getting bashed early by an A-T alliance. (Sound familiar?) Ultimately we flipped the board, pushed the West back over a stalemate line, and I survived to the 5-way draw with 2 SCs. (As did 1 unit Austria!) Getting to that draw and all the diplomacy and tactics that it took to pull it off was a lot of fun and felt very rewarding.

Specific to this game, Austria got eliminated in 1908, the same year England stabbed me. If Austria had just managed to stay alive a little longer and England's stab had gone better, who knows what might have happened. As long as you have a unit on the board, you still have a shot, and sometimes staying alive takes playing the vassal. Food for thought.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby ColonelApricot » 27 Mar 2017, 11:43

The key to being a successful (that is, a surviving) vassal is convincing your ally that you're more valuable to him alive than dead. This could range from enabling certain tactical manoeuvres possible only with distinct powers (e.g. The forward retreat), to providing helpful advice or just being an amusing companion. Likely he can extinguish you at any moment with a swish of his sword but why bother unless it is the final centre needed for his victory, in which case you have done no worse than any other.
Dog of War in ToS
GRU of the Despicables in TTT
ColonelApricot

Standard rating: 1010
All-game rating: 1400
Timezone: GMT

Previous

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)