Iron Chef Mafia (input welcome)

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: condude1, bkbkbk, sjg11, Zoomzip, Telleo

Iron Chef Mafia (input welcome)

Postby kimpossible » 23 Mar 2018, 18:33

So, uh... Shadow is not wrong. When I don't have a game taking up my attention, that attention turns to game design.

This obviously steals from Spy vs Spy and, by extension, Galaxy Quest, plus my idea for teams and the secret ingredient.

Iron Chef Mafia

Players: 12, divided into factions of 9 and 3

There are two factions in this game: the Chefs and the Saboteurs. Both teams will be trying to eliminate the other; the Chefs win when all Saboteurs have been eliminated, and the Saboteurs win when they achieve parity with the Chefs.

Roles
There are two power roles in the game: the Iron Chef and the Challenger. These roles will be of opposite alignments, but will be assigned independently of alignment; i.e., the Iron Chef may be a Chef or a Saboteur. The players of each role will be announced at the start of the game, but their alignments will not be known.

The Iron Chef and the Challenger are both immune to lynch and night kill, may not be voted and may not be targeted. The PRs do not count toward either team's win condition; i.e., Chefs only need to eliminate the non-PR Saboteurs to win, and Saboteurs must reduce the non-PR Chefs to 2 or fewer players to win.

Champions and Challengers
Starting Night 0, each of the PRs will choose teams. The two will alternate choosing team members, with the Saboteur PR always choosing first. Team choices will be submitted in a private PM message between the GM and both PRs. All choices are final once submitted. If an odd number of players exist, the last player will be randomly assigned to a team. If teams have not been completed by the end of the night phase, any unchosen players will be randomly assigned so that each team has an equal number of players, or within 1 of each other. Each team may be comprised of any combination of Chefs and Saboteurs.

At the start of the next day phase the teams will be announced, but not which team is assigned to which PR. Players on each team will privately receive a link to a Quicktopic board where they will be able to communicate while competing for the Secret Ingredient. Chefs on each team will not know which PR they are playing for, Saboteurs will know which PR they are playing for. The PR for each team will simply be called Head Chef in the Quicktopic board. All other players should use their PlayDip username.

The Secret Ingredient
Each day a Secret Ingredient will be determined by the GM. This will be a specific ingredient, but won’t be overly specific; for example, an ingredient might be “blue cheese” rather than just “cheese,” but won’t be Roquefort, or some particular brand.

Each team may ask Yes/No questions in their team chat to attempt to determine the ingredient. Any team member may ask questions and there is no limit on how many may be asked. Questions must be about qualities of the ingredient and not specific guesses, though team members may suggest guesses. Ingredient guesses will be submitted to the GM by the PR for their team. Each PR may submit guesses at any time before end of day, but each is limited to a total of five guesses. In order to not advantage the team with more active players, the ingredient will be awarded by various rules surrounding the number of guesses submitted.

Examples explaining the rules for awarding the ingredient:

Example A: Nanook and Shadowface both identify the ingredient within five guesses. The ingredient is awarded randomly.

Example B: Nanook correctly guesses the ingredient on his third try, while Shadowface submits only incorrect guesses by the end of the day. Nanook receives the ingredient.

Example C: Shadowface submits five incorrect guesses, and Nanook only submits three incorrect guesses by the end of the day. Shadowface receives the ingredient.

Example D: Neither side successfully guesses the ingredient after five guesses each. The ingredient is not awarded.

Example E: Neither side submits five guesses, and neither side identifies the ingredient. The ingredient is not awarded.

Unsuccessful guesses may be communicated back to the team in their team board. Team boards will be deleted once the Secret Ingredient has been awarded or lost. The winner of the secret ingredient will be announced in the main thread, and which PR each team was playing for will then be revealed.

The PR who wins the secret ingredient each day may choose one use for it:

Option A: Choose a player to make immune to night kill. The immune player will be informed that they had immunity at the start of the next day.
Option B: Cast an extra vote. Both votes must be placed on the same player. In a scenario where the PR receives the ingredient at the end of the day, I will give a 15-minute grace period during which to choose to use the extra vote.

Cheat Card
Each PR has a single-use Cheat Card that may be used to steal the ingredient the next day without guessing. These must be played during the night phase via PM directly to the GM. If both cards are played the same night, they will cancel each other out.

Removal from Kitchen Stadium
Players vote for a player to eliminate each day. All players, including the PRs, will have a vote. Players may vote for any other player regardless of their team for the day. At the end of the day, the player with the most votes will be accused of sabotage and kicked out of Kitchen Stadium. Self-votes and no lynch votes are not allowed. Ties will be settled by whoever has held the top position for the longest continuous period of time.

Night Phase
The Saboteurs will have team chat during the night phase only. Each night, they will choose a Chef to poison. While there are more than four players in the game, Saboteurs may only kill a member of a team that had at least one Saboteur in it that day.

The night kill will resolve after team selections are finalized. If this results in one team having 2 more players than the other, the Saboteur PR will choose a player to switch between the teams.

Example A: Both PRs have an even number of players on their team. The night kill results in one team having only 1 more player than the other, so no personnel changes will take place.

Example B: Nanook has chosen condude for his team and has one fewer players than Shadowface. Shadowface kills condude, resulting in her team having 2 more players than Nanook's. She sends sjg11 to Nanook's team.

Example C: Shadowface has chosen condude for her team and has one fewer player than Nanook. She then decides to kill condude, resulting in Nanook's team having 2 more players than her own. She steals sjg11 from Nanook's team.

Main Thread
All daytime communication will take place in either the main thread or the Quicktopic boards. General information about team activities in the Quicktopic boards may be discussed in the main thread, but copy-pasting from the team boards into the main thread is prohibited. Quicktopic boards should only be used for discussing the secret ingredient.
Last edited by kimpossible on 19 Apr 2018, 15:57, edited 25 times in total.
Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Iron Chef Mafia (input welcome)

Postby condude1 » 24 Mar 2018, 00:59

I am disappointed that this doesn't involve frying players. Consider all the delightful, delicious possibilities!
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby kimpossible » 24 Mar 2018, 01:12

condude1 wrote:I am disappointed that this doesn't involve frying players. Consider all the delightful, delicious possibilities!

Intriguing. Not sure how to implement. :P

Her?
kimpossible

Postby condude1 » 24 Mar 2018, 01:27

kimbyrle wrote:
condude1 wrote:I am disappointed that this doesn't involve frying players. Consider all the delightful, delicious possibilities!

Intriguing. Not sure how to implement. :P

Let me think on it. There must be some way! ;)
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)

Postby Blackswimmer » 24 Mar 2018, 23:03

This sounds incredibly fun. One thing that jumps out:
Starting Night 0, each of the PRs will choose teams. The two will alternate choosing team members, with the Saboteur PR always choosing first.

Doesn't that mean that N1 when there's (presumably) an odd number of players it will be immediately obvious who is the Saboteur PR due to them having an extra team member?
Ugluk wrote:Blackswimmer: Sinking in the deep end.

I'll be back
Blackswimmer

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby kimpossible » 24 Mar 2018, 23:21

Blackswimmer wrote:This sounds incredibly fun. One thing that jumps out:
Starting Night 0, each of the PRs will choose teams. The two will alternate choosing team members, with the Saboteur PR always choosing first.

Doesn't that mean that N1 when there's (presumably) an odd number of players it will be immediately obvious who is the Saboteur PR due to them having an extra team member?

Hmm. Point, though it will only be odd if someone avoids the NK. I could randomize the last player between teams if there's an odd number.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby shadowface » 25 Mar 2018, 01:19

I love it kim, this is probably my favorite of your designs yet :D

Though I know the secret ingredient already, don't even need guesses.

Vinegar

Goes well in all dishes, especially cabbageless stir fries!
The begrudging bearer of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:

sjg11 wrote:You seem almost intelligent
shadowface

Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)

Postby mhsmith0 » 25 Mar 2018, 01:22

Obligatory

:P
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby kimpossible » 25 Mar 2018, 03:13

shadowface wrote:I love it kim, this is probably my favorite of your designs yet :D

:D :D :D !!!

Occurred to me while thinking about what Blackswimmer said that I probably don't want to make the PRs wait until the NK is finalized to start choosing teams, so what I might do is have it where if the NK is on the Chef PRs team at the end of the night, the Saboteur has to send over a player of his choice, and if the NK is on the Saboteur's team he gets to steal one from the other team.

I figure "letting" scum make those personnel choices also makes everyone think about the implications of the choices, so it's not an inherent scum advantage.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 25 Mar 2018, 03:24

Also... I guess if one or both PRs are dead, the ingredient challenge just doesn't happen anymore. More reason to keep them alive!

Her?
kimpossible

Next

Return to In Development