Ten Duel Commandments Mafia

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: condude1, bkbkbk, sjg11, Zoomzip, Telleo

Ten Duel Commandments Mafia

Postby shadowface » 30 Mar 2018, 21:23

Finally, the Hamilton themed Mafia game that this site has been missing! I will be running this game here in September. The character roles will be hidden, so I'll check those with an experienced GM who isn't going to be playing. All other mechanics and rules are below. Please give input!

Overview
The game will have 12 players, 9 Federalists and 3 Democratic Republicans. Characters and flavour are from the beloved musical Hamilton by Lin-Manuel Miranda. The main twist of the game is that players can only be eliminated through dueling.

Victory conditions
The Federalists win when all of the Democratic Republicans have been eliminated.
The Democratic Republicans win when they equal or outnumber the Federalists.

Duels
  • In each day phase there will be one duel. There is no typical lynch in addition to the duel.
  • A duel is between 2 players. Any player can declare a duel at any time in the day, unless a duel has already been called. When declaring a duel, a player must in the same post:
    a)Name who they will be dueling (in giant orange (#FF8000) writing)
    b)Declare: "Weehawken. Dawn. Guns Drawn."
    c)Name a Second (in large green (#00BF00) writing)
  • From the timestamp at which the duel is declared, there will be 24 hours until the official End of Day. The GM will attempt to recognize a properly declared duel as soon as possible, and confirm the official end of day time accordingly.
  • Within the 24 hour time period, the day continues, and votes can be cast in giant red (#FF0000) writing.
  • When a duel has begun, the two participants in the duel become the only two lynch candidates. Votes made for anyone but the duel participants will not be counted. There is no way to reverse a duel once it has begun.
  • Players have one vote each unless otherwise stated.
  • In addition to red voting, the player who has been challenged to a duel can nominate a Second using large green (#00BF00) writing as well. They must include the text "You're on" in this post. Should that player fail to name a Second before EOD, that is legal, but they will forfeit an opportunity discussed below. Once chosen, the selection of Second cannot be changed.
  • The Second: Should one or both of the duel members be killed, whoever they declared as their Second will have an extra vote the next day. This bonus vote is only counted for a single day. There is no limit to how many times a player can be chosen as a Second - they could even be named a Second by both members of the same day's duel.
  • Players cannot vote End Day.
  • Should the GM be late to officiating the deadline, the game will continue in overtime until the GM posts that the day is over.
  • At End Day, votes will be counted, and the player with the most votes will lose the duel and be killed.
  • The game will then enter the night phase.

Night phase
  • The night phase will last 48 hours.
  • During the night phase, the previous day's duel victim is presented with an extra ability before they leave the game. They can either
    a)Fire - which will kill the other duel participant of the previous day.
    b)Delope – ‘throw away their shot’. The other duel participant will continue playing.
  • This order must be submitted by the end of the night phase.
  • Some players will have active abilities as specified in their roles. These players should submit their orders during the night phase.
  • Players should not post in the night phase, unless they are posting a meaningless, endlessly looping gif of a crab walking side to side.
  • There will be no traditional night kill.
  • The Democratic Republicans will have communication ability during both the day and night phases.

Example of a duel process:

We'll assume shadow challenges nanook to a duel and chooses kimbyrle as a second.
shadow wrote:nanook
Weehawken. Dawn. Guns Drawn.

kimbyrle

The duel is now between shadow and nanook. Nanook chooses a second.
nanook wrote:You're on.

condude1

24 hours after shadow's declaration, the Day ends. At that point, we'll say that nanook has 10 lynch votes, and Shadow 2, so Nanook is the lynch and is eliminated.
The night phase begins. We'll say Nanook thinks shadow is scum, so he submits an order to kill her. The next morning, shadow is eliminated, and a new duel begins. Both kimbyrle and condude1 have one extra vote for this day, as they were chosen as the Seconds of the now deceased players.

Roles and abilities
  • All player’s characters will be publicly revealed at the start of the game. The characters are as follows:
    - Aaron Burr
    - Alexander Hamilton
    - Angelica Schuyler
    - Eliza Schuyler
    - George Washington
    - Hercules Mulligan
    - King George
    - James Madison
    - James Reynolds
    - Marquis de Lafayette
    - Philip Hamilton
    - Thomas Jefferson
  • Characters will be allocated randomly, irrespective of faction.
  • Characters may have role abilities. If this is the case, the role abilities will not be revealed publicly. They will be related to the flavour of the characters, but very loosely. The power of roles will not correlate with the eminence of the characters in the musical.

Other Rules
  • Do not copy or paste any private messages, especially those from the GM.
  • Do not edit or delete posts.
  • Do not ghost post once you're dead, or contact other players about the game unless you have permission from the GM to do so.
  • If you think a rule has been broken, please message the GM instead of discussing it in the thread.
  • If you are unable to continue playing, you are not able to keep up with the game, or if the game is psychologically messing with you to the point that it is no longer enjoyable, feel free to ask the GM for a substitute to take your place.
  • If you have a communication ability, make sure to CC the GM into all messages.
  • Should you fire before the count of 10 in a duel, you'll be modkilled. That ain't funny RIP Philip ;)

Flavor Suggestions
  • Act in character when discussing RL situations. For example, if you are Hamilton, instead of saying you have to leave the thread to do homework, say you need to write essays defending the Constitution.
  • Appropriate Harb's signature and end accusatory posts with "I have the honour to be your obedient servant."
  • Quote the musical whenever possible. Quote your own character for bonus points.
Last edited by shadowface on 05 Apr 2018, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Ten Duel Commandments Mafia

Postby condude1 » 30 Mar 2018, 22:09

I'm your huckleberry!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)

Postby mhsmith0 » 30 Mar 2018, 22:37

FYI, without a night kill, this is probably imbalanced in favor of town. Off the cuff I'd suggest making it 8/4, but it's possible that 9/4 is best.

(note that it's possible that other roles will help balance it, but since only duels can kill, I'm somewhat skeptical that wolves will get the kill power or offsetting power they need to give them a fair chance)
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby shadowface » 30 Mar 2018, 22:57

mhsmith0 wrote:FYI, without a night kill, this is probably imbalanced in favor of town. Off the cuff I'd suggest making it 8/4, but it's possible that 9/4 is best.

(note that it's possible that other roles will help balance it, but since only duels can kill, I'm somewhat skeptical that wolves will get the kill power or offsetting power they need to give them a fair chance)

I've been thinking about how to balance this, and I tended to think the same; that it might be a little townsided.

One thing to consider, though, is that the scum can kill another townie for free every time they get killed. For the scum to lose, they get 2 free town kills - in that way, it is kind of like 2 nightkills in total for the scum.

If I do change the ratio, I'd do 9:4. Also, then I have room for John Laurens to be a character!

shadowface

Postby mhsmith0 » 30 Mar 2018, 23:04

The vengekill does help a little bit wrt balance (without it, 9:3 is just completely out of whack), game structure is essentially nightless with 9 vanilla townies and 3 mafia goons (possibly with some additional power details, since it's not a fully open setup)

But you're essentially modeling it as:

Scum need about six mislynches to win (the vengeful shot in most cases prevents that number from rising, but ALSO prevents scum from dueling each other, which itself could be useful info to town; similarly, town could vengekill scum, and then the number rises again)
Town needs three correct lynches to win

That's a fairly substantial imbalance in what each faction needs in order to win. Anyway, that's just my quick take; if you want more detailed thoughts (particularly since setup isn't fully open) please let me know and we can chat about design at your convenience.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 30 Mar 2018, 23:09

I'm still voting shadow even though it's her game.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby shadowface » 30 Mar 2018, 23:17

mhsmith0 wrote:Scum need about six mislynches to win (the vengeful shot in most cases prevents that number from rising, but ALSO prevents scum from dueling each other, which itself could be useful info to town; similarly, town could vengekill scum, and then the number rises again)
Town needs three correct lynches to win

This sounds perfect, though. Because by odds, with 25% scum, the town should hit scum 25% of the time. 3 correct lynches should on average take them 12 full lynches, unless they actually play the game and scumhunting. FWIW I've never thought about it like this before, but doesn't it make sense that there should be more mislynches than lynches, just because there are more townies in the first place?

And scum duelling each other is badass. Scum venge-killing each other is even more badass. Sounds like the kind of idiotic thing I would do.

shadowface

Postby shadowface » 30 Mar 2018, 23:21

nanooktheeskimo wrote:I'm still voting shadow even though it's her game.

I may or may not have designed this game based on what I WISH I could do every time I'm in a game with nanook.

shadowface

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 30 Mar 2018, 23:23

shadowface wrote:

I may or may not have designed this game based on what I WISH I could do every time I'm in a game with nanook.

If you were playing this game, my very first post would be to challenge you to a duel. 100%. Regardless of our alignments. :D
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby shadowface » 30 Mar 2018, 23:31

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
shadowface wrote:

If you were playing this game, my very first post would be to challenge you to a duel. 100%. Regardless of our alignments. :D

Unfortunately, you can't challenge someone to a duel when there's already one active, and I would have already declared a duel against you within seconds of the game start. Sorry. 8-)

shadowface

Next

Return to In Development