School Rules

Information on how to set up games for class-based projects.

School Rules

Postby Westerham » 27 Feb 2013, 18:17

Please can someone let me know if you can play in school games and use the same Name to play in ranked games.
Westerham

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (948)
All-game rating: (966)
Timezone: GMT

Re: School Rules

Postby jaelis » 27 Feb 2013, 18:47

From the School Rules section:
SCHOOLS GAMES.
1. These games may be class-based games and, therefore, may involve “Official” accounts. Official accounts are those accounts designated by the Teacher (the member who set up the game). Official accounts are only to be used in SCHOOLS games.

Edit: To address the other half of the question: there is no rule against a person using their regular account in a School game.
So Official accounts can only play in School games. Regular accounts can play in any game.

The point is to let teachers set up special accounts that will be used by different people from one class year to the next.
jaelis

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1060)
All-game rating: (1212)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Westerham » 28 Feb 2013, 14:04

The reason I asked is a player who plays in school games joins one of my games as a surrendered country , how does one know if it is an official account or not ?

I think if you play in non rank school games you shouldn't then use that same account in ranked games , allows for to much suspicion.

Just a thought ! no offence meant to Admins or Mods.

In this case my curiosity was unfounded as the new surrendered country then surrendered :-)
Westerham

Postby jaelis » 28 Feb 2013, 14:53

Westerham wrote:how does one know if it is an official account or not ?

Official account names will be something like "BrownHighSchool_Player1," that kind of thing. If you see a user ID like that, you can ask a mod about it.
jaelis

Postby Westerham » 28 Feb 2013, 15:08

That is fair enough , if you look at game 54441

Are they all school moderator accounts that also play other ranked games.

I can't see how I can distinguish them apart , to me they are all bona fide accounts and nothing to do with schools ?

justus2017342 (WINNER)
lillian2017297
surrendered
andrew2017094
0705danny (WINNER)
surrendered
Westerham

Postby Pedros » 28 Feb 2013, 15:12

I don't understand why there's a problem here Westerham? You have a game, you know the opponents, what makes you think some of them are school accounts?

And more from the School Rules:-

2. An Official account MUST include, as part of the username, a school- or class-identifier agreed between the Teacher and a Moderator.

3. If an account does NOT contain such an identifier, it will be treated as a “Personal” account.

4. If an Official account is used in any other category of game, it will be treated as a “Personal” account.

5. Members who play in SCHOOLS games using an Official account are also allowed to open a Personal account to play in other, non-SCHOOLS games; this is the only exception to rule 1 of the General Rules on multiple accounts.

Those accounts don't qualify as Official accounts; therefore they are personal accounts. What's the issue?
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Postby Westerham » 28 Feb 2013, 15:24

So in this game which states "This is a private game between students for teaching purposes" is a school game or is not a school game ?

To me they are all personal accounts , I cant see where the school element comes into the equation ?

To me this is not a school game and is bogus !

Pedros wrote:I don't understand why there's a problem here Westerham? You have a game, you know the opponents, what makes you think some of them are school accounts?

And more from the School Rules:-

2. An Official account MUST include, as part of the username, a school- or class-identifier agreed between the Teacher and a Moderator.

3. If an account does NOT contain such an identifier, it will be treated as a “Personal” account.

4. If an Official account is used in any other category of game, it will be treated as a “Personal” account.

5. Members who play in SCHOOLS games using an Official account are also allowed to open a Personal account to play in other, non-SCHOOLS games; this is the only exception to rule 1 of the General Rules on multiple accounts.

Those accounts don't qualify as Official accounts; therefore they are personal accounts. What's the issue?
Westerham

Postby Jegpeg » 28 Feb 2013, 15:44

Westerham wrote:So in this game which states "This is a private game between students for teaching purposes" is a school game or is not a school game ?

To me they are all personal accounts , I cant see where the school element comes into the equation ?

As I understand it there is no compulsion on schools to set up "official" accounts. A school could could ask each student to set up a personnal account which they then use in a school game and can also use for other games.

I am con sure if there can be a "bogus" school game. I could see a mentor game being set up as a school game so the mentor rather than play as one of the countries can see the beginners communications and take on more of a teaching role even though there is no school involved. I don't think there is a problem with doing this games are unranked and all players know the set-up..
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)

Postby Pedros » 28 Feb 2013, 16:27

Westerham - if you'd quoted that in the first post you'd have saved us all a lot of time and energy. And even now you don't quote the game number, so we can't check what's actually happening!

I'm also moving this from the "Dip Rules" Forum to "Site Rules" where it belongs
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Postby jaelis » 28 Feb 2013, 16:43

Westerham wrote:So in this game which states "This is a private game between students for teaching purposes" is a school game or is not a school game ?

If it is set up as a School game, then it is a School game. That's like saying you can't tell if a game is Rank or not. It says right there in the game statistics.

There is no possibility for it to be bogus. Anyone can set up a School game for any reason, just like a Rank, Norank, or Friends game.

The issue you seem to be caught up in is the special Official accounts that can be used in School games. If you had a reason to think that someone was using an Official account in a regular game, then you should bring that to a mod's attention. But we pay pretty close attention to these accounts, so unless you find an account with a funny name like I suggested before, it is unlikely to be an Official account.

So bottom line: if you have a good reason to think that someone is misusing an Official account, let us know. But someone playing a regular account in a School game (much less a game that talks about a school in its description) is not grounds for concern.
jaelis

Next

Return to For Teachers