Premier League Mafia

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: condude1, bkbkbk, sjg11, Zoomzip, Telleo

Premier League Mafia

Postby JoeHoya06 » 10 Jan 2019, 08:24

I’ve had an idea for a game kicking around in my head for a while – probably dating back to Main Event Mafia – and after returning for Christmas Mafia, have decided to put everything together in one place and pitch the idea to the community. My thanks to Condude for lending his insight and experience in helping me balance things and already teaching me a thing or two about how to think about game design.

PlayDip Town F.C. is in trouble.

After shocking the football* world and earning promotion to the Premier League, things haven’t been easy for the Townies; late in the season, PDTFC is in the relegation zone, thanks in part to some questionable summer signings and poor in-game tactical decisions. Relegation, and the loss of revenue that comes with it, would spell doom for the club. With a concerted team effort, though, there’s no reason to think the Townies can’t avoid the drop.

But not everyone at Lylo Lane Stadium is dedicated to the cause of staying up. Some players in the First Team are actually Purveyors of the Dark Arts, experts in all things sneaky on the pitch: shirt-pulling, jostling on set pieces, diving…you name it, they’ve done it. The PDA are hellbent on making sure the club goes down…and stays down.

The loyal Townies can stave off relegation and keep the club afloat by purging their ranks of these traitors. The Purveyors of the Dark Arts, meanwhile, will be working to get those loyal to the club transferred out in an effort to destroy it from the inside.

Can PlayDip Town F.C. continue its storybook run in the Premier League? Or will the shadowy forces trying to orchestrate the club’s demise succeed in their mission?

Ladies and gentlemen, get ready for Premier League Mafia!

*I am American, but most of the content that I consume refers to it as “football,” so it gets into my head and I find myself using that word without even thinking (i.e., not in a pretentious way). With that in mind, and since I’m calling this “Premier League Mafia” (for lack of a better soccer-related name for the time being), I will refer to it as “football” throughout the game. Don’t @ me.

The Basics
• The game is designed for 11 or 12 players.
• There will be a handful of scum and a larger handful of townies.
PlayDip Town F.C. wins when all of the Purveyors of the Dark Arts are eliminated from the club. The PDA win when their remaining numbers are greater than or equal to those aligned with PDTFC.
• Knowledge of football isn’t required, but it might make the flavor text more enjoyable. Anything you need to know to play the game will be explained in layman’s terms.

Eliminations
• Let’s keep the stakes a little lower…nobody is getting killed in this game. We’ll still have a town vote every day, and a player will be removed via this vote, but we’re going to call it a “transfer” instead.
• “No Transfer” is not a valid option. A player will be eliminated at the end of every day phase.
• The PDA may only eliminate a player on nights when the Transfer Window is open. I will announce at the end of each day whether the Window is open or closed. There will be a consistent set of guidelines based on in-game factors that dictate whether or not the Window is open; those guidelines will not necessarily be known to the town.

Other Stuff
• The PDA will have night chat only. If they were plotting in the locker room during the day, they’d get caught!
• My initial thought was to extend the deadlines for either the day phase, the night phase, or both. I will propose 96-hour day phases with 24ish-hour night phases; 72-hour days and 48-hour nights are an option as well. If everyone prefers the usual, though, I can go 72/24. I was reading an old AAR and there were proposals for extending the phase lengths in some games, and I was considering it anyway, so I thought I would include it in this game, with the idea being that a busy day IRL won’t torpedo you during a day phase, and an extended night will give folks a breather in between days (and allows the scum to not be as frantic with its discussion time).
• If day phases are 96 hours, I would allow “End Day” votes. If not, then there will be no mechanism for ending the day early.

I’m open to input, especially on the deadlines. I’m working on a full ruleset that will be Condude Approved™ before the game would move on to sign-ups.

(On that note, what is the process for moving from “In Development” to “Pending?”)
We're the builders of their destiny.

Gold Classicist, Mafia forum interloper
JoeHoya06
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1057
All-game rating: 1116
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Premier League Mafia

Postby kimpossible » 15 Jan 2019, 03:44

In general, I feel like 72 hours for the day phase is pretty much the sweet spot. I'd approve of 48-hour night phases though. Even as town, sometimes I feel like "Dear god, I need a longer break."
Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)

Postby JoeHoya06 » 15 Jan 2019, 07:00

kimpossible wrote:In general, I feel like 72 hours for the day phase is pretty much the sweet spot. I'd approve of 48-hour night phases though. Even as town, sometimes I feel like "Dear god, I need a longer break."

My first thought was "longer nights," but I don't know how folks feel about that; like, yeah, a lot happens in 72 hours, but spending two full days away from the game might turn people off in regards to, "oh crap that's right, that game is happening." But hearing you say that makes me feel better about my initial thought. I'm sure the scum would appreciate it, too.

JoeHoya06
Premium Member

Postby sjg11 » 15 Jan 2019, 12:29

JoeHoya06 wrote:
But not everyone at Lylo Lane Stadium is dedicated to the cause of staying up. Some players in the First Team are actually Purveyors of the Dark Arts, experts in all things sneaky on the pitch: shirt-pulling, jostling on set pieces, diving…you name it, they’ve done it. The PDA are hellbent on making sure the club goes down…and stays down.

This sounds depressingly like me on a football pitch. I was once playing CM and me and my midfield partner managed to commit over 20 fouls in the first half. We'd scored an early goal and most of our team was over 6 foot while most of their team wasn't so we were very comfortable on set pieces and kinda wanted to slow the game down to an increasingly turgid crawl.

This was helped by the fact that the ref was an extraordinarily lenient bloke. It took until midway through the second half for either of us to get a yellow card at which point my partner was immediately subbed off so we could begin again.

Good times...
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby JoeHoya06 » 15 Jan 2019, 17:51

sjg11 wrote:
JoeHoya06 wrote:

This sounds depressingly like me on a football pitch. I was once playing CM and me and my midfield partner managed to commit over 20 fouls in the first half. We'd scored an early goal and most of our team was over 6 foot while most of their team wasn't so we were very comfortable on set pieces and kinda wanted to slow the game down to an increasingly turgid crawl.

This was helped by the fact that the ref was an extraordinarily lenient bloke. It took until midway through the second half for either of us to get a yellow card at which point my partner was immediately subbed off so we could begin again.

Good times...

Sounds like SJG is signed up and has his alignment already...

JoeHoya06
Premium Member

Postby sjg11 » 15 Jan 2019, 23:59

SJG's morals, like his alignment, are DEEPLY flexible.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)
Timezone: GMT

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 16 Jan 2019, 15:45

sjg11 wrote:SJG's morals, like his alignment, are DEEPLY flexible.

Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413

Return to In Development