Heptarchy 8 AAR

Start positions modified (Anglia, Nortumbria have 3 armies each). GM: attitudes. Winner: Pedros (Anglia)

Heptarchy 8 AAR

Postby attitudes » 11 Apr 2013, 22:26

Game ended in a SOLO victory for Anglia. Congratulations to Pedros.

Feel free to comment on the game.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Be careful when you blindly follow the masses. Sometimes, the M is silent.

on indefinite hiatus
attitudes

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Heptarchy 8 AAR

Postby Zadaron » 11 Apr 2013, 22:32

Congratulations Pedros!
Genghis Khan wrote:The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters
Zadaron

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (991)
All-game rating: (1416)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby joelsdaman1 » 11 Apr 2013, 22:35

I played terribly... :oops:

Oh well, fun game regardless!

Thanks for the great GM'ing, attitudes :)
How is an atomic wedgie different from a regular wedgie?

Let's find out.
joelsdaman1

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (796)
All-game rating: (795)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby presser84 » 13 Apr 2013, 01:22

Re: Heptarchy - welcome!
Sent: 11 Apr 2013, 13:54
by presser84

not a lot to talk about...hit the big guy until our arms are tired!

**unless you're the big guy I hadn't looked...in which case ignore my last statement

Heptarchy - welcome!
Sent: 11 Apr 2013, 04:57
by Pedros

Well, if I'd known you were going to finish up down there ...!

Critical moment, so welcome. Not sure that we have a lot to talk about otherwise, but let battle commence!
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 15 Apr 2013, 18:41

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get to this!

This was really too easy! As a test for the idea of Anglia starting with 3 armies, it was a non-starter. Mercia screwed up badly in Spring Year 1, Cornubia played right into my hands in the biggest way possible, and I couldn't believe how long Northumbria took before he rallied the troops against me.

I persuaded Mercia that I would honour a DMZ in Warwick, but that doesn't justify his opening Gloucester - Gwent. That has absolutely no advantage over Glouceser - Severn, and the huge disadvantage that it takes all the pressure off Cornubia's Bristol. At least in Severn then Mercia has a negotiating and pressure point over Cornubia's next move; in the event I helped Cornubia into Gloucester and we made very rapid mincemeat of Mercia between us.

Ireland began making moves into the South West. I had early decided that the biggest threat to me (once I'd avoided a Mercia-Cornubia alliance) would come from sea raids, and with Cornubia's agreement I sent two fleets to help block the invasion. That was totally genuine - Cornubia would have been in trouble without that help, and I would probably have suffered next. I was, obviously, aware that those two fleets would be extremely useful later in the game!

From this point on I was essentially writing Cornubia's orders. No problem, and I played it straight up, until I had successfully invaded North Wales and could see 19 in sight (actually, victory ought to be 20, as I pointed out mid-game to attitudes - there are 38 SCs, not the 37 which Geoff Bache the designer somehow counted!) I was able to move strongly, despite a ridiculous double order which cost me one advance.

The ending was messy as Northumbria especially played his hand well, though too late. One problem I hadn't envisaged was the length of Anglia's supply lines. Especially while the area around Oxford is still embattled, so there is no chance of a build there, it takes a long time to get troops up to the Northumbrian border (the line, famous from old British weather forecasts, from the Mersey to the Wash! - I liked that bit!) and also Westwards.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Game 8