AARs

In this game players have a different country on each board. GM: Pedros. Result: DIAS {Green (connect4), Yellow (Diadem), Grey (mr bump), White (backpackerallan) and Blue (Shibabalo)}

AARs

Postby Pedros » 09 Apr 2013, 19:09

Congratulations to Green (connect4), Yellow (Diadem), Grey (mr bump), White (backpackerallan) and Blue (Shibabalo). In my view that was an honourable draw. A clear solo threat from a strong Green who started well and never looked back, until the defence got itself together and fought back well. To an outsider at least, that ending to a game is enjoyable to watch.

I know that some of the players in Layered 1 felt it was rather boring; to me, this one certainly wasn't (I wasn't bored when playing Game 1 though!) The staggered start made a big difference. Perhaps the experiment of conducting two Blind Auctions at once wasn't fair - probably another time I'd run one after the other. But a very good game, and for once without too many NMRs. Thanks; as you'll have gathered, I at least enjoyed it - though trying to juggle two maps in my head was a total GM's nightmare!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: AARs

Postby GhostEcho » 09 Apr 2013, 19:37

I'll just mention something here quickly, since I lost out fast: despite (I think) making the initial suggestion to stagger countries, I was not at all prepared for the aggressive way in which some players took advantage of the possibilities of the map(s). I had in mind a rather tame (in retrospect) foray whereby I expanded as normal, but would pick off Warsaw (the one that wasn't mine) in the Fall... then I got jumped. The rest was mostly running around trying to survive: I admit my diplomacy fell off considerably and quickly. I think I'd like to try again sometime, though.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1008
All-game rating: 969
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Shibabalo » 14 Apr 2013, 01:52

It was a fun game, although to be honest I think I would prefer Layered without the Staggered. The sheer capacity people had to spontaneously maul others almost defined the early game.

Regarding my personal experience: I focused my early efforts talking with Yellow and Purple; we formed a triangle of countries. The idea of a triple-alliance was proposed, which I would have gone with, had not Yellow attacked us both the first turn. I managed to convince Yellow to withdraw from Ankara; he didn't want two enemies, after all, and started off with a basically peace year.

I waited out the second year before really committing; I decided to launch an invasion of Purple (instead of Yellow) the third year because Yellow seemed to be winning. Things were going well... until I NMRed my three builds. That's when things started to go downhill. I was attacked by virtually everyone on the map, despite several diplomatic attempts. I just did what I could to protect myself, until I was offered an olive branch by Yellow, who coordinated the coalition against Green. After that, I basically just did what Yellow suggested, and it resulted in this lovely draw.
SOLO- Baltic, Double Diplomacy
Draw- Layered, Dip Lite, 1700, Zeus, Simple, 1900 S&S
Loss- Some games

Classicist, Whippersnapper, Swag Bagel
Shibabalo

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (950)
All-game rating: (1222)

Postby backpackerallan » 19 Apr 2013, 19:25

Ok sorry about how late this is. I was looking at other AARs and some have every map pasted into a forum nad some just have a paragraph so i am going with the paragraph.

From the get go i had an peace with green and grey. to keep my home centers safe. For a while that worked and working with grey made that into an alliance. about that time i attacked blue in Germany. That is where things went downhill for me. I pushed and pushed into Scandinavia and Germany and left my home centers open. That is where i screwed up and green took full advantage of that. I let him slip into my centers and thus the anti green alliance started. The only hard part was getting grey and yellow to work together. I had a peace with yellow for a while and i really thought yellow and grey were going to smash me between themselves after i lost England. but green moved too fast and they knew that and started the alliance. I still cant believe i NMR'ed i am still pissed at myself that i allowed that to happen. something a classicist shouldn't let happen. I think that staggered was great but they need to be set countries don't let England be with France spread them out more and that will slow down those fast deconstructions and really make diplomacy important. like france and russia and turkey and germany... i dont know but it could easilly be looked at and decided.

All in all a great game and a wonderful first GMed game for me. it was great. It took me a while to get used to it because i am used to messages in game and had to get used to the Forum way of doing things.
When all else fails... Mutiny!
backpackerallan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1040)
All-game rating: (961)

Return to Game 2 (Countries Staggered)