Viking Diplomacy IV

8-player game with standard rules, created by Erlend 'Joe' Janbu. Introduced and GMd by UpQuark. Winner: Mouse.
Enjoyment rating: :D :D :D :D

Viking Diplomacy IV

Postby UpQuark » 13 Aug 2012, 01:41

Welcome to 950 AD. You now have the opportunity to be the Viking you always wanted to be… the winner will be the Viking who actually uses diplomatic influence to gain the trust of his (or her) neighbors in addition to the typical methods of razing, pillaging, and murdering. Your king and gods demand conquest in their name.

Glory to the victor(s), Valhalla for the losers.

Viking Diplomacy IV Game Description:
Viking Diplomacy is an 8 player variant situated in Europe, beginning in Spring 950. Viking Diplomacy was developed by Joe Janbu and variant information is located here:
http://www.variantbank.org/results/rules/v/viking4.htm

Note that the map of Europe may look familiar, but the interior lines are dramatically different…

viking_start_950.gif
Viking Diplomacy Start
viking_start_950.gif (144.51 KiB) Viewed 1560 times

Viking Diplomacy IV Game Rules:
1. Standard Diplomacy Rules apply except as modified below.

2. The following provinces are modified as described:

2.1. Hedeby, Oerne, and Kalmar are Channel provinces similar to Kiel in standard Diplomacy (no coastal differentiation). Miklagard is the same as Constantinople.
    2.2. Armies may move freely to Kalmar, Jylland, and Hedeby from Oerne without convoy.
    2.3. Fleets may utilize either of the 2 waterways, labeled Volga Route and Dnepr Route. Movement by fleets following these waterways inland is restricted to only those borders through which the waterway passes. Fleets in waterways may convoy armies (only through the borders through which the waterway passes for both embarkation and debarkation).
    2.4. Cyprus, Corsica and other small unlabelled islands (such as Greek islands) are not separate eligible territories and armies may not land on them. Islands which are specifically named are considered land provinces and are eligible to support armies, such as Visby, Cagliari (Sardinia), and Palma.
    2.5. The Dark Grey areas in Africa are impassable (Sahara Desert).

3. In addition to the 8 players of this variant, there are 5 Neutral territories with armies present, represented by Brown (with ring) supply centers on the map. Each of these Tan Neutral territories is occupied by a Neutral army. These armies may be supported to Hold by other players. The Neutral armies are disbanded immediately if dislodged, but rebuilt at the end of the year if the territory remains unclaimed. Once captured by a player, the territory becomes a standard SC, and never reverts to Neutral status again. The 5 Armies have standing orders as follows (Support order is only given to a Neutral Unit):

3.1. A Lon H
    3.2. A Bud S A Pes H
    3.3. A Pes S A Bud H
    3.4. A Jrs S A Ale H
    3.5. A Ale S A Jrs H

4. Black (with ring) SCs on Tan territories are not Neutrals; they function as normal unoccupied SCs. (Burgundy SCs are solid Black on Light Grey territories.)

5. Victory is declared when one Nation has control of 26 SCs. If two or more Nations occupy 26 centers or more during the same year, any one of those players may choose to declare the game a draw between the players who own more than 25 centers. Until any player does this, the game goes on until only one player owns 26 centers or more. There are 85 total SCs in the game.

6. The 8 Nations are as follows (refer to the Start Position map for starting units and locations):

6.1. Norge (Norway)
    6.2. Danmark (Denmark)
    6.3. Sverige (Sweden)
    6.4. France
    6.5. Burgundy
    6.6. Eastern Roman Empire
    6.7. Arab Caliphates
    6.8. Slavic Nations

UpQuark House Rules:
1. Deadlines are 4/2/2 – 4 days for turns, and 2 each for Retreats and Builds. All deadlines are Speed deadlines and will be processed once all orders are received for those phases. (Orders submitted as Conditional or Provisional will not trigger the Speed deadline until confirmation of the order as final or the deadline passes.)

1.1. Turn 1 only shall be 5 days.

2. PlayDip Forum Games Standard Rules apply unless specifically modified here. See: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=25319

3. The game turns will be posted with clearly marked deadlines for the next phase, and also included in the notification emails. I will send out “reminder” notifications 24 hours prior to the deadline, though this is not “guaranteed” in any way and should not be relied upon.

4. Please title all turn submittal messages regarding Viking Diplomacy in a manner to clearly identify the game, nation, and turn. For example: “Viking [Nation] [Season] [Year]”.

5. Other messages regarding the game should just include Viking in the title.

6. An NMR on the first turn, or 2 total NMR’s, will result in replacement. The game will be paused to allow any replacement to settle into his or her new role as a Viking.

7. The following actions will occur in the case of an NMR and I cannot obtain an order submittal in a timely fashion:

7.1. No orders received results in CD (Civil Disorder - all units are ordered to Hold).
    7.2. No orders received for Build or Retreat phases results in the following:
      7.2.1. Unordered Retreating Units will be Disbanded.
      7.2.2. Unordered available Builds will not be built.
      7.2.3. Unordered Disbands during Winter will be selected as follows:
        7.2.3.1. Farthest unit from the original SCs
        7.2.3.2. Fleets before Armies in case of a tie
        7.2.3.3. Alphabetical order if still a tie

8. Territory abbreviations may be used, and will appear on the turn maps (exactly as they appear in the Start Position map posted here). Territory full names are available on the map posted in this section without units, for reference.

9. Nation selection will follow Blind Auction Rules. Do not discuss preferences prior to completion of the Blind Auction and Nation assignments. Blind Auction procedure details are as follows:

9.1. Each player has 160 points to spend on bids for all of the Nations in the game.
    9.2. You must spend at least one point on every Nation in the game and no more than 100 on any one specific Nation.
    9.3. You must only bid in whole numbers, no fractions or decimals are allowed.
    9.4. You must spend all 160 of your points and will be asked by the GM to re-submit if your total is less or more than 160.
    9.5. Your bids will be evaluated from the highest points allocated to the lowest, regardless of the order you list them. However, in cases where you bid the same amount on more than one nation, whichever is listed first is considered your "highest" bid, all the way down to the bottom-most being considered your "lowest" bid, and this ranking will affect the order in which your bids are evaluated (see para. 9.8).
    9.6. Players not interested in bidding may express "no preference". In this case they will receive 20 points allocated to each Nation, with their order from "highest" to "lowest" randomly generated (See para. 9.8).
    9.7. Players may change their bids up until the moment the GM has received the bid from the last player, after which bids may not be changed.
    9.8. The GM will then review the bids of all players and identify the most points spent on any Nation(s). Where a player has more than one bid of that value for Nations not already allocated to any player, only his highest ranking bid of that value will be considered.
    9.9. If only one player has the high bid on any of the highest bid Nations, that player is assigned that Nation for the game and both the player and Nation are removed from the bidding. This process is then repeated for the next highest number of points bid on any Nation.
    9.10. In the event of a tie bid, where two or more players have bid the same high amount on the same Nation and both are equally ranked by the order listed, the GM will randomly determine which player receives the disputed Nation.
    9.11. The process continues until every player in the game has been assigned a Nation.
    9.12. Players are forbidden to discuss their bidding, strategy, or even if they are simply choosing "no preference", with any of the other players in the game.

Vikings
1. Mouse
2. AirsoftAlex
3. bluestreaksoccer
4. GhostEcho
5. Bazza
6. mambam14
7. diplomat42
8. carter342

Reserves (in the hut)
1. KidneyBean
2. Pharaoh of nerds
Last edited by UpQuark on 26 Aug 2012, 04:47, edited 13 times in total.
practically massless elementary particle
UpQuark

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (986)
All-game rating: (898)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Viking Diplomacy IV Signups Open : 0/8

Postby Mouse » 13 Aug 2012, 01:57

Sign me up...

So, we are all "vikings" sort of the everyone is a pirate "thing"?
Rape, Pillage, and Cheese!
Mouse
Premium Member

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (902)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Viking Diplomacy IV Signups Open : 1/8

Postby Mouse » 13 Aug 2012, 02:06

You know what this variant needs? It needs random invasions of farmers and peasants! Like once a turn like five farmer units pop up and start farming. If the farmer unit is not dislodged by the end of the turn then they convert an adjacent viking into a farmer! It is sort of a zombie game but with farmers vs. vikings!
Rape, Pillage, and Cheese!
Mouse
Premium Member

All-game rating: (902)

Postby AirsoftAlex » 13 Aug 2012, 02:26

I'll join. And after 8 players have signed up, do we pm you with our bids?
/\/|AirsoftAlex|\/\ "Just shut up and fight."
AirsoftAlex

All-game rating: (979)

Postby UpQuark » 13 Aug 2012, 02:36

Once all 8 Viking slots are filled, I will send a PM confirming your participation and explaining again the Bid rules, and allow 1-2 days for all the bids to be submitted.

After that I will announce the results - and we will be moved to our own topic in the Active Games section. With the bid results announced, Spring 950 diplomatic action will occur (5 days)..

I will send PMs with every seasonal update posting, and 24 hours prior to each deadline as a reminder (if I have not yet received orders).

You are welcome to submit your bid early, but may not discuss your bid or strategy with other players until after the results are announced.

Note that I have not yet posted the map with initial (starting) units - you may want to consider those prior to placing a bid. Some nations begin with armies "stranded" on islands...

Good Luck, and welcome. I am running Sengoku as well,so you can review that for an example (especially the start and bid result topics).

UpQuark
UpQuark

Re: Viking Diplomacy IV Signups Open : 2/8

Postby bluestreaksoccer » 13 Aug 2012, 02:42

Upquark, I beg pardon for the NMR in sengoku and request a second chance. I'm in.
"LIVE. DIE. REPEAT" -how I play diplomacy
bluestreaksoccer

Standard rating: (852)
All-game rating: (855)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby UpQuark » 13 Aug 2012, 02:49

bluestreaksoccer wrote:Upquark, I beg pardon for the NMR in sengoku and request a second chance. I'm in.

1. You were done anyway - the combined stab effort by Yellow and Purple was very well executed, and would have left your units split and without support.

2. You now have a standing record noone can beat - at best, it can be tied! To be eliminated in Year 1 of a Dip game! Gold Medal! Did you read janepeg's post about it in Strategy section?

Use provisional orders to prevent a repeat occurrence... you can always change them prior to the deadline. Most of the good players do this.

Sengoku was not your only NMR - please ensure you are committed to playing prior to confirming. It is important to all the other players, so we all have a pleasant shared experience. It is selfish to disregard the impact an NMR can have on your fellow players. In cases of life emergencies, communicate with your GM as soon as possible.

UpQuark
UpQuark

Postby AirsoftAlex » 13 Aug 2012, 02:53

Thanks, and I'm new to forum games, but I have played diplomacy. So my newbie question is: do players who wish to speak in secret contact each other by PM? Is it like a PM is a message in the normal website game, and a post is similar to a public press? Thanks, I'm sure I will enjoy this game.

Ps: is there a way to make the forum alert you to any new messages on a particular section (such as this)
/\/|AirsoftAlex|\/\ "Just shut up and fight."
AirsoftAlex

All-game rating: (979)

Postby bluestreaksoccer » 13 Aug 2012, 02:56

UpQuark wrote:
bluestreaksoccer wrote:Upquark, I beg pardon for the NMR in sengoku and request a second chance. I'm in.

1. You were done anyway - the combined stab effort by Yellow and Purple was very well executed, and would have left your units split and without support.

2. You now have a standing record noone can beat - at best, it can be tied! To be eliminated in Year 1 of a Dip game! Gold Medal! Did you read janepeg's post about it in Strategy section?

Use provisional orders to prevent a repeat occurrence... you can always change them prior to the deadline. Most of the good players do this.

Sengoku was not your only NMR - please ensure you are committed to playing prior to confirming. It is important to all the other players, so we all have a pleasant shared experience. It is selfish to disregard the impact an NMR can have on your fellow players. In cases of life emergencies, communicate with your GM as soon as possible.

UpQuark

I read janepegs post, and died inside a little bit inside.

I will try the provisional order thingy probably.

I have NMRd like 3 times in the year I have been active and the dozens of games I have played. Usually because I thought I had sent orders...and forgot. I will not NMR...you can kill me I'd I do.
"LIVE. DIE. REPEAT" -how I play diplomacy
bluestreaksoccer

Standard rating: (852)
All-game rating: (855)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Viking Diplomacy IV Signups Open : 3/8

Postby UpQuark » 13 Aug 2012, 02:58

We already had that ceremony:

Seppuku.jpg

I can imagine it is hard to be so renowned for such a feat.

Do not despair - perhaps you are a better Viking than Samurai! With 8 starting units, it will be hard to match your previous accomplishment...

Note that the variants I am choosing appear simpler than they are, as they do not have extensive rule modifications or special powers. This appearance can be deceiving. Like chess, the basic rules of Diplomacy are simple but the execution can be quite complex.

Sengoku is quite confined (similar to a crowded Dip). Viking includes the potential for multiple and separate races to the winning SC total (up to 3 nations could reach the 26 SC total in the same year), and most nations have divided forces.
Last edited by UpQuark on 13 Aug 2012, 03:05, edited 2 times in total.
UpQuark

Next

Return to Viking Diplomacy