Assignments and teaching moments

Information on how to set up games for class-based projects.

Assignments and teaching moments

Postby Gladius2 » 17 Feb 2015, 17:52

How do y'all use Diplomacy as a teaching tool? Can you post the assignments you use and maybe how you structure your class time with the game?

I use this for a class on leadership and motivation. The class meets 3 mornings a week for 50 minutes.

Structure: I spend 3 class periods getting the game started. The first period I go over how to play, explain the rules and pass out ID's, passwords and fast tracked game assignments. I walk them through the first turn of the sample game from the rulebook. I use jDip as a computer adjudicator so they can see how a point/click interface works. The second day I have them do one turn in class and we see how they came out. The third day I have them do the second turn and the build phase. From then on, they play online outside of class.

Assignment: The students do a reflection paper at the end of the game. In that paper, they identify four leadership concepts used in the class and show how those concepts played out in the game. Since I am in the Communication Studies department, using examples including the language is important. So I encourage them to keep notes and to use messaging when they can so they have a record. Concepts include things like ethics, persuasion, power, framing, trust, vision, et cetera.
Gladius2
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Assignments and teaching moments

Postby Typhon » 18 Feb 2015, 00:44

You can use Diplomacy as a teaching tool? So in like college, or what?
Typhon

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1511)
All-game rating: (1498)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Otherwise » 18 Feb 2015, 16:18

I'm very glad you've started this topic, Gladius2- Sorry I can't provide a decent and informative answer, as I'm not a teacher.

But I've always been intrigued by Diplomacy as a teaching tool. With SO many applications. I naturally assumed that it would be in a political science or history class. But a leadership class, that's another good one.

And my first thought when I read the forums on using Diplomacy as a teaching tool was "Ah! I WISH it would've been in my schools!" and also, "AH! Why haven't we done this since 1956??".

I'm hoping that more teachers contribute to this topic and give you some good, meaty narratives.

-Bbbumpy
Otherwise

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1142)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby fijikilo0 » 18 Feb 2015, 17:45

I actually discovered Diplomacy because my U.S history teacher had us play a game in class.
Fee-G-Key-Low-(zero) Can ya pronounce it now?
Participant in Untitled/progressive story thread.
Indonesia in Far East Asia game A:Survivor with 1 SC
Peru in World Influence(First major power eliminated)
Before a backstab, be sure the blade can sever the tough spine.
Quitting (again)
fijikilo0

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (951)

Postby Otherwise » 18 Feb 2015, 19:04

THEREFORE, Fiji, you should maximize THIS teaching moment, and give us an AAR [After Action Report] to the best of your recollection.

You will get extra credit. AND, you'll get BONUS extra credit for doing it from a student's point of view :)

Now that's a teaching moment!

-Bbbumpy

:mrgreen:
Otherwise

Standard rating: (1118)
All-game rating: (1142)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby fijikilo0 » 18 Feb 2015, 21:34

Bbbumpy wrote:THEREFORE, Fiji, you should maximize THIS teaching moment, and give us an AAR [After Action Report] to the best of your recollection.

The game was ended pre-maturely...

But i do recall this: My country was Austria (What a great first time role) I stole venice in 1901 and grew quite substantially while everyone else had no idea about support or convoy which just made sense to me.
Fee-G-Key-Low-(zero) Can ya pronounce it now?
Participant in Untitled/progressive story thread.
Indonesia in Far East Asia game A:Survivor with 1 SC
Peru in World Influence(First major power eliminated)
Before a backstab, be sure the blade can sever the tough spine.
Quitting (again)
fijikilo0

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (951)

Return to For Teachers