There's A Spy Among Us! (Resistance)

A small and quick-play mafia style game. No player eliminations.

Moderators: condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip, bkbkbk, Telleo

There's A Spy Among Us! (Resistance)

Postby Nanook » 05 Jan 2019, 18:42

The HAMBURGER LOYALISTS are a staunch, upright group of people. But wait! The captain of the HL has just received word from a confidential and super reliable source that the group has been infiltrated by members of their longstanding rival, the HOTDOG CONSORTIUM.

This is a game of Resistance with vanilla mechanics--there will be flavor, but it will not affect gameplay in any way, it'll just be silly fun.

I'd like to start by January 14 if we have at least 5 by then, if not then I'll keep signups open but we probably won't start until the end of January or first week of February.

Here's the wikipedia for how to play: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Resistance_(game)

The short version is: good guys want to pass missions, bad guys want to fail missions. Each round, the Mission Leader picks a team, and everyone votes to let that team go on the mission or to reject it and have the next Mission Leader pick a new team. When a team is accepted, the people on the team submit secret pass/fail votes to the GM. Good guys HAVE to pass the mission, bad guys have the choice (but both alignments have to submit a vote to the GM). 5 consecutive rejected teams is a bad guys win.

For this game, each round will be max 48 hours (you can pick your team early!), and if the first proposed team of a round is rejected, 24 hours after that. So for example: In Round 1, Player A is Mission Leader, and after 48 hours proposes a team of Player A and Player B. That team is rejected. Player B is the next Mission Leader, and has 24 hours to propose their team. In Round 2, the first Mission Leader goes back to having 48 hours, the second has 24, etc., etc.

Teams are proposed using Giant Blue Letters. The GM will end discussion as soon as he sees a team proposed, and players will have 24 hours to submit accept/reject votes to the GM--important note! Good guys do NOT have to accept a team. Once the GM has received all the accept/reject votes (failure to submit one counts as an ACCEPT vote), he will post in thread who voted what and whether the team is accepted or rejected--if it is rejected, the process will repeat with the next Mission Leader. If it is accepted, the game will move to the PASS/FAIL voting.

When a team is accepted, there will be no discussion until the mission is passed or failed. The players that have been voted onto the mission submit via PM a PASS or FAIL vote--good guys MUST pass the mission, while bad guys have the choice to. However, both alignments MUST submit votes, for balance reasons. Once the GM has received all Pass/Fail votes, he'll come up with some clever flavor and post in the thread whether the mission passed or failed, and the game will move on to the next Round.

If a player of either alignment NMRs a pass/fail vote, it will be counted as a pass vote.

Signups:
Firestorm94
Aeschines
UFO Fever
Agnimandur

Reserves:
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: There's A Spy Among Us! (Resistance)

Postby UFO Fever » 05 Jan 2019, 21:22

Resistance, though futile, is fun. I'll play.
Silver Classicist.
Acting former bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:
Undefeated as scum*.
Dad, if you’re reading this, who the hell taught you how to use the forum?
UFO Fever

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1157)
All-game rating: (1163)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby RedSun » 09 Jan 2019, 17:11

Count me as a likely in. Unless I’m swamped with stuff I will be a part of the game.
Groups:
The Glorious Holy Asterian Empire in CYOC
RedSun

Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Agnimandur » 30 Jan 2019, 01:34

This seems less complicated than mafia. I hope there won't be 1000 posts D1 :)

if this happens I'll play.
Have you ever watched the movie Cinderella backwards? It's about a woman who learns her place.

Liet Kynes in Dune Mafia
Christmas Enthusiast in Christmas Mafia
Willow Rosenberg in Fable 12 Mafia
Rupert Giles in Fable 13 Mafia
Agnimandur

Standard rating: (965)
All-game rating: (964)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Nanook » 30 Jan 2019, 01:38

Agnimandur wrote:This seems less complicated than mafia. I hope there won't be 1000 posts D1 :)

if this happens I'll play.

It’ll happen! Resistance typically runs on sort of an opposite curve to mafia—less talking in the early game, more talking in the late game.

I think the last resistance game I ran there was...maybe a day and a half’s worth of posts in a mafia game, for the entire game. If memory serves.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Agnimandur » 30 Jan 2019, 01:39

May I suggest you use the Avalon version of Resistance? It makes the game more complicated and strategically deep. Hopefully not to mafia levels though.
Have you ever watched the movie Cinderella backwards? It's about a woman who learns her place.

Liet Kynes in Dune Mafia
Christmas Enthusiast in Christmas Mafia
Willow Rosenberg in Fable 12 Mafia
Rupert Giles in Fable 13 Mafia
Agnimandur

Standard rating: (965)
All-game rating: (964)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Nanook » 30 Jan 2019, 01:40

I’ll run this as soon as I have 5-7 signups with a reserve. We’re currently at 4.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Postby Nanook » 30 Jan 2019, 01:41

Agnimandur wrote:May I suggest you use the Avalon version of Resistance? It makes the game more complicated and strategically deep. Hopefully not to mafia levels though.

I do love Avalon, but for this run we’ll just be playing straight resistance. In the future we may try another game of Avalon though!
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Return to Resistance