AAR 125276 New Year's Revolution

Discussion of finished games.

AAR 125276 New Year's Revolution

Postby Foibleson » 11 Mar 2017, 17:58

This game started around New Year's Day 2017 and finished on March 10.

Anonymous players until the end. Players were revealed to be:

ENGLAND Foibleson (4way DRAW)
FRANCE numberwang1 (4way DRAW)
ITALY appleseedy (4way DRAW)
GERMANY Eleusinian
AUSTRIA AngelEyesGBU (4way DRAW)
TURKEY Jordan767
RUSSIA surrendered

Spring 1901

I proposed to France (numberwang1) that I take Brest in 1901 in exchange for a long-term alliance with England. He agreed, and turned out to be one of the most reliable allies I've had in a long time (though not the most reliable possible.) But this may in part have come out of necessity, and there is one time when he apparently tried to stab me but Germany didn't go along with it.

It was a good thing too, because Russia opened up to block me from Norway and Germany claimed to have allied with him against me from the start. My main accomplishment this game was tearing apart this alliance and punishing it through elimination.

Germany simultaneously bounce Russia while Russia bounced me. This sort of goes against Germany's claims later that he was allied with Russia from the beginning. Fortunately I had a game-saving alliance with France and he let me into Brest as agreed. I would return the favor by helping him later, though I almost was convinced to eliminate him later on when Italy was causing trouble. But I get ahead of myself....

France and I bounce in MAO to hide our alliance. France and Germany form a stalemate along their borders, in the meantime an amazing super-Lepanto is opening in the east with Austria and Italy, who took out Turkey like nobody's business.

Things aren't looking good for F/E alliance as Russia and Germany make gains. I had offered to support France into Holland and the game could have gone very differently if I had followed through - there was some miscommunication on both our parts, lack of confirmation, and I trusted Germany when I shouldn't have. France thought I was going to support him into Holland but was instead dislodged, and I thought I was going to get Norway. But then Russia and Germany found themselves in an awkward position and delayed their advance by trying to swap spots.

Turkey was eliminated, not a small feat for such a country with a strong defense. This left Russia open for a stab by Austria, which is quickly what happened. Italy turned towards France. The Italian-Austrian alliance proved to be the most formidable on the board.

Fall 1904 was a turning point for France/England because Italy helped France with Germany and Russia attacked Germany at the same time, Germany must not have been a very good diplomat that turn, or something else caused the momentum to go against his favor:

In 1905, Italy decided to slip into MAO where he was going to annoy F/E for some time. If I had known that it was appleseedy... who I have a grudge against from another game where as Italy he attacked me playing as Germany and proceeded to win a solo.

Around the time Austria took Munich is when Russia began to see Austria as the real threat, and he made peace with me, persuaded that we needed to focus all our energy stopping Germany/Austria/Italy. But I stabbed Russia as was his due. Good thing I did, because I needed the builds to keep Italy out of Liverpool. :evil: Appleseedy. :x

Russia makes a tactical error, attacking me out of anger when he should have been on the defensive. This opens up the path for me to St. Petersburg, where I locked Austria out for the rest of the game.

Here I took Paris, which France was not happy about of course, but I kept building armies and later when I was disbanding, I disbanded fleets. In the end it helped me by allowing me to create more armies, and I didn't need that many fleets since I wasn't attacking France. France also took back both Brest and Paris before the end of the game, as I agreed.

In the end I was glad to share a draw with France, who was a good ally. I wasn't happy to share a draw with Italy after I found out who he was, but that's the way it goes. And Austria - well played! But you tried to solo too early. You could have tried allying with me vs. the rest of the board, but I think you had given up or thought that wouldn't be possible. I might have listened to such an idea if you had proposed it...
Foibleson

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1075)
All-game rating: (1095)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: AAR 125276 New Year's Revolution

Postby Jordan767 » 11 Mar 2017, 19:15

I was Turkey.

All I really have to say is I got totally played by a well executed Key Lepanto.
Silver Classicist.
New(ish) forum mafia player.
Vandali in Imperium
Jordan767

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (947)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby appleseedy » 11 Mar 2017, 19:51

difficult game, i wanted to stab Austria all along but got bogged down and never had the position. a wntergreen was planned and in the end Italy and France had enough oomph to force England and Austria to accept a draw...well that's how i saw it. What grudge? awwww friends? :P
Palladium member of the classicists
appleseedy

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1184)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Foibleson » 11 Mar 2017, 21:04

What is a wintergreen plan?
Foibleson

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 11 Mar 2017, 21:22

Foibleson wrote:What is a wintergreen plan?

Just looking through.... And happened to see this.
Winter-Green is a Russian/Italian alliance. :)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1047)
All-game rating: (1160)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Eleusinian » 13 Mar 2017, 09:09

Foibleson, I don't know how many times I have to tell you that my (Germany's) alliance with Russia was a temporary one of early convenience, and not one of long-term strategy, before you believe me. :) Russia and me trading in Scandinavia wasn't a delay in the advance -- it was meant as a steady-state, so that we could focus our energies (separately) elsewhere. The alliance had accomplished its goals and wound down by the time you got to tearing it apart.

I have to admit, this was... not the most exciting game I've ever played. Maybe that's just sour grapes, but ah well. Austria and Russia proved nice to work with (a big reason for that early, if short-lived, alliance you were apparently so afraid of!). But Italy would hardly communicate but in terse messages, France lied (or mis-entered orders) I think literally every turn, and England proved frustratingly impossible to turn against France.

By 1904, I could pretty clearly see the writing on the wall:

- France was neither trustworthy nor in a good spot to help me
- England was not trustworthy, but at least had strength
- Austria was finishing the Lepanto and looked to be in a strong position, but not in a great position to work with me
- Russia was a wildcard who could at best drag me down with him (which he ended up doing, slightly)
- Italy was essentially non-communicative

As I saw it, this game was headed towards a boring stalemate, in which E/F would stare down A/I, possibly with France getting knocked out along the way. In particular, England and France seemed to be playing to draw. Rather than die a slow death, I decided to shoot the moon and blitz France, hoping that England would see a non-boring alternative and join me. He didn't bite, and Italy ended up turning on me as well, so I was pretty well cooked at that point. Frankly, I was a little disappointed that it took another 5 game-years for someone to finally put me out of my misery. ;) Along the way, I tried to feed as much of Germany to Austria. If I wasn't going to be part of a decent end to the game, I at least wanted to try and help one happen.

It was not meant to be. The game ended in a bland, polite, 4-way draw -- the same one I could see forming back in '03, along alliance lines that had been drawn in spring '01 and never changed.
Eleusinian

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (984)
All-game rating: (981)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Foibleson » 13 Mar 2017, 14:30

Yes the Kingmaking of Austria occurred with you as well as Russia, because Russia trusted me on the premise that I needed him (and you) to stick around to keep Austria from soloing. So when I attacked Russia he retaliated by kingmaking (or trying to.)

The four-way draw was not really my end goal, but it's about as good as a three-way draw and playing for a solo given the situation seemed impossible. I also felt I had to reward France for being a good ally, even though, as you pointed out, he seemed to change his mind a lot and often didn't do what was expected.
Foibleson

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)