Teacher capabilities

Information on how to set up games for class-based projects.

Teacher capabilities

Postby TheSwami » 09 Feb 2015, 00:06

I just signed up for playdiplomacy and got a game going with some of my students. Well done with the interface, message system, and I especially like what is shown in the orders history. It really gives a great view of what happened and why the results were what they were.

My suggestion is to allow the teacher to be able to see who has finalized their moves. There's been a few times now that 6 players will get their moves in, and one slacks. I understand this is probably a typical thing to run into, but if I'm organizing this with students, and I'm simply the moderator, than I think I should be able to see who has finalized what. This way, if some student is slacking, I could send them an email or a Facebook message reminding them. Like a "just waiting on you" type of thing. Also, with this ability to communicate, I could quickly figure out if someone needs a substitute and then deal with that.

*who knows, maybe there IS a way to see this, and I just don't know it since I'm new, but if not, that's what my suggestion is.

Well done on the site!!
TheSwami

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Teacher capabilities

Postby asudevil » 09 Feb 2015, 00:24

For teachers games this may be a decent idea...we don't do it in general so that people don't ally based on who is finalizing and not.

But I like this for schools games.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Alman » 09 Feb 2015, 01:05

An idea similar to this has been raised recently. The full discussion, which you may find helpful is here: viewtopic.php?f=453&t=47627&p=803028

But I will also repost part of Super_Dipsy's answer here since it also gives you an option for what you're suggesting.
super_dipsy wrote:..... And remember, since you are the Teacher you can see all the usernames and passwords on your Teacher page, so if need be you could log on as each student and finalize for them if they have not done so.

However, I do see the advantage of having a way to force this in a Schools game. In fact, there is a way to do it but it is something that is currently only allowed on the test system. I will think about whether perhaps you should have a 'move on' button next to the game on your Teachers list for teachers to use. It would be easy enough to do, and since it only applies to Schools games and the Teacher would be the one to do it I can't see why it would cause any problems.

I don't know if there would be a way for you to see on your Teacher page who has or who has not finalized. I think, as Asudevil mentions, that it is not information that we'd want the players themselves to have access to, but as Teacher, it is valuable. But in the meantime, if you are able to log in as each student, you can see who needs a nudge to get their work done. More cumbersome and time consuming, but it will serve in a pinch. Good luck. Glad you are raising up future Diplomats! :)
Bronze Member: The Classicists & Oldies
War in the Americas 7 PbF

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote" -Kosh
"Nothing has to be true, but everything has to sound like it was." -Salvor Hardin
Alman

Standard rating: (1466)
All-game rating: (1586)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby TheSwami » 09 Feb 2015, 22:26

Ok, thanks, that'll help for the time being.

I've got quite a bit of interest going at my school right now. Is the limit 3 games at a time?? I would like to expand that to 5 if possible . . . is there someone that could help me with that??
TheSwami

Postby asudevil » 10 Feb 2015, 00:11

bswanson wrote:Ok, thanks, that'll help for the time being.

I've got quite a bit of interest going at my school right now. Is the limit 3 games at a time?? I would like to expand that to 5 if possible . . . is there someone that could help me with that??

That's not going to be an option...3 at a time is the max per player in a non-premium status.

However, if you have that much interest...they can get premium for as little as a dollar (we love more) and make their own accounts...play as many games as they want...cool variants...and YAY

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby TheSwami » 10 Feb 2015, 21:00

That's not what I meant. I also (wrongly) thought that meant a teacher could only create 3 games.
TheSwami

Postby TheSwami » 13 Feb 2015, 18:46

Another question:

If I purchase a premium account to get access to the other game variants, can my students play in those games? Or would they have to become a regular member, and then also get a premium account to participate in those games?
TheSwami

Postby asudevil » 13 Feb 2015, 19:45

bswanson wrote:Another question:

If I purchase a premium account to get access to the other game variants, can my students play in those games? Or would they have to become a regular member, and then also get a premium account to participate in those games?

Get regular...the. Buy premium

asudevil
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 13 Feb 2015, 20:08

It does not matter if u r premium or not, your students can only play standard games.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Postby DiplomacyDayM » 05 Dec 2015, 19:04

I have 56 games as a teacher and we will be starting in early January 2016. I want to give 2-3 weeks for initial discussions / negotiations, before the normal 24 deadline for moves kicks in (excluding weekends).

Is their any way to do that?

If yes, please give detailed instructions on how to delay a deadline.
DiplomacyDayM
Premium Member

Timezone: GMT-8

Next

Return to For Teachers