AARs

6-player African variant starting in 2000. Created by Phil Reynold. Brought to site by sroca. GM: Pedros. Winner: diplomat42 (South Africa)

AARs

Postby Pedros » 24 Jan 2013, 07:25

Victory to diplomat42's South Africa. With a remarkable number of NMRs it was scarcely a classic, but it will be interesting to hear what the players have to say about it, especially whether there were serious attempts made to hold the southerners off.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: AARs

Postby asudevil » 24 Jan 2013, 07:30

No real comments...I went guerrilla warfare at the end and would have had a chance to keep one unit and annoy the hell out of South Africa at least tying up units.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Caladin » 24 Jan 2013, 11:20

I was, unfortunately, too busy dealing with the Libyans to attempt to halt the South.

I spent my entire game attempting to slow down my decline.
Caladin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (973)
All-game rating: (1300)
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby diplomat42 » 24 Jan 2013, 15:52

I got an alliance with the Saudis, moved north, kept things at least peaceful with everyone until they were next, and waited for the competition to NMR.
Not complicated!
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Pedros » 24 Jan 2013, 16:36

Well - your alliance certainly worked well. They just stayed out of the way waiting for you to overcome them!!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby diplomat42 » 24 Jan 2013, 19:11

I assume the alliance disappeared after they rejected the first solo concession.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)

GM's AAR

Postby Pedros » 25 Jan 2013, 16:39

I was waiting until the Star Ratings were in before adding anything, because I felt anything I said might influence player views.

It's difficult to assess the map in a game with so many NMRs; it may be that played with fewer it would prove to have serious tensions. But as it was I found it disappointing after the very positive reviews previously (but it's noteworthy that none of the players gave it less than 3/5 for enjoyment.) I can't see any of the central nations having much chance and it's just a question of whether South Africa can grow strong enough before Libya and Saudi Arabia take over the north.

But perhaps I'm wrong. Maybe the next person to run it will find it a much better map. But for myself, the enjoyment rating would be 2 at best - "a bit weak; not enough to think about."
Pedros

Postby Netr0 » 25 Jan 2013, 17:06

Well I think the NMR's on first build phase ruined the game for everyone, mine especially. Zaire did stand a chance in the game, with the builds. Zaire would need to be diplomatic with the northern/eastern neighbor and convince them not to stab while Zaire focuses against the zerg in the south whom has only 1 path of expansion.

One possible chance to this map could be removing south Africa and Zaire and inputting Madagascar(edit= +Angola). This would remove the dominance of South Africa and replace it with 2 southern forces who both have 2 neighbors... instead 1 with 3-4 neighbors and the other with just 1.

An Idea of the starting SC's could be
Angola
Gab Kin Ang

Madagasar
Mad Tan Moz(Change say Zam SC to Moz)

Perhaps move some neutral SC's around as to not benefit one side completely.
Last edited by Netr0 on 26 Jan 2013, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
If you can, win.
If you can't, draw.
If you stab, succeed.
Netr0

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1315)
All-game rating: (1649)

Postby Pedros » 25 Jan 2013, 18:18

Thanks Netr0. When we're done I'll separate your post out as the beginning of discussion - similar to what we did with Heptarchy and War in the Americas.
Pedros

Return to Game 3