No "static deadline" option?

Information on how to set up games for class-based projects.

No "static deadline" option?

Postby NealStidham » 16 Jan 2015, 18:45

Hi, I'm running a school game for a college class which meets once a week. None of the options available for the turn length for school games seem to fit what I need: I was hoping to have each turn end at a specific time each week (in this case, 11:00am Eastern Time on Fridays). I set the deadline for turns at 7 days - though I was unaware of the "double length" first turn, and that needs to be made optional IMO. Then, I manually logged in each of the school accounts I created, joined, and confirmed, so that the timer would go off just before 11am each week. I chose not to have students be able to finalize orders themselves, because that would likely lead to turns finishing mid-week, between class meetings, and there are in-class activities each week which I've built around a regular cycle of game play. Is there a way to have a fixed turn end time each week that I somehow just missed, or is this instead an option that could be implemented? Thanks!

(As an aside, if an administrator has the ability to knock the extra week off the timer of my game #95428, that would be great, too.)
NealStidham

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: No "static deadline" option?

Postby Asha\' man Elend » 16 Jan 2015, 19:06

When you make the game, there is a Fixed Deadline option where the turn ends at the end of the time.

Hope this helps.
Asha\' man Elend

Standard rating: (850)
All-game rating: (855)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby WHSeward » 16 Jan 2015, 19:11

Taken to PM
"As a general truth, communities prosper and flourish, or droop and decline, in just the degree that they practice or neglect to practice the primary duties of justice and humanity." WHS

A member of the Classicists.

Ask me about mentor games. Send me a PM or post in the Mentoring forum.
WHSeward
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1633)
All-game rating: (1647)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby NealStidham » 16 Jan 2015, 19:23

Ne1ne1 wrote:When you make the game, there is a Fixed Deadline option where the turn ends at the end of the time.

Hope this helps.

That's what I selected, but what that actually means for a game is that the turn ends once a specific span of time goes by (in this case, 7 days), as opposed to the option to have the turn end at a specified time (e.g., 11am EST on Fridays) no matter whether that's exactly 7 days or not.
NealStidham

Postby Young Lochinvar » 16 Jan 2015, 19:46

NealStidham wrote:
Ne1ne1 wrote:When you make the game, there is a Fixed Deadline option where the turn ends at the end of the time.

Hope this helps.

That's what I selected, but what that actually means for a game is that the turn ends once a specific span of time goes by (in this case, 7 days), as opposed to the option to have the turn end at a specified time (e.g., 11am EST on Fridays) no matter whether that's exactly 7 days or not.

You can't explicitly set it up like this, but the game will begin as soon as the last player confirms their participation - so it's a hassle but as long as you can make sure the last player confirms around 11am on Friday then your deadlines will occur then. However, if you have no leeway and it needs to be 11am every Friday, on the dot, then this won't work - it takes a couple of minutes for orders to process so the deadline will slowly drift to a later and later time as the game goes on (i.e. the first one will be 11am, the next might be 11:02, then 11:05, and so on).

I agree with you that it would be a nice feature though :D
I've come out of the west...
Young Lochinvar

Standard rating: (1567)
All-game rating: (1573)

Postby NealStidham » 16 Jan 2015, 19:52

Young Lochinvar wrote:
NealStidham wrote:

Hope this helps.

You can't explicitly set it up like this, but the game will begin as soon as the last player confirms their participation - so it's a hassle but as long as you can make sure the last player confirms around 11am on Friday then your deadlines will occur then. However, if you have no leeway and it needs to be 11am every Friday, on the dot, then this won't work - it takes a couple of minutes for orders to process so the deadline will slowly drift to a later and later time as the game goes on (i.e. the first one will be 11am, the next might be 11:02, then 11:05, and so on).

I agree with you that it would be a nice feature though :D

Thanks. I think I had it set up that way in the beginning: I entered the student account names and confirmed participation manually myself, and that was done around 10:15 that morning, so the intent was that turns would end around that same time each week. What with the double first turn and the deadline extensions due to site issues this morning, the cycle has gotten pretty out of sync, though. Fortunately, WHSeward is graciously assisting me in getting things back on track. My students are eager to see the results of their first turn ever playing Dip, and I don't want them to have to wait!
NealStidham

Postby super_dipsy » 16 Jan 2015, 21:20

I do see good reasons for a static deadline, especially for Schools games. I am going to give it some thought. Good suggestion.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Postby gareth66 » 16 Jan 2015, 21:23

As an aside to this (and what I thought the thread was about when I first saw the title) - do people think there is any mileage in a "no deadline" option for game setup? In other words, phases would only process when everybody had finalised. Could actually have the effect of games moving quicker but only as quick as the players are really ready for. Would eliminate "not finalising for the sake of it"? Or too much scope for abuse?
gareth66

Standard rating: (1485)
All-game rating: (1638)

Postby Peanut » 16 Jan 2015, 22:31

gareth66 wrote:As an aside to this (and what I thought the thread was about when I first saw the title) - do people think there is any mileage in a "no deadline" option for game setup? In other words, phases would only process when everybody had finalised. Could actually have the effect of games moving quicker but only as quick as the players are really ready for. Would eliminate "not finalising for the sake of it"? Or too much scope for abuse?

How would you deal with NMRs or someone throwing their toys out of the pram after a stab?
I think there has the be an ultimate cut-off.
Youth & Talent are no match for Age & Treachery
Let your relationships with the other players drive your strategy, not the other way around.
Ambassador & Platinum Member of the Classicists
Peanut

Location: Tiptree (where jam comes from), Essex. England (orig Lutterworth, Leics - where Jet Engine invented)
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1381)

Postby Typhon » 16 Jan 2015, 22:43

Wait, there's a diplomacy class in college? SIGN ME UP! :mrgreen:
Typhon

Standard rating: (1511)
All-game rating: (1498)