What should Turkey do with the army in Damascus?

Strategy discussions for the 1900 variant.
Forum rules
trategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not seek advice about an active game they are in.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

What should Turkey do with the army in Damascus?

Postby luckythirteen » 12 Jul 2013, 07:14

I recently finished my first game of 1900 as Turkey. One of the more interesting conundrums that I had was what to do with the army in Damascus. I had a few ideas:

1. Damascus - Konya. This seems like the "safe" option but is very boring and frankly, feels inefficient. There are very good odds that Konya will have to sit and hold or offer a meaningless support in the fall. The plus side is that you have more protection if Russia and/or Austria open against you.

2. Damascus - Armenia. As the Turkish player, I really liked the idea of this opening. At first glance it's anti-Russian, but if you don't move to the Black Sea you could actually work together with Russia. In my last game I pitched the following opening to the Tsar:

Turkey:
CON - MAC
ANK - CON
DAM - ARM

Russia:
WAR - GAL
MOS - UKR
SEV - BLA

In the fall, Russia convoys Armenia to Bulgaria resulting in the R/T having superiority in the region because the armies are a lot more dangerous to Austria than the fleets. There is risk for both players so it's definitely a gambit. I am not so sure the risk is worth the reward. The Russian in my game certainly did not think so!

The plus for Turkey is that it leaves room to work with both Austria and Russia.

3. Damascus - Palestine (arranged bounce). This opening allows Turkey to influence England similarly to how Germany can influence Russia in classic Diplomacy. In my game, I wanted to occupy the English fleet in Egypt to relieve pressure on France so I arranged a bounce. I really liked the bounce because it occupied the fleet, but didn't move my army out of position if Russia or Austria attacked.

The downside is that if England does not follow through with the bounce (or worse, coordinates with Russia), Turkey will be extremely vulnerable to an attack.

That being said, I think that if I did not suspect Russia and were playing Turkey again, I would probably take the risk and work for the bounce. I like the bounce better than trying to sneak into Palestine.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about what to do with this unit?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

--Aristotle
luckythirteen

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (956)
All-game rating: (1007)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: What should Turkey do with the army in Damascus?

Postby NiccolosApprentice » 30 Jul 2015, 04:49

The Turkish unit in Damascusis one of the best improvements in the game. It simulates the Turkish weakness in Europe compared to the other great powers. But keeps Turkey playable by offering possibilities in Africa.

I strongly believe that the move to Konya is useless. It accomplishes nothing and guards against nothing. You don't need to worry about Turkish home centres if Turkey sails to the Black Sea, which I believe Turkey needs to do 99 times out of 100.

I'm also a fan of the move to Macedonia. You can't force Bulgaria. Unless you give up the black. Better to negotiate with Russia and Austria and let one of them take it.

Diplomacy will dictate the rest. If you are comfortable opening with obvious hostilities a move to Armenia will ensure Russia is busy dealing with you. Especially if your move to the Black Sea succeeds. More often it will bounce and you are stuck playing a guessing game for Sevastopol.

A move to Palestine also makes sense. Many British move to the MAO. You are in a great position then. Less great if the British keep the fleet somewhere in the eastern med. Worse if you told the British that you would agree to a DMZ in Palestine.

If you believe in keeping your word, and don't want to be to aggressive on your first move I am a proponent of the move to Arabia, if the British agree to a DMZ in Palestine and believe that they will stay in the Eastern Mediterranean area. Britain is unlikely to be upset because you kept your word, and you are free to move back to Damascus, if Albion was perfidious; or onto hedjaz.
In short, if you are playing me and I'm Turkey:
1) Britain does not ask for a DMZ in Palestine; or asks and diplomacy indicates the fleet is sailing to MAO. Palestine.
2) I will only move to Armenia if Austria promises me that he will support me into Sevastopol if I leave him Rumania and Bulgaria.
3) Arabia every other time.

P.S. A small corner piece of the map will turn light blue, and even if you lose and are eliminated it is likely that Arabia will always be light blue.
NiccolosApprentice

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (924)
All-game rating: (1076)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Hindu Warrior » 18 Jan 2016, 19:58

NiccolosApprentice wrote:I strongly believe that the move to Konya is useless. It accomplishes nothing and guards against nothing. You don't need to worry about Turkish home centres if Turkey sails to the Black Sea, which I believe Turkey needs to do 99 times out of 100.

Dear Noccolo,

Can you suggest me the source / Links for openings in 1900 variant .

I am playing Gunboat 1900 as Turkey . Need Immediate assistance .
HW
Hindu Warrior

Standard rating: (830)
All-game rating: (965)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NiccolosApprentice » 13 Jun 2016, 18:42

Sorry I was away from the site much of the year,

Here is a very descriptive, and instructional link. I think it should be mandatory reading for those playin 1900

http://diplom.org/Online/variants/1900-GG.pdf
NiccolosApprentice

Standard rating: (924)
All-game rating: (1076)
Timezone: GMT-7

Return to 1900 Strategy