New Teacher Questions

Information on how to set up games for class-based projects.

New Teacher Questions

Postby sonicwarhol » 31 Dec 2014, 18:31

I only see one post in this forum for teachers, so maybe I should be asking this elsewhere but I was assigned a teacher account and I did a practice set-up just to explore things, however the game I set up will never be played, how do I delete the game?

Question 2: Can I force a new turn to happen. Can I make it so that turns aren't automatically generated, like every 24 hours, but instead make it so that a new turn happens when I tell it to, so I can be in class with my students, input the orders and then make the transition from Spring to Fall right there so they see the result and then have 24 hours to talk with people to decide on the next action to take?

Thanks.
sonicwarhol

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (976)
All-game rating: (976)
Timezone: GMT

Re: New Teacher Questions

Postby asudevil » 31 Dec 2014, 18:40

No way to delete the game...but it will disappear on its own...so no worries...just leave it.

And what you want to do for deadlines is make them 24 hour deadlines...with the option to finalize. Then while you are in class you can have everyone finalize...the turn will process and a new 24 hour deadline will appear...therefore giving them until the next day to enter orders...and then you can have them all finalize again (a couple of times even if you are in class) and then the deadline will wait until the next day.

Since you don't go to school on weekends, you may want to even do 3day turns...so that no deadlines fall on weekends...but the important part is make sure to have the default option of finalize checked.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Nightwind » 31 Dec 2014, 18:49

Yes, you can delete a game, if you are it's "creator", and no one else has joined yet..
when you create a game, it shows up on your "Pending Game" page briefly.
Instead, go to the "Jone Game" page, and look for the game. You will see a >clickable< blue button to the right of the password box that says Delete Game.

As far as advancing the game, as long as you make the game WITHOUT "Fixed deadlines", all the players have to do is click the "Finalize Orders" button on the Drop-down Orders menu option.... the game will then proceed to the next turn.
Last edited by Nightwind on 01 Jan 2015, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
Nightwind

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (989)
All-game rating: (977)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby super_dipsy » 31 Dec 2014, 18:55

sonicwarhol wrote:Question 2: Can I force a new turn to happen. Can I make it so that turns aren't automatically generated, like every 24 hours, but instead make it so that a new turn happens when I tell it to, so I can be in class with my students, input the orders and then make the transition from Spring to Fall right there so they see the result and then have 24 hours to talk with people to decide on the next action to take?

As the others said, as long as you get all the students to finalize, the game will progress. And remember, since you are the Teacher you can see all the usernames and passwords on your Teacher page, so if need be you could log on as each student and finalize for them if they have not done so.

However, I do see the advantage of having a way to force this in a Schools game. In fact, there is a way to do it but it is something that is currently only allowed on the test system. I will think about whether perhaps you should have a 'move on' button next to the game on your Teachers list for teachers to use. It would be easy enough to do, and since it only applies to Schools games and the Teacher would be the one to do it I can't see why it would cause any problems.

Good suggestion.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (931)
Timezone: GMT

Postby sonicwarhol » 01 Jan 2015, 18:06

Thanks for your help everyone!
sonicwarhol

Class: Diplomat