Modern - started - Reserves wanted

GM: UpQuark. Winner: Aardvark Army (Italy)

Re: Modern - starting in the future - Sign-ups (7 / 10)

Postby UpQuark » 23 Aug 2012, 19:56

Start Date is not yet determined - I just thought we should formalize the interested player count, and determine whether to include air wings (previous games on PlayDip did not), and assign a GM.

The start date is really up to the group - I have made myself available to GM. I figured waiting until Christmas or later (for asudevil to GM) might be longer than most desired...

UpQuark
practically massless elementary particle
UpQuark

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (986)
All-game rating: (898)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Modern - starting in the future - Sign-ups (7 / 10)

Postby haroonriaz » 24 Aug 2012, 00:53

In a way, the airplane units sound fun.
More than half of Diplomacy games are ruined because players leave them half-way.
Silver Member Classicist, Cavalry, Captain CLD, Winner: War in the Americas, Joint: GoT I, 1792 Napoleonic Diplomacy 1, Zeus 3, Stew 2, East Asia 2, Loeb-9 3, Manifest Destiny I, 1905 2.0, Napoleonic E&C, Seismic 6
haroonriaz

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 921
All-game rating: 923
Timezone: GMT+5

Re: Modern - starting in the future - Sign-ups (8 / 10)

Postby Pedros » 24 Aug 2012, 11:36

I think Imperium may have a while to run yet, kb!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Modern - starting in the future - Sign-ups (8 / 10)

Postby Gooderian » 24 Aug 2012, 16:43

I´ll be a player.
Gold Classicist, and a member of the whippersnappers.
Remember, our country is called the Netherlands, not Holland!
Gooderian

Standard rating: (1059)
All-game rating: (1045)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: Modern - starting in the future - Sign-ups (9 / 10)

Postby Bazza » 24 Aug 2012, 18:32

I'll play please.
Bazza

Standard rating: (1003)
All-game rating: (1004)

Re: Modern - starting in the future - Sign-ups (10 / 10)

Postby Xunti » 24 Aug 2012, 20:04

In favour of aircraft
Xunti

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Re: Modern - starting in the future - Sign-ups (9 / 10)

Postby sjg11 » 24 Aug 2012, 20:32

I guess that I'll take the last spot here.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)

Postby AirsoftAlex » 24 Aug 2012, 21:47

I vote for no airplanes
/\/|AirsoftAlex|\/\ "Just shut up and fight."
AirsoftAlex

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (979)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Sanguinem » 25 Aug 2012, 02:50

Woo! I'm in, and I vote for Wing units, although I'll be happy to play without them. They do make for a more balanced game though.

One clarification about the wing units though. If they are in an enemy SC at the end of fall turn, not only can the owner of the blockaded SC not build there, it doesn't count towards their SC total. I didn't see that mentioned in the previous posts (although I may have missed it), so I just thought I'd make sure that was known.

I prefer wing units in the game as they help to strengthen some of the weaker powers (especially France, England and Poland, who statistically have the worst records). They allow powers to build "extra" armies or fleets. Poland can only build one fleet per year, since they only have one port. With the ability to build Wing units, they can compete navally by being able to build Wings in Warsaw or Krakow. The converse is true for England, who can build a Wing unit early to help control the seas, and then when they have control, the Wings can be sent inland to act as armies (at least support-wise). They are also powerful in coastal and peninsular areas, and make stalemate lines very hard (if not impossible) to form.

That being said, I just want to play Modern, wings or not :D
Sanguinem

Standard rating: (1319)
All-game rating: (1377)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby UpQuark » 25 Aug 2012, 03:28

Sanguinem wrote:Woo! I'm in, and I vote for Wing units, although I'll be happy to play without them. They do make for a more balanced game though.

One clarification about the wing units though. If they are in an enemy SC at the end of fall turn, not only can the owner of the blockaded SC not build there, it doesn't count towards their SC total. I didn't see that mentioned in the previous posts (although I may have missed it), so I just thought I'd make sure that was known.

It took me some searching to find a good reference for this behavior. The web references do not delineate this particular occurrence with regard SC count - only the limitation that if a plane is in a space, it is considered occupied (hence no build allowed in that space) - but since it cannot capture and SC, and no SC changes hands, it does not state that there is no artificial reduction in the SC count of the SC owner (and thereby preventing a build elsewhere or forcing a disband).

To make the game more current, a new unit type -- airplanes -- was originally added. Planes could go over water and land but could not capture a supply center. Therefore, if France managed to move a plane over London, England would still own it, but not be able to build there.

Also, there was originally, a new type of unit - planes - added to the game. Planes could go over water and land but could not capture a supply center. Therefore, if France managed to move a plane over London, England would still own it, but not be able to build there. The game was playtested both with and without planes, and it was felt that both were valid games
from: http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/m/modern2.htm

I set up a scenario in RealWorld, and it acts exactly as you say - it treats the covered SC as "blocked", and therefore will prevent a build and also cause a disband based on the SC being "blocked". The owner of the plane does not get credit for the "blocked" SC except for Victory conditions (it does count towards the 33 SCs required to win).

So I looked through the available literature. Here are the Wing rules from Post-Modern, noting especially 5.2 (and is the same in the Archives rules from the previous games on PlayDip):

Wing Rules

1.A wing unit can move over both land and water spaces
2.A wing unit can support actions in any space adjacent to the one it occupies.
3.A wing can give, receive and cut support in the same way as armies and fleets.
4.A wing unit cannot convoy or be convoyed.
5.A wing unit cannot capture an SC, but instead blockades it:
    1.A blockade occurs when a wing unit occupies the SC of another player in a fall season.
    2.The player who owns a blockaded SC does not get to count it when counting his total number of SCs.
    3.A blockade ends as soon as the wing unit no longer occupies the SC.
    4.Builds only take place in the winter phase, just as in games without wings.
from: http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/p/postmoderneurope2.htm

So considering the plane's presence as a blockade does make sense.

Thanks for clarifying. I will include this clarification in the rules for planes (when I publish the game rules at the start) if the group decides to include these units. Victory SC count includes any blockaded SC.

UpQuark
Last edited by UpQuark on 25 Aug 2012, 04:02, edited 2 times in total.
practically massless elementary particle
UpQuark

Standard rating: (986)
All-game rating: (898)
Timezone: GMT-7

PreviousNext

Return to Game 4