120813 Mentor game

Discussion of finished games.

120813 Mentor game

Postby kiracofe8 » 06 Oct 2016, 03:04

Thought I would get a thread started for this game. This was my first time playing Diplomacy online and I quite enjoyed it. Thank you to our mentor WHSeward for his very helpful lectures and answering our questions.

Anyone have anything to discuss?
kiracofe8

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: 120813 Mentor game

Postby WHSeward » 06 Oct 2016, 03:59

I'm a bit busy today (Giants in the playoffs!) and tomorrow (49ers on Thursday Nite Football) but I'll add my two cents when I have a bit of time. I encourage all the players to give their own observations. Those will be the most valuable.
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: 120813 Mentor game

Postby kiracofe8 » 08 Oct 2016, 15:30

So the first thing was that at the beginning I thought that Russia's plan to invade Germany was probably not going to succeed, so I attacked Russia thinking I could invade very quickly. But then Germany went NMR, leaving an opening for Russia. Russia picked up some SCs and was able to build, thwarting my hopes of an invasion. To me I think the game would have gone quite differently if Germany had moved in Fall 1901. The balance of power was totally changed.

So several questions for WHSeward: first am I right in thinking that the German NMR had a big impact on the balance of power? And second, how often does this happen? Presumably it happens more often in mentor games and less often in games with more experienced players?

Another question: what do you think about the strategy of Russia attacking Germany at the opening? Everything I've read on strategy seems to suggest that Russia-Austria-Turkey form a triangle, and England-France-Germany form another triangle, and you want to get your side of the board settled before you cross to the other side. So it seemed to me that Russia moving on Germany in 1901 was very premature and unlikely to be a good move. Am I right in that analysis?
kiracofe8

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Return to After Action Reports (AARs)