Is Aincent med too naval?

Strategy discussions for the Ancient Med variant.
Forum rules
trategy
In addition to the general Forum Guidelines (see here: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/view ... 30&t=15441), there are additional rules for posting in this forum.
1. Members should not seek advice about an active game they are in.
2. It follows that links, images, game name and/or number should not be added to a post if the game is active.
Posts which refer to a specific situation in an active game, or which link directly to an active game, are subject to editing or removal.

Re: Is Aincent med too naval?

Postby Pedros » 12 Dec 2012, 01:23

No, that isn't the argument at all. That wouldn't go against that definition of a stalemate line.

There may be other ways here, but the one I can see is for Rome to work a fleet into Byzantium (tricky one, but it can be done) and then move itinto Black Sea. That destroys Persia's position in that corner completely. I wouldn't have spotted this so quickly if I hadn' recently played a game of Age of Empires (therefore Build Anywhere); Persia built a fleet in Sinope and then into Black, which destroyed Greece quite quickly.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pedros » 12 Dec 2012, 01:27

No, that isn't the argument at all. That wouldn't go against that definition of a stalemate line.

There may be other ways here, but the one I can see is for Rome to work a fleet into Byzantium (tricky one, but it can be done) and then move itinto Black Sea. That destroys Persia's position in that corner completely. I wouldn't have spotted this so quickly if I hadn' recently played a game of Age of Empires (therefore Build Anywhere); Persia built a fleet in Sinope and then into Black, which destroyed Greece quite quickly. (I'm writing up a report of the breach of the "stalemate" line in that one, which involves similar techniques - twice in fact.

As the position stands jaelis's solution would also work - just attack Crete and Alexandria in (random) turns and wait until the east guesses wrongly. If there was a fleet in Miletus there wouldbe a chance to dislodge Aegean on the first move which would make the southern position solid.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby Pedros » 12 Dec 2012, 01:31

Going back to the original point, I grant that fleets play a very big role in Ancient Med, though not as big as was claimed (that's one reason I like it - I've always loved playing with fleets in Regular - especially around Gibraltar). If you're playing Carthage then it' probably easy to feel the game's all about fleets. Less so for Egypt, and if you're in the north there is definitely a very big army element. The battle for Asia Minor and around the Black Sea is one of the key parts of the game.
Pedros

Postby diplomat42 » 12 Dec 2012, 02:26

Well...it's more naval than Regular!

And I enjoy it.

Stalemates? No worse than regular.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby jkid » 12 Dec 2012, 03:34

jaelis wrote:
Petunia wrote:Which is the side that could break through?

It looks to me like Carthage can break through in the south. The fleet in Egyptian Sea must support Crete, so Sinai and Pelusium must support Alexandria. (Support from Thebes could be cut.) But that leaves Thebes with no support.

(I trust that this is not a current game!)

This is wrong, though. Alexandria only needs 1 support as it is only bordered by 2 enemy units. Therefore, Pelusium can support it to hold while Sinai supports Thebes to hold, and that won't be broken even when the cows come home unless a player turns traitor.
Member of the Swag Bagels.
jkid

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1016
All-game rating: 974
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby diplomat42 » 12 Dec 2012, 03:52

jkid wrote:
jaelis wrote:
Petunia wrote:Which is the side that could break through?

It looks to me like Carthage can break through in the south. The fleet in Egyptian Sea must support Crete, so Sinai and Pelusium must support Alexandria. (Support from Thebes could be cut.) But that leaves Thebes with no support.

(I trust that this is not a current game!)

This is wrong, though. Alexandria only needs 1 support as it is only bordered by 2 enemy units. Therefore, Pelusium can support it to hold while Sinai supports Thebes to hold, and that won't be broken even when the cows come home unless a player turns traitor.

Nope!
Libyan Sea, Cyrene, Memphis.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby jkid » 12 Dec 2012, 04:30

diplomat42 wrote:Nope!
Libyan Sea, Cyrene, Memphis.

Ah. I forgot Libyan Sea. Nevermind, then!
jkid

Postby jaelis » 12 Dec 2012, 04:33

That said, it looks like the army in Isauria and the fleet in Cilician Strait are superfluous. If you removed one of them and added a fleet in the Reed Sea, then you would have a bona fide stalemate line. Contrary to Pedros's claim, I don't think it is possible for Carthage or Rome to maneuver a fleet into the Black Sea from here, since they cannot capture Byzantium.
jaelis

Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)

Postby jkid » 12 Dec 2012, 05:28

jaelis wrote:That said, it looks like the army in Isauria and the fleet in Cilician Strait are superfluous. If you removed one of them and added a fleet in the Reed Sea, then you would have a bona fide stalemate line. Contrary to Pedros's claim, I don't think it is possible for Carthage or Rome to maneuver a fleet into the Black Sea from here, since they cannot capture Byzantium.

I agree. I don't see a way to take Byzantium with 3 units when he has 2 supporting it to hold, and if you cut the support of the only one you can, you can only attack with 2 units.
jkid

Postby Petunia » 12 Dec 2012, 20:38

Huh. We played that turn like 4 times. I'm surprised jaelis' solution didn't come up.

I agree that the Byzantium idea is a non-starter.

And no, it's not an active game - we drew from that position.
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

PreviousNext

Return to Ancient Mediterranean Strategy