Heptarchy: trial of Anglia in Flanders: Analysis

British Isles based variant starting in 651. Created by Geoff Bache. Brought to site by sroca. {Final Map Visible in Game 8}
Enjoyment rating: :D :D :D :D

Re: Heptarchy: trial of Anglia in : 3 more volunteers wanted

Postby Pedros » 03 Aug 2012, 11:29

Thanks Girion. Just two more then.

Well spotted re Wales. Don't know how that crept in - must have been in whichever previous map I modified and I didn't spot it. No, army in Clwyd. (Incidentally, since Clwyd is a SC it should really have a town's name not a region's. Clwyd was my name originally - in the original version is was "Lla", which doesn't relate to anywhere of any size in the territory. Wrexham's probably biggest, so I think I'll change that at the same time if nobody objects!)

Timing's not a problm. As I said I won't be enforcing strict deadlines, though I'll send out my usual reminders (I'll list those before we start for those that haven't played with me before). And if the starting time is inconvenient it can always be held up for a few days. Anyway, the number of rules questions flying around VR it could be weeks before it's ready to go!!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Heptarchy: trial of Anglia in : 2more volunteers wanted

Postby Yhanthlei » 04 Aug 2012, 11:13

I'm willing to give it a go as Mercia. For clarification, is this running for the full duration or for a year or two?
Anglia in Heptarchy test game A
Yhanthlei

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Heptarchy: trial of Anglia in : 2more volunteers wanted

Postby Pedros » 04 Aug 2012, 14:27

Just two years Yhanthlei. May finish earlier if we decide that the value of this change is clear; unlikely to be longer.

And thanks for signing. Just need a Wales now.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Re: Heptarchy: trial of Anglia in : 1 more volunteers wanted

Postby Pedros » 06 Aug 2012, 10:24

I don't really want to be arguing for Wales as well as Scotland and Ireland, but I might finish up having to if we don't get another volunteer soon!
Pedros

Postby Girion » 06 Aug 2012, 12:33

Also Pedros, if I understand it correctly, you will be playing as both Ireland and Scottland, independetly, so there's no problem for me to lay out my Scottland invasion plan to Ireland, right?
Girion

Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Pedros » 06 Aug 2012, 13:43

Right on. I shall be negotiating hard with myself!
Pedros

List now full, game starts shortly

Postby Pedros » 07 Aug 2012, 12:30

Dar Krum, himself an ex-Anglia player, has agreed to take on Wales for this trial. That means we have a full squad and can start shortly.
Pedros

General briefing before the test game

Postby Pedros » 07 Aug 2012, 13:09

Just a reminder of how we're running this one and what we're looking for.

Firstly, I'll set usual deadlines of 3-1-1 and send reminders 24 hours before movement deadlines, together with a separate note (BCC) to those players who haven't yet submitted orders (just like my regular games), but I WON'T be declaring NMRs or processing before I have a full set of orders; that would defeat the purpose of the test. But it would help to keep the game moving if you can try to meet the deadlines. I expect the trial to last for two game years only - by then the results of the initial negotiations should have become clear.

Secondly, the PURPOSE of the trial. We felt that in most games Mercia seemed too strong versus most other powers, whereas Anglia tends to be a whipping boy too often. At the same time, Northumbria, whilst it can usually survive fairly well, seemed to have few real opportunities in the game. We have altered Northumbria's starting position to three armies, which certainly gave it additional leverage in Test Game A (in Active Games). Here we are continuing that, but we have also altered Anglia's starting position so that its starting unit in Oxford becomes a fleet in Flanders. (The Oxford SC will still be a home centre for Anglia once it is captured.)

So we hope to learn whether Anglia is in a decent negotiating position in this setup, both with Mercia and Cornubia. Anglia is being played by Girion, who felt most strongly that this might be the most appropriate improvement to make; his job is to sell the advantages of an alliance with Anglia to both Cornubia and Mercia, and to report back whether he felt he had strong arguments, and whether he felt they made any impact. Cornubia and Mercia for their part will need to negotiate hard with Anglia especially, and report back about whether the arguments were convincing and why they did, or didn't, choose to ally with Anglia. Obviously, they all will be negoatiating with everybody else as well.

Finally, I am playing both Scotland and Ireland as well as GMing. I will follow my usual practice of not looking at any orders until I'm ready to process them all. Scotland and Ireland will be fairly peripheral to the interest of the trial, although I will attempt to influence the other powers who are my neighbours, which may affect things in the south east. But that's what happens anyway!

Thanks everybody for helping with this. When we've worked out what seems the best formation you all get first refusal at the next full game!
Pedros

Trial starts

Postby Pedros » 08 Aug 2012, 14:26

We're now under way, with the first soft deadline at 1300 BST on Monday 13 August.
Pedros

Rhttpe: Heptarchy: trial of Anglia in : 1 more volunteers wa

Postby Girion » 10 Aug 2012, 11:31

We'll be travelling for some time now, leaving now and will be back abou 22.00 Saturday (GMT+1). In case I don't answer your messages you know.
Girion

Timezone: GMT+1

PreviousNext

Return to Heptarchy [Games 1-15] {Maps Visible in Games 9+}