Problem: restarting game after NMR on 1st turn

Information on how to set up games for class-based projects.

Problem: restarting game after NMR on 1st turn

Postby RedCandle » 16 Sep 2015, 16:24

Dear Admins,

Last night, I attempted to force the games I have created (107144, 107146, 1407147, 107148, 107149) to process from Spring 1901 to Fall 1901 after the students procrastinated in joining and confirming participation. The result of my attempt was that all the games were shifted from active status to pending, and in each game one student was taken off the list of countries so that each game now has 6 players instead of 7. Now, I used the login information that I supplied to each student to re-subscribe the missing students to their games, but in each case the program told me that the students (whose names were missing from the PlayDip dashboard on each game) had in fact already joined. So, I'm lost and not sure what to do to get these games going. If I can't get these games going by Sunday PM, I'll have to abandon the use of PlayDip for this semester.

Can you help?

tdoyle
tdoyle
"Love is a perky elf dancing a merry little jig and then suddenly he turns on you with a miniature machine gun." Soren Kierkegaard
RedCandle

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1175)
All-game rating: (1316)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Problem: restarting game after NMR on 1st turn

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Sep 2015, 16:57

Yes, I can help. I will sort it out.

For future reference, the problem is that you must have specified NMR Protect when you set the games up. NMR Protect forces the games to restart if one or more players have not submitted any orders, surrendering them along the way. Given you are working with students, it is probably a bad idea to use NMR Protect!

Anyway, let me go and have a look.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Postby RedCandle » 16 Sep 2015, 17:00

super_dipsy,

Many thanks for your assistance! I'm sorry to have been such a bother.

tdoyle
tdoyle
"Love is a perky elf dancing a merry little jig and then suddenly he turns on you with a miniature machine gun." Soren Kierkegaard
RedCandle

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Sep 2015, 17:32

OK, I have been through and rejoined all the countries that had been surrendered. I have also turned NMR Protect off for all the games so this does not happen again when people do not submit orders.

You will have to either go in as each student now and confirm or get them to confirm, and then the game will start again.

But please note that if they do not submit orders for two consecutive order phases, they will be surrendered anyway. BTW, I noticed the list for the last game looked a bit odd.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Postby RedCandle » 16 Sep 2015, 17:36

Profound thanks for your help!!

My rosters changed for some games as a result of some students dropping from my course, and then I recruited graduate students to fill slots. In some cases, they did not follow my naming conventions for userID. I might not have to drink the entire fifth of whiskey now.

tdoyle
tdoyle
RedCandle

Return to For Teachers