Behind the Scenes Mafia

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: condude1, bkbkbk, sjg11, Zoomzip, Telleo

Behind the Scenes Mafia

Postby condude1 » 06 Apr 2018, 06:57

Ok, so I don't have a ruleset for this yet, just a really good idea.

3 players are the "Council".

Each player gets 5 votes.

Instead of voting in thread, a player can buy off the Council with his votes, asking them to do any number of things. Really want to edit that post? That'll be 3 votes! Kill that guy? That's 4! etc. Alternately, everyone gets a normal lynch vote and a few votes to buy off the Council, but this is better from a "Cost to your actions" standpoint.

Councilmembers have to pay votes to do things for players (I'm thinking each one has different costs, so they can lie about what things cost to draw votes from other councilmembers). These prices will be hidden from everyone except the councilmember themselves. They'll vaguely resemble roles, but generally be more thematically intrigue-ey.

Players can also bank votes to save for later days to go after the really big ticket items.

Councilmembers win by accumulating the most votes throughout the game. The councilmember with the most wins, the second most draws, and the least loses. They are bulletproof and lynchproof, and have no lynch votes themselves. Players may PM councilmembers and vice versa freely.

Thoughts on the idea? Alternately, I considered forcing the council to agree on actions, but this seems like it'll generate more conflict.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Behind the Scenes Mafia

Postby sinnybee » 06 Apr 2018, 07:37

How many votes does it cost for ERP? :P
Asking for a friend.
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby condude1 » 06 Apr 2018, 08:18

You gain a vote if you can stay in character the whole time! :mrgreen:
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

condude1

Postby shadowface » 06 Apr 2018, 09:22

I love corruption! Sounds fun. Though I'll note the council's VC is a really sad but true representation of politics.
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)

Postby kimpossible » 06 Apr 2018, 16:57

Weeeeird, but interesting. What's the town VC, since Council members can't be lynched? Can town win concurrently with Council members?
Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby condude1 » 06 Apr 2018, 17:33

kimbyrle wrote:Weeeeird, but interesting. What's the town VC, since Council members can't be lynched? Can town win concurrently with Council members?

Yes. Of the non-Council players, there will be some normalish number of scum, and some normalish number of town. Councilmembers have a completely separate VC.

condude1

Postby kimpossible » 06 Apr 2018, 17:46

condude1 wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:Weeeeird, but interesting. What's the town VC, since Council members can't be lynched? Can town win concurrently with Council members?

Yes. Of the non-Council players, there will be some normalish number of scum, and some normalish number of town. Councilmembers have a completely separate VC.

So they are completely 3P. Cool.

Player votes, then... the 5 you start with, they're real votes? I can put 5 on one player if I haven't spent any? Can they be spread out?

Her?
kimpossible

Postby condude1 » 06 Apr 2018, 18:17

kimbyrle wrote:
condude1 wrote:

So they are completely 3P. Cool.

Player votes, then... the 5 you start with, they're real votes? I can put 5 on one player if I haven't spent any? Can they be spread out?

Hmmm, I'm still not sure on whether spreading out the votes should be allowed, or if the true vote counts should be released at all. I have to do some pondering there.

But yes, the idea is that everyone starts with 5 votes that are real votes (same playing field), so that you weaken your vote power to increase your night power. Like an actually functional version of Big, Medium, Small.

condude1

Postby kimpossible » 06 Apr 2018, 18:25

Maybe this is obvious, but you only pay your votes if the Councilmember actually does the thing agreed to, right? If ZZ agrees to off Shadow for me then doesn't make good, I'm not out my 4 votes?

Her?
kimpossible

Postby condude1 » 06 Apr 2018, 20:06

kimbyrle wrote:Maybe this is obvious, but you only pay your votes if the Councilmember actually does the thing agreed to, right? If ZZ agrees to off Shadow for me then doesn't make good, I'm not out my 4 votes?

You'd only pay after the deed was done.

ACTUALLY, maybe letting the player and councilmember decide the order of events adds an extra layer of intrigue?

condude1

Next

Return to In Development