Elite Championship AAR:110816 PDEC Gold-for all to comment

Discussion of finished games.

Re: Elite Championship AAR:110816 PDEC Gold-for all to comme

Postby I Love Italy » 10 Mar 2016, 07:05

KimberStormer wrote: and people who think you should get more points for coming second than coming third, etc. (In my opinion, the only real flaw in Survivor.)

This is technically a flaw with Survivor, but I don't think I've ever seen it exploited. Even though there is a marginally better payoff for second than third, I've never seen anyone play for second or third, as opposed to first. Survivor tends to stay very competitive, which is what makes it so consistently interesting.

You could make a case for someone like Woo playing for second by taking Tony to the finals, but I think it was less about that, and more that he valued the friendship he'd created during the game over the higher shot at a million dollars. From what I've seen, when players tend to make moves like that, it is more this motivation than wishing to play for second that's in their mind. Although, this doesn't bother me, as I feel it's another factor contributing to winners. Tony didn't win because he backstabbed so many people, and played so aggressively, he won because he played aggressively AND cultivated a strong enough relationship with Woo to get him to the final, AND strong enough relationships with the jury, even though he betrayed most of them, to win the game.

So, from what I've seen, that's not really a flaw in Survivor, although I certainly see how it could be that way.
I have special eyes.
I Love Italy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1041)
All-game rating: (1059)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Carebear » 22 Nov 2016, 23:55

Yeah, it might be a bit late, but I will be reviewing the game and my partially completed AAR to finish and post over the long holiday weekend.
You can have my last supply center, when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Spam Ambassador Wannabe

Officially Sanctioned Site Gadfly (meaning the negative kind of sanction)
Carebear

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1573)
All-game rating: (1589)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby boldblade » 11 Feb 2018, 07:42

I have a few questions:

1 - True or False, is playdip not as great today as it was say.... 2012-2015?

2 - Where are all the promised AARs?

3 - If 1 is true, is this game to blame?

4 - What would Russia think of this?

5 - Yes I am a nobody with zero or next to zero notoriety and am probably undeserving of even having an opinion on this, much less be critical.

6 - Yeah I know 5 wasn't a question and neither is this.
boldblade

Standard rating: (1474)
All-game rating: (1488)
Timezone: GMT

Postby boldblade » 11 Feb 2018, 07:56

PS: I know this is ancient but I spotted the game while browsing one of the participants game history looking for examples of how to do something in another game I am in. I was so shocked by the result that I assumed it had to have been something really weird resulting in the admins stopping the game or something (can't think of a scenario why they would do that but who knows). But Then I dug deeper and found this and... this is even weirder to me than an admin stopping the game for a reason I cannot imagine.
boldblade

Postby gsmx » 17 Feb 2018, 11:29

We're going to treat this game as an anomaly.

PlayDips quality comes and goes. I think we suffered for a while when we had a mass exodus of great players following the total reboot of the rating system back in 2013 or whenever it was and i think the new rating system (prior to the latest fixes) had some flaws that made people not fully invest. We tend to get great excitement around these tournaments, but it soaks up so much attention of the active community that the rest of the public games suffer and then near the end and immediately following we often get a hangover where players need a rest of competitive games.

I don't think this game in question has much impact for how good or bad the community may be at the moment. That tournaments anti-climactic end left a bad taste in some members mouths for a little while after but people got over it before too long and things got back to normal. A year later they rebooted the tournament and people recharged and excited to do it all over again.

I don't think anybody really wanted to do an AAR on a six-way draw because it's not the most exciting thing to go on about. This was probably more a lesson on how better structure and score a tournament.
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx

Standard rating: 2088
All-game rating: 2424

Postby boldblade » 17 Feb 2018, 21:52

I know the game is not responsible for the community. That was mostly said tongue in cheek as a means of taking a further dig at the result. I just still cannot get over it. Glad that this year's top board looks to be going a different direction.
boldblade

Postby gsmx » 17 Feb 2018, 22:33

In that case carry on, this six-some has well earned ridicule over this game until the end of time.
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx

Standard rating: 2088
All-game rating: 2424

Postby boldblade » 22 Feb 2018, 01:43

lol
boldblade