Layered Diplomacy : STARTING ON SATURDAY

In this game players have a different country on each board. GM: Pedros. Result: DIAS {Green (connect4), Yellow (Diadem), Grey (mr bump), White (backpackerallan) and Blue (Shibabalo)}

Re: Layered Diplomacy

Postby connect4 » 31 Dec 2012, 01:26

If this starts after January 5 (auction ok before then) I can bump up to playing. Why not? :)

Can handle 2 or 3 layers. Would prefer a shift variant but will take anything.
connect4

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 31 Dec 2012, 12:45

Thanks both of you. When asudevil and I talked about it we couldn't see how it would work. I haven't detected a lot of support for a shift, but if there was then I'd look again at it.

asudevil's suggestion was to shift just one layer connect4; is that what you intended? It won't start this week, so I'll move you up to Player.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby GhostEcho » 31 Dec 2012, 20:58

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "shift". It seems like it would make sense to play two layers, with one player controlling different countries on each layer, but if you're talking something like Shift Right/Left variants that would be messy. Of course, all the other proposals are even more complicated!
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1008
All-game rating: 969

Postby diplomat42 » 31 Dec 2012, 23:35

GhostEcho wrote:I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "shift". It seems like it would make sense to play two layers, with one player controlling different countries on each layer, but if you're talking something like Shift Right/Left variants that would be messy. Of course, all the other proposals are even more complicated!

That would be awesome--2 separate blind auctions for each layer...
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby mr bump » 01 Jan 2013, 04:18

It looks as though we've got 7 players so we are ready to.

I seem to be the only potential player that has not indicated their preference, so just for the record;

My preference is 3 layer dip.

The 1st layer should be FOW, random country assignments, the map rotated through 90 degrees, orders have to be written out in triplicate, be grammatically correct and sent to the GM on a postcards. There will be no excuse for the post being late as far as NMR's are concerned.

The second,or middle layer, should be made of sponge and strawberry jam. Cut into 2 equal pieces North to South. The West half being inverted every 3 years and all units fall into the 1st layer.(sumbarines are also allowed)

The 3rd, or top layer. Moves are written in reverse order. i.e. F.North Sea moves Edinburgh means F.Edinburgh moves North Sea. Every year the GM will pick his favourite move as "The move of the year" and all other players must send a congratulatory message.

All countries can choose their colour except Italy who will be Pink.

I don't want to play 7 layer dip

P.S. I may have been drinking, Goodnight and a happy new year.
mr bump

Veni, vidi, percussit.
mr bump

Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (873)

Postby Pedros » 01 Jan 2013, 11:37

Well, I'll note you down as 3-layer mr bump, but your other suggestions aren't on offer!

There's still a decision to be made between this one and Indians, but ho[efully we'll get that sorted soon.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby Pedros » 01 Jan 2013, 11:53

GhostEcho wrote:I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "shift". It seems like it would make sense to play two layers, with one player controlling different countries on each layer, but if you're talking something like Shift Right/Left variants that would be messy. Of course, all the other proposals are even more complicated!

Well, the Shifts are intended to be messy! That was asudevil's original suggestion, but I don't think it works, because everyone would actually be able to build from the start in their country on the "home" (ie not shifted) board and just invade the other one.

However, the idea of controlling different countries on each board is very interesting. I think each player would have to choose a colour so that it's clear, rather than playing a different colour on each board (you clever **** might be able to manage that, but it would do my head in!) (and, of course, nobody could have the same country on each board.) And the auctions would have to be simultaneous. Home SCs would be coloured for the home player, which should help later in the game.

I'm going to go for this one if we do play Layered (which I'm inclining towards, since both games are ready to go and I'm getting keen on this one!) I will PM everybody and ask them to let me know how they would view this. Here is how it would work:-

1. Each player chooses a colour from the list I will produce, first come first served.
  2. There will then be two simultaneous blind auctions, one for each board.
  3. When the auction finishes, board one will be judged first. When that is resolved, board two will be judged, but before it is, each player's bid for the country gained in board one will be deleted and ignored in the judging

Do let me know if I've missed anything crucial there - but unless I have, I'm probably not open to modifying it!
Pedros

Postby connect4 » 01 Jan 2013, 14:53

Orange for me, and that is perfect!

Happy new year to all!
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)

Postby backpackerallan » 01 Jan 2013, 15:08

a reply from the message you sent me (pedros)
Yes, i want to play and id like 2 layer, This is my first forum game and movement form the two layers doesnt seem tricky and with the single color its fine, it will just be like a chaos game on layer two, just with a nice collection of sc's on the second layer.
When all else fails... Mutiny!
backpackerallan

Standard rating: (1040)
All-game rating: (961)

Postby Diadem » 01 Jan 2013, 16:21

I'm somewhat conflicted about this moving forward, since it means Indians won't. And now that you guys decided to go different countries on each layer, this actually sounds like fun.

Write me down as a reserve.
Draw in Diplomacy Stew 2, playing Italy
Winner Four Seasons, playing England
Draw in Layered, playing Yellow (Russia + Turkey)
Winner Shuffle, playing Turkey
Winner Vain Rats 4, playing France

... but first you must learn how to smile as you kill.
Diadem

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1001)
Timezone: GMT+1

PreviousNext

Return to Game 2 (Countries Staggered)