Oh no! Black Hole Diplomacy (full, but reserves needed)

Variant in which random spaces become black holes turn by turn. Introduced by Pedros from a variety of older, similar games and GMd by Pedros. Winner: Radical Pumpkin (Italy)
Enjoyment rating: :D :D :D :)

Oh no! Black Hole Diplomacy (full, but reserves needed)

Postby Pedros » 01 Aug 2012, 10:22

In the gap created by the Heptarchy Test B, I'm pleased to offer, for the first tiime on this site,

Black Hole Diplomacy!

Here it is (there are several versions in the Bank; I've mixed and matched from them):-

1. Regular map, and regular rules of Dip apply except as below.

2. After each Spring and Autumn turn, after retreats (but before adjustments), the GM will randomly select one of the 75 provinces on the board, or Switzerland, to become a BLACK HOLE. The province selected can be either a land or a sea province.

3. The province selected by the GM will cease to exist immediately, and any unit in that province is annihilated. If the province is a supply center, it is removed from the adjustment chart, reducing the total number of supply centres by one. Black-Holing lasts for the rest of the game. All provinces which touch the Black Hole now touch each other - movement, support, retreats and (if appropriate) convoys can pass through them as though they weren't there.

Clarification 1 This may mean the loss or creation of coastlines, so that provinces may have more than one coastline for the first time, may have coastlines where they didn't have them before, or lose coastlines which they did have. Fleets on a coastline which is suddenly divided into two may choose before the retreat phase which coastline to be placed on; fleets in a coastal province which gets a new coastline not part of the original one stay on the coast they were already on. If a fleet is in a province which becomes landlocked, the fleet is destroyed. Provisionally a fleet on a coast which becomes landlocked, but in a province which has another coast, is transferred to the other coast (the nearest one by coastal segments if there are more than one other coast, random if equal.)

Clarification 2 If a second black hole is created touching an existing one, then the logic of the rule applies: all provinces touching the first black hole were touching the new black hole, so they are all touching those adjacent to the second black hole.

4. Each player may designate with his Spring 1901 orders ONE home supply center to be immune from the effects of Rules 2 and 3. If no preference is indicated, the GM will select one. The decision cannot subsequently be changed, with only ONE exception: if a player loses control of his exempt center to another power, and is left with only two of his home centers, then if one of the latter is Black-holed he may change exemption to his last remaining center. This may only be done once per player in the course of the game.

5. The choice of exempted home centers is not revealed unless a player specifically requests the GM to announce his or her choice.

6. If any country is eliminated entirely from the game, whichever of his home centers was at that time exempted from black-holing shall cease to be exempt and shall return to the "pot"

8. Victory condition is control of a majority of surviving SCs after a Fall season.

Countries by Blind Auction, so nobody give the slightest hint about their favourites!. Deadlines probably 3/1/1; can be incrreased (slightly) or altered to "No weekends" by player agreement, but I wouldn't want to make the deadlines shorter.

Players
demmahom CONFIRMED
bluestreaksoccer CONFIRMED
GhostEcho CONFIRMED
Kithchener CONFIRMED
BoomstickS CONFIRMED
Radical Pumpkin CONFIRMED
Janepeg CONFIRMED

Reserves
loserforsale
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Oh no! Black Hold Diplomacy (sign ups)

Postby demmahom » 01 Aug 2012, 10:32

Can I play?
Terror is amorphous. It can't be seen unless it takes a shape.

To play or not to play; that is the question
Good bye!.
Tactics will help you in playdip, an army wil help you in war. Nver combine the two.
See you!.
Forget your friend's names, remember your enemies
Adios, people-os.

demmahom

Location: My location is in a secret code hidden in my avatar. Can you find out where I am?
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (871)
All-game rating: (876)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Oh no! Black Hold Diplomacy (sign ups)

Postby Pedros » 01 Aug 2012, 11:33

Certainly can! Welcome
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Re: Oh no! Black Hold Diplomacy (sign ups, 1/7)

Postby demmahom » 01 Aug 2012, 12:01

Is it random selection of countries?
Terror is amorphous. It can't be seen unless it takes a shape.

To play or not to play; that is the question
Good bye!.
Tactics will help you in playdip, an army wil help you in war. Nver combine the two.
See you!.
Forget your friend's names, remember your enemies
Adios, people-os.

demmahom

Location: My location is in a secret code hidden in my avatar. Can you find out where I am?
Standard rating: (871)
All-game rating: (876)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Pedros » 01 Aug 2012, 12:40

Good question! I'm forgetting my own guidelines!

No, it'll be a blind auction so nobody give even the slightest hint of which country you might favour (or not!)

For those who don't know blind auction, it's at viewtopic.php?f=148&t=20967&start=10#p287053
Pedros

Postby bluestreaksoccer » 01 Aug 2012, 14:00

This looks awesome! Count me in.
"LIVE. DIE. REPEAT" -how I play diplomacy
bluestreaksoccer

Standard rating: (852)
All-game rating: (855)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 01 Aug 2012, 14:14

Welcome bluestreak!
Pedros

Re: Oh no! Black Hole Diplomacy (sign ups, 2/7)

Postby VGhost » 02 Aug 2012, 00:02

Basically this game is Seismic on steroids and with no actual strategy involved with the extra rules?

I'll play!
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (995)
All-game rating: (982)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Oh no! Black Hole Diplomacy (sign ups, 2/7)

Postby Pedros » 02 Aug 2012, 04:59

Errh - I don't think I'd quite seen it like that Echo! I though this was more like the restful version of Seismic - no worries about what to order, just see what the dice throw up!

But welcome!
Pedros

Amendments to OP

Postby Pedros » 02 Aug 2012, 10:06

A couple of alterations to the opening post - one of them pretty damned important!

1. I managed not to include the most critical point, the effect of a black hole!
All provinces which touch the Black Hole now touch each other - movement, support, retreats and (if appropriate) convoys can pass through them as though they weren't there.

2. I removed the rule about retreats which aren't ordered - they were in the originals for postal games where provisional retreats are submitted alongside the main orders, and aren't necessary here. Retreats which aren't ordered will continue to be destroyed.

3. I've included a note on deadlines -
Deadlines probably 3/1/1; can be incrreased (slightly) or altered to "No weekends" by player agreement, but I wouldn't want to make the deadlines shorter.

Hope nobody's upset by these changes!
Pedros

Next

Return to Black Hole Diplomacy {All Maps Lost}