The Haven Project, Rules

Fog of War game. GM: UpQuark. Result amended to "No result"

Re: The Haven Project, FULL; reserves still wanted (19/19)

Postby BlueBorjigin » 17 Dec 2012, 00:23

UpQuark wrote:
AardvarkArmy wrote: 1) Faeries can fly; ok- the rules clearly discuss what they CANNOT do while flying - all those limitations when flying over water... but don't seem to really say what a flying faerie CAN do, when flying over land. Do they move multiple spaces? move over other units? exist in same space with other units? what does a flying faerie do?

1) Faeries walk when on land. What is the point of flying? They just can't swim. And they spend all their energy flapping their wings over water, so can't do anything else. And they tire in 2 turns and drop into the sea and are drowned...

In their defense, that's an entire YEAR of flying. I'm sure it's understandable that that much flapping just can't be maintained.
UpQuark wrote:But they cannot land on a fleet at sea (before someone asks) - their wings would get caught up in the rigging and they would fall into the sea... and drown of course.

UpQuark, your undoubtedly have the best and most infallible justifications ever.
BlueBorjigin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1160)
All-game rating: (1177)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Diadem » 19 Dec 2012, 21:32

Are faeries allowed to build fleets? And if so, can their fleets fly over land?
Draw in Diplomacy Stew 2, playing Italy
Winner Four Seasons, playing England
Draw in Layered, playing Yellow (Russia + Turkey)
Winner Shuffle, playing Turkey
Winner Vain Rats 4, playing France

... but first you must learn how to smile as you kill.
Diadem

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1001)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby joelsdaman1 » 19 Dec 2012, 21:48

Four abilities confuse me:

Can the pirates rebuild their fleets any turn or only in winter?
The barbarians' abilities are a tad unclear. Do they sense everything within two spaces, or only if a unit heads in their direction?
Can only Leprechaun armies go over the rainbow, or any unit?
Can the Nomads build on their original starting centers? Because it says originally neutral, but I'm not sure.
How is an atomic wedgie different from a regular wedgie?

Let's find out.
joelsdaman1

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (796)
All-game rating: (795)

Postby UpQuark » 19 Dec 2012, 21:51

Diadem wrote:Are faeries allowed to build fleets? And if so, can their fleets fly over land?

All races may build Fleets, including Faeries.

Faerie fleets do not fly. Ships don't have wings. None of the other races' fleets fly either. Remember that there is river movement in this game, and the map is full of rivers - so Fleets can penetrate to most of the provinces on the map (treated like a "coastal" province).

Other Fleet clarifications

Elven Fleets do not hide (only the Elf Armies can hide in the trees).

Archer Fleets MAY use the ranged attack option (range is 1 - this is simply an attack in which the attacker does not advance following success).

Barbarian Fleets DO have the "sense", but Barbarians can ONLY sense ARMIES - not Fleets, even if they are approaching up a river. I told asudevil the opposite (that fleets could not sense but armies could sense fleets), which was incorrect.

Rogues can disguise Fleets as well as armies.
practically massless elementary particle
UpQuark

Standard rating: (986)
All-game rating: (898)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby UpQuark » 19 Dec 2012, 21:56

joelsdaman1 wrote:Four abilities confuse me:

Can the pirates rebuild their fleets any turn or only in winter?
The barbarians' abilities are a tad unclear. Do they sense everything within two spaces, or only if a unit heads in their direction?
Can only Leprechaun armies go over the rainbow, or any unit?
Can the Nomads build on their original starting centers? Because it says originally neutral, but I'm not sure.

Pirates only build in the Winter. Only Trolls have an exception on building, when resurrecting a dead troll. Anyone interested in Trolls should read this section carefully.

Barbarian sense works at a range of 2 spaces - any enemy ARMY (not fleet) within 2 spaces will trigger a warning - which will spell out the number of enemy armies and direction. If, due to other units' visibility into the fog, a Barbarian can SEE the unit, you will not get a warning. This is designed to inform you about enemy armies in the fog.

Only Leprechaun armies can jump over the rainbow. That is their special gift.

Nomads may build on their own Home SCs as well as any other SC on the map which is not an original home SC for some other race ("originally neutral"). This includes the 12 Eternal Build SCs on which any race may also build (if they control it, of course).
Last edited by UpQuark on 21 Dec 2012, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.
UpQuark

Postby Diadem » 19 Dec 2012, 22:24

Ok I'm going to post a big list of questions. I hope that's ok. Some may be obvious, but I always prefer being certain over being almost certain.

1. Deadlines are 4/2/2 – 4 days for turns, and 2 each for Retreats and Builds.
2. Note that all deadlines will be at the same time of day – 2300 UTC.

Does does this mean deadlines are effectively 3-4/1-2/1-2 or 4-5/2-3/2-3. If you post the fall turn on Monday 12:00 UTC, are builds due Tuesday 23:00 UTC or Wednesday 23:00 UTC?

7. Other than an NMR on the first turn, I will allow a grace period of 1 day for an NMR’ing player to submit orders (and I will send a note regarding the NMR). Any player wishing to change their orders during another player’s grace period may do so at the cost of one of their 2 NMR allowances. This additional time is used in an attempt to prevent CD if possible.

How is this counted? If I submit orders 2 minutes after the deadline, before you adjudicate them, will you count them as late? Or will you only count them as late if you have to send in a reminder?

10. GM impersonation is forbidden. Any attempt to forward GM communications with attribution to the GM (quotes or forwarded communications, or any attempt to refer to the GM in order to substantiate any claim made from one player to another) is forbidden and will result in punishment.

Does this mean I'm not even allowed to inform another player about the rules? Imagine I'm faerie, I'm trying to do diplomacy with someone. That person is afraid I may attack him with my faerie over water. So I say to him: "No. I can't. This is what UpQuark said about it: 'The faerie must fly to a safe spot to land within 2 turns of flying over water. It can be supported into a space on land - but with an offensive capacity of 0 would require at least 2 supports against any opposition'. So I can't attack you from sea".
As written, that would result in punishment. But that seems a bit harsh.

By the way: Nowhere in the faerie description does it say that they have attack strength 0 when trying to land. You may want to update their description!

You can see the spaces that your units are on, plus every adjacent space to your units.
(...) If you can see a space after an adjudication, you will learn a lot about that space

It's not entirely clear to me how that works. If I succesfully move WMO - EMO (in the centre of the map), I'll be able to see everything that borders EMO. So RUG and NMO an WMO. But will I also be able to see what borders WMO, such as TIL?

If you order a unit to Hold or stand, you will see all the activity that happens in or to the spaces you are adjacent to.

ALL adjacent tiles? Not just the ones you can move to? So armies would see sea action?

Furthermore, what will a convoying fleet see? And I order A Lon - Hol, but the convoy is dislodged and thus fails, will I still get information about Hol?

• Archers

Can you support a unit using the archery ability to hold? So for example F Pry RA Dry, A Lox S F Pry H.

• Leprechauns
Somewhere... Over the Rainbow, you never know what you'll find. Perhaps a pot of gold, or maybe a band of ogres -- but the leprechauns can choose to find out. In the Spring, one Leprechaun may choose to order over the rainbow (OTR). If he does, the GM will randomly select one of the 89 clear spaces on the map.

Can both armies and fleets do this? I assume armies will only land in land spaces? But fleets, will they always land in open ocean, or coastal, or both?

Any time a Troll Army is disbanded, as soon as the space that it was disbanded in becomes vacant, and if there is sufficient supply, the Troll may return to life (no wait for winter).

How does this interact with the archer? If the archer shoots and dislodges a troll unit, can it choose to disband instead of withdraw, then immediately return to life (since the province is vacant).

• Undead

You can both raise enemy units and build them in your home supply centres. Ok. Are all Undead units considered skeletons? Or does he have normal units too? And is there any limit on the number of skeletons raised? This sounds like you can build 3 new skeletons every turn regardless of supply. He'll overrun the entire board pretty quickly!

That's it for now. More questions later, no doubt.
Draw in Diplomacy Stew 2, playing Italy
Winner Four Seasons, playing England
Draw in Layered, playing Yellow (Russia + Turkey)
Winner Shuffle, playing Turkey
Winner Vain Rats 4, playing France

... but first you must learn how to smile as you kill.
Diadem

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1001)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby asudevil » 20 Dec 2012, 00:20

Love that whole List Diadem...a couple I think I know...but I want to hear the official word....and many I didn't even think of so I LOVE you brought them up early

Also, can an Archer fleet shoot to a space it can't move...it specifically says armies can...but can fleets as well
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)

Postby UpQuark » 20 Dec 2012, 04:24

Refer for these answers to the new Rules Addenda topic.

New questions regarding rule clarification may be added to that topic, and we will keep a running tally of these clarifications at the top of the topic.
UpQuark

Re: The Haven Project, open (18/19)

Postby Bob.Durf » 20 Dec 2012, 05:30

attitudes wrote:It's an all-star lineup all around.

I'm a dim star for sure...posting for awareness :)
Cheater-Hunter (Fired on account of incompetence according to top secret reports)

There's a saying amongst the moderators: "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well. If it's not worth doing, give it to Bob." Promotion prospects: Comical
Bob.Durf

Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (969)

Postby cyanide martini » 22 Dec 2012, 19:45

asudevil wrote:
And the second part I think is just the fact that they are amphibious...so they can get places that they couldn't of.

So they can get places that they couldn't have...Never "couldn't of" anything. :) :ugeek:

cyanide martini
Care for a drink?

Խչպⵓⵇⵚⵟ ⵀⴷշվፍሉ ሪႿփ ጆናጣንႥ՞ჱჵ。
cyanide martini

Standard rating: (913)
All-game rating: (1162)

Previous

Return to Game 2