AARs

7-player game starting with Regular map and rules, in which the GM makes map and rule changes each season. Devised and GMd by Pedros and marsman 57. Winner: Austria (Flatley)

AARs

Postby Pedros » 30 Apr 2013, 16:26

I will add more detailed comments later, but for now let me say that I for one have thoroughly enjoyed this game. Not one I'd want to repeat too often - far too much like hard work - but amazing. And a huge thank you to marsman for his ideas, corrections, and general support throughout.

We weren't perfect by some distance. In particular we underestimated how hard the first ten years were going to be for the players - the Shift Right rule in particular was too harsh in its context after so many rules cutting down the number of units the players had.

Buyt a well-deserved win for Flatley, firstly holding his position together through those early years and then showing a near-complete mastery of the different units in the second half of the game - though I'd be interested to hear from him whether he realised he was still sitting on a Hyperspace Joker? Well done mambam for remembering that totally unused rule at the end - pity about the outcome.

And thanks to all the players for bearing with what must at times have been a nightmare! But at least that was what you were promised!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: AARs

Postby marsman57 » 01 May 2013, 03:09

Great game. Apologies to the players and Pedros for sometimes being a bit slow on the uptake with communication. I think we underestimated how hard it was going to be to continually generate new rules as the game continued. Congrats to Flatley for leveraging the rules to drive his victory.

My only disappointment was that no one ever built an engineer. I understand why, but man I spent a lot of time on those rules!
marsman57

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1128)

Postby VGhost » 01 May 2013, 17:19

Doing a detailed AAR for this game would be practically impossible. Hmm. I thought it was a cool concept, and for the first few years it was a fun concept, but as the rule changes multiplied, it became more of a chore. By the end I felt like I was going through the motions - and the end was kind of messy.

End-Game Issues
1) ME. I messed up a full year's worth of orders in 1918, which basically handed Flatley's Austria the game, even if he hadn't been likely to win already.
2) Rules & Players: The way the Independents (I think: 1915?) were introduced swung the game so dramatically in Austria's direction that trying to cobble together a (completely different from the last) ALA was... problematic. Introduction of a new German player also screwed things up, because haroonriaz went full-tilt off after France for no good reason and didn't really respond to messages - though again, not that I sent that many.

The game itself got stuck in a holding pattern for me - my initial plan was to take Scandinavia, then turn on whichever of my German and French "allies" looked more vulnerable and/or had already attacked me. I went after Germany, but then France was the major threat... and then rules chaos.

If this sounds incoherent, well, the game was kind of incoherent for large stretches.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 987
All-game rating: 941
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby marsman57 » 02 May 2013, 03:57

Sorry to hear you became disheartened. Thinking it over, it seems to me like toward the end of the game there was a chance the rules could snowball in favor of anyone who started getting momentum. That said, what I am pretty sure put him over the edge was his VR power choice. Hyperspace was definitely the best of the powers presented in my opinion.

By the way, Pedros can you post the power bids? I already deleted all my Devious messages.
marsman57

Postby Pedros » 08 May 2013, 02:35

"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby marsman57 » 08 May 2013, 14:06

Pedros wrote:Already done, at posting.php?mode=edit&f=463&p=635013

Link doesn't work.
marsman57

Postby Pedros » 12 Jul 2015, 17:41

Link corrected
Pedros

Postby marsman57 » 14 Jul 2015, 18:05

It only took you 2 years lol
marsman57

Postby Pedros » 14 Jul 2015, 18:18

:twisted:
Pedros

Return to The Devious GM